Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

See, that's better an actual constructive post.

I still think Tesi has the better pass on him and at fullback, TMM has barely kicked. In fact Tesi has made more positive contributions off his boot than TMM has this year.

Skill isn't everything though and that's why TMM ought to return to fullback next week.
Agree to disagree I guess. Niu has to take a 3 step run up to launch an arching spiral pass when he goes to hooker and Reynolds is a few players away. It’s the kind of passing skill you see Fijian wingers throw.

Niu is way better then isaako there is no doubt but he shouldn't be playing 1st grade for us this season(outside injury), I still think it's worth adding another year to his contract(because it ends next year) and loaning him out to a team for next season, he needs to develop a jump in his catch and set up a defensive line but the rest is at a high level, there is potential to learn that a lower side but he is way too risky for a team who wants to be high on the table.
He’s pretty much isaako 2.0 without the goal kicking. Can pull off the occasional flashy play but is a bonehead at his core. Like isaako, he won’t learn anything new or find a voice to organise the defence. He can run if someone does the play making for him but in no way should he be the one making the plays.

If the ball is not coming to him, Kotoni needs to go looking for the ball, like Joseph Manu does. Just stays out on the right side catching a cold sometimes. So underwhelming.
Staggs is no manu.. completely different type of player. Alot of what staggs can do with the ball depends on how and when he receives it. He was his best when TMM was sweeping and creating space.

See, that's better an actual constructive post.

I still think Tesi has the better pass on him and at fullback, TMM has barely kicked. In fact Tesi has made more positive contributions off his boot than TMM has this year.

Skill isn't everything though and that's why TMM ought to return to fullback next week.
if there is one area in attack Tesi doesn't have over TMM is the pass, TMM was nailing the cutout pass that was producing tries on dime.

He’s pretty much isaako 2.0 without the goal kicking. Can pull off the occasional flashy play but is a bonehead at his core. Like isaako, he won’t learn anything new or find a voice to organise the defence. He can run if someone does the play making for him but in no way should he be the one making the plays.
the thing you have to remember is Niu is still young, like he is younger then isaako was when he had his debut, his upsides are there, but I think he is a player that needs the expereince to make it work and he sure as hell isn't getting that experience here, we are not a development club.

Agree to disagree I guess. Niu has to take a 3 step run up to launch an arching spiral pass when he goes to hooker and Reynolds is a few players away. It’s the kind of passing skill you see Fijian wingers throw.
I can't say I noticed that, granted just about all the dummy half passing tonight was awful in the conditions. I did notice the pass he laid on for Pereira and haven't seen TMM lay on anything that great.

Take it from me! Even in an infantry setting with no outside influence, it’s almost impossible to knock it out of someone! That’s why the dropout rate is extremely high, you can’t physically force someone to do it even in the military, they have to want to do it.
🫡

I can't say I noticed that, granted just about all the dummy half passing tonight was awful in the conditions. I did notice the pass he laid on for Pereira and haven't seen TMM lay on anything that great.
That was no doubt a brilliant pass. 1 of very very few. When I saw that I thought he’d turned a corner in attack but it was an anomaly

We haven't really seen TMM apply any skills at fullback. He runs that shape and that's essentially all he brings in attack which is fine but it has a ceiling.
There is a word you used that perfectly summarises the difference between TMM & Tesi Niu.

Shape.

TMM runs a similar shape everytime, but that's what we need.... Unfortunately, we have no shape with Niu.

This is even more important in D. Look at our inside men's positioning tonight (including Niu) for all the tries against us. It's all over the shop.

Our outside backs are awesome runners. For the balance of the team, we need an organiser at fullback.

TMM did lay on a lovely ball for Cobbo against Manly. You're right tho Pete, that ball to Pereira was $$$
All I remember is Walker's pass to Cobbo that night. 😅 Did it lead to a line-break?

Newcastle? Sharks? Titans?
Just as effective but what impressed me about Niu's was the accuracy while taking a hit from Suli. Suli is ready to slide off until Niu digs in further and then he lays on the right pass with less wriggle room than say the Martin to Cobbo pass against Newcastle.

Niu has only played just over 30 first grade games, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise he still has a lot to learn. I think him (and Reece Walsh too) need time before they can be properly judged. He's doesn't have the freakish talent of Turbo or Ponga but he definitely still has a lot of potential. If he wants to be a good quality fullback, whether that's here or somewhere else, he really needs to work hard on the parts of the game he's struggling with though.

Just as effective but what impressed me about Niu's was the accuracy while taking a hit from Suli. Suli is ready to slide off until Niu digs in further and then he lays on the right pass with less wriggle room than say the Martin to Cobbo pass against Newcastle.
But can you say he reliably picks the right options?
I can't remember if that was the game where Niu did that elite cutout to the wing that I was gushing over at the time, but Niu struggles to keep at it when it's the obvious choice.

but this is just attack you can't dispute he is completely inferior in defence, and when easy tries are scored against you, you start to enter head dropping territory which effects attack, this is a mental game.

He just seems too introverted to sort the defensive line out, he looks like a shy kid playing with his heros and afraid to make the calls he needs to, not only that he isn't a player who puts his body on the line.

Fullback is the second most important position on the field, Above the 6 and 9 and just behind the 7, it's crucial.

At the end of the day rugby league is a team game and you need synergy to win games. TMM makes the whole team defend better, Brenko Lee unlocks Oates full potential, Gamble makes the offence better with his organization, motivation and communication skills. In contrast, Niu, Turpin, Mariner does not make their team mates better. Poor synergy is why we lost.

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • Midean
  • MrRobot
  • Battler
  • davidp
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  • kiwi2
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • FACTHUNT
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.