Round 21 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Pre-Match Discussion

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I'll be watching how they play against the Warriors very keenly that's for sure. The Broncos aren't the only team who've had a busy week behind the scenes. However, I'm pretty sure those problems have existed at Manly for a while now and they've managed to keep it together on the field. It's out in the open now though, so who knows.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd like to see Thaiday on the bench, but it'll never ever happen again.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
"a rocket put up our back rowers in Thaiday, Glenn and Gillett would be a good start"

No. Not a rocket. The arse. These guys are a big part of the problem. None of them should be in 17 next week, and certainly not in the 13.

Agreed 100%. Overrated and overpaid. Thaiday is starting to look like Tate circa 2007. Flame me all you want but a change of club might do him good. The other two have potential but I'm absolutely sick of them coasting by on it...just far too inconsistent. They aren't rookies anymore but are still playing like one.

McCullough is not in good form and it's unlikely that Granville will get another shot in first grade this year. It's all a bit of a shambles.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
While that was a good win, they were missing key players and Foran was playing on one leg.

It's been a very long time since we have beat a Manly side that had all of their key players.

Thats true they were missing DCE.

we were also missing a couple of players and were handicapped by having Hoffman in the halves.

but is DCE really worth 26 points (our winning margin) to Manly ... because if he is worth 26 points, then i have changed my mind and we need to get him asap

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Just because we beat Manly last time doesn't mean we are very likely to again. It's not only on their backyard now but they simply weren't at their best that day. It's not like we played well and so did they and we were just too good. We were good and they were bad.

I mean, if we were playing the Sharks I wouldn't be assuming they'd win because they won against us last time, the reverse applies to this game. As mentioend earlier, the one thing that might work in our favour is potential unrest with all the release requests.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
but is DCE really worth 26 points (our winning margin) to Manly ... because if he is worth 26 points, then i have changed my mind and we need to get him asap

I don't think he is but we needed to put that win into context. Phil Gould made a telling comment in his column in the aftermath when he said Manly seemed resigned to the loss. It sounds like a cop-out and doesn't do justice to the Broncos performance. We played well and fully deserved our victory.

I don't think we played particularly well though. Despite what a lot of people on this forum said in the post-match thread, I don't think it was an 80 minute performance. Yes, the scoreline suggest we were dominant and we were never headed but if you go back and watch that game when we skipped to an early lead we put the cue in the rack. There was no intent to our running and most of our kicks lacked purpose and we were damn lucky not to concede points. I daresay if the Matai try was given the green light in that passage of play we would've been ran down.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Our right side will need to defend a lot better if we want to be even a chance of winning.

N

nostradamus

NYC Player
Mar 13, 2013
1 Hoffman
2 Vidot
3 Copley
4 Hodges
5 Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 Hannant
9 McCullough
10 Kennedy
11 Gillett
12 Thaiday
13 Parker
14 Granville
15 Mcquire
16 Oates
17 Hala/Molo

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Should I report you to the match fixing committee b4l? ;)

Please do. I'm convinced that this is in fact a committee formed for the sole purpose of fixing games... I might get a new job

GotheBroncs

GotheBroncs

BRL Player
Dec 6, 2013
Vidot needs to come back in for either winger.....I don't care who. Kahu had a better game than maranta last week but kahu isn't a spectacular winger either IMO. Thaiday needs to play park footy for a bit, Parker has to go to back row, Maguire to partner Hannant up front, Hoffman has to remain at fullback because that **** doesn't pass (better he doesn't pass from FB than 5/8), Glenn needs to sit down with Parker for coffee to discuss learning how to offload, Copley needs to remain at centre and Reed can get the sack. Bench consists of Granville, Oates, Wallace/Hala & Kennedy.

My two cents.....

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
1 Hoffman
2 Vidot
3 Copley
4 Hodges
5 Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 Hannant
9 McCullough
10 Kennedy
11 McGuire
12 Thaiday
13 Parker

14 Granville
15 Oates
16 Hala
17 Molo / Gillett

Coach : caretaker

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
I will give you two positives for our chances on Friday 1 The Warriors will bruise them up for us and they only have a 5 day turn round and 2 I think Ben Hunt will be primed for a big one ,to prove he should have been given his shot in Origin 2 instead of DCE on one leg.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
1 Hoffman
2 Vidot
3 Copley
4 Hodges
5 Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 Hannant
9 McCullough
10 Kennedy
11 McGuire
12 Thaiday
13 Parker

14 Granville
15 Oates
16 Hala
17 Molo / Gillett

I like it. A well balanced bench and our back row looks a lot more dangerous.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
1 Hoffman
2 Vidot
3 Copley
4 Hodges
5 Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 Hannant
9 McCullough
10 Kennedy
11 McGuire
12 Thaiday
13 Parker

14 Granville
15 Oates
16 Hala
17 Molo / Gillett

It's not the 90s anymore, you can't just fill your forwards with middle third runners and nothing else... you need proper back rowers and you need to use them correctly. Our problem is that latter part.

Griffin is just too hopeless a coach to make proper use of our forward pack.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
i would love to see a team with a lot more fire power up front. we don't even use our wide running second rowers so what's the point. ideally i'd like thaiday on the bench as it suits our composition better but instead it will be glenn.

1. hoffman
2. vidot
3. copely
4. hodges
5. kahu
6. barba
7. hunt
8. hannat
9. macca
10. moose
11. thaiday
12. gillett (i believe gillett should be on the left and thaiday should re create his combo with hodges but it won't happen)
13. parker

14. granville/lowrie
15. glenn
16. kennedy
17. wallace/oates/lowrie

Can glenn pay in the middle?
because we can't have 2 2rf on the bench.

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
1. Nikorima
2. Vidot
3. Hodges
4. Copley
5. Hoffman
6. Barba/Kahu
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Thaiday
11. Parker
12. Oates
13. McGuire

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Gillett
17. Hala

No Reed obviously and when was the last time Glenn made a line break, tackle bust or offload?

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Broncosarethebest
  • winslow_wong
  • Fatboy
  • Spooky1013
  • lakers133334
  • Wolfie
  • Yem
  • Lozza
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Scorchie
  • broncs30
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
... and 38 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.