POST GAME Round 20 - Broncos vs Storm

Finbar

NYC Player
By any measure they were successful and arguably were the most successful team from 98-2006
What argument can be made for the Storm being the most successful team from 98-2006?

Broncos - 3 premierships, 2 minors
Roosters - 1 premiership, 3 runners-up, 1 minor
Storm - 1 premiership (1 runners-up, 1 minor withheld due to cheating)

If you take ladder positions into account for those years, Broncos are also ahead with 6 top four finishes, Roosters with 5 and Storm with 2 (1 withheld due to cheating).

I can't see anything that suggests that the Storm were the most successful team from 1998-2006, but I am interested to hear what arguments one could use to make this point.

Last edited:

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
What argument can be made for the Storm being the most successful team from 98-2006?

If you take ladder positions into account for those years, Broncos are also ahead with 6 top four finishes, Roosters with 5 and Storm with 2 (1 withheld due to cheating).

I can't see anything that suggests that the Storm were the most successful team from 1998-2006, but I am interested to hear what arguments one could use to make this point.
On a slightly related note, I remember feeling almost embarressed after the 2006 GF that the better team lost. It pains me to say it but we were a bit lucky to win that one. The Storm are the most ruthlessly professional club I've seen in my lifetime. The NRL is tougher now than it was when the Broncos ruled it.

Last edited:

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
On a slightly related note, I remember feeling almost embarressed after the 2006 GF that the better team lost. It pains me to say it but we were a bit lucky to win that one. The Storm are the most ruthlessly professional club I've seen in my lifetime. The NRL is tougher now than it was when the Broncos ruled it.
Do you think the Cowboys fans felt the same 'embarrassment' when we choked in 2015?

Finbar

NYC Player
On a slightly related note, I remember feeling almost embarressed after the 2006 GF that the better team lost
I wasn't embarrassed at all. I was lucky enough to be at that game and loved every second of it! We dug deep and outplayed a team that had just begun rorting the cap.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Do you think the Cowboys fans felt the same 'embarrassment' when we choked in 2015?
I wasn't embarrassed at all. I was lucky enough to be at that game and loved every second of it! We dug deep and outplayed a team that had just begun rorting the cap.
I was at the 2006 GF too, but honestly, I don't remember much about it except feeling like we'd escaped being beaten rather than won.

2015 could've gone either way. The Cowboys winning their first Grand Final after being the easybeats for so many years was something of a consolation. If anyone were going to beat us in a GF, I'm glad it was them.

The Strapper

QCup Player
I was at that grand final too.
It was close but I didn’t feel the better team lost.
What happened to make you think we were lucky to win?

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
I was at that grand final too.
It was close but I didn’t feel the better team lost.
What happened to make you think we were lucky to win?
I recall there being some very dubious refereeing calls that went our way. And the Storm were the better team by far all season. We just beat them on the day that mattered most.

pagey

NRL Captain
I recall there being some very dubious refereeing calls that went our way. And the Storm were the better team by far all season. We just beat them on the day that mattered most.
Which is what the best teams do , right?

Reactions: Dee

Maddy1to9

QCup Player
I reckon we've memorable victories & tries against the current top 4 in the past 5 years except Storm cheater grubs (I fuckin hate’em for good).

In 2015 season, some of the tries and plays we played against Souffs @ANZ & Rotters @Suncorp during finals will ALWAYS remain in my Broncos Highlights reel. Those were fuckin good. They give me Goosebumps. Wonder when we’ll we go back to those fuckin good old times where every fuckin asshole clubs shits in their pants to play against us. I hope it's very very near.

Forget ignorant Thallis & fat ass Gould, we WILL ALWAYS BE THE CLUB WHERE EVER OTHERS'S want to be.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Say what you want but the richest team by a country mile with the most supporters and the biggest pool of playing talent not winning a premiership in over 12 years is completely unacceptable, we should be doing what storm are doing not slinging rocks with bottom dwellers like the Sydney clubs barely struggling to survive to the next season.

Everything needs a rebuild.
We can't afford to cheat the cap or do anything that has the potential to damage the brand's reputation because the club is public. Being able to buy the entire Kangaroos squad, which I've read before we would be able to do, means nothing when we can't spend the cash, so instead we're now implementing incentives like the best training facility in the country and hiring a highly respected up and coming coach. It's a gradual climb out of mediocrity in this sport, assuming you want sustained success, unless you have a superfan in his 70s who is willing to part with shit loads of cash to help his club out or are willing to cheat and wear the consequences if caught.

Last edited:

Finbar

NYC Player
I reckon we've memorable victories & tries against the current top 4 in the past 5 years except Storm cheater grubs
That game we played against the Storm in 2015 down in Melbourne was one of the best games the Broncos have played, especially defensively. They were camped on our line, set after set and the boys held them out again and again and went on to win. I remember thinking during that game that we were a genuine contender.

Maddy1to9

QCup Player
That game we played against the Storm in 2015 down in Melbourne was one of the best games the Broncos have played, especially defensively. They were camped on our line, set after set and the boys held them out again and again and went on to win. I remember thinking during that game that we were a genuine contender.
Yup, we were defensively awesome in that game. We had the mentality that pretty much reflected “we don’t fuckin care if you’re Storm grubs & we hate you”. Them Cheaters had their top 3 years in their side & they had no fuckin counter attack. We were so much strong defensively no matter what came our way in that game. I so wish we continued that game play & mentality from then in thrashing those cheaters.

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
The brick wall, one of my favourite games.
Gould kept yelling, '.. and ANOTHER set of six, surely they can't hold out !'
Meanwhile Bellemy was upstairs going absolutely beserk.

pagey

NRL Captain
Well I'm never one to blame the referees for my side losing - the most pitiful fan trait of all - but I would've understood if Melbourne fans did after that game.
I actually think we got the rub of the green. Have only watched replays of it , so have no emotional connection with it. And you're right, a few dubious decisions and no try to the storm.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich

No, you win. I cannot make an argument (I could but it would require crazy logic)
My original point was though, that Melbourne were successful from the beginning. By any measure they were. You're right though, they weren't the MOST successful or second most either during that period. I got that wrong but it's not that important either. That was hyperbole on my part.

My point was that Melbourne were successful from the beginning and cap cheating didn't get them there. Doesn't mean I don't think they benefited later(intended for the thickheads who read words but fail to comprehend and then invent new shit)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter