[Round 22, 2021] Broncos vs Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you know, people could have legitimate concerns. Some people actually provide pretty balanced arguments and for some reason you seem to just take it as constant negativity. How about providing counter arguments as opposed to just blanket statements?

So on that point, how do you justify Kevvie’s chopping and changing this week, not talking about the injured players obviously?

To those who have expressed concern and / or provided reasons to be happy, thanks for your discussion points and providing basis for good discussion.
Pretty sure I have provided reasons maybe you just read the negative parts of my posts. Maybe a quick re read is in order .

I don’t know who the people are but I’ve praised Kev heaps of times when he’s got it right, and I’ve been open about when I don’t agree but I see why he made the decisions he did. I was very praising of his team list the last few weeks even though I thought Kelly was an obvious better choice than Croft I at least understood why he was reluctant to change the team that had been improving.

Even for you it must be difficult to justify the team list this week.
Again, this is a guy who chose Paul White's tenure as his hill to die on, so he's well used to justifying the absurd.

Of course I do because everyone has an opinion, but I'm happy to back him instead of bagging him.
I wasn't singling you out but you do complain about alot of his decisions , yet I don't recall you being so vocal about seibold (could be wrong i just don't remember).
I just get irritated that Kevvie doesn't get as much of a go than what seibold got imo
Yea, I definitely wasn’t as critical of Seibold, at least not initially - I was fully invested in the Seibold hate train by the end. I have actually historically not been very critical of anything. I wasn’t critical of Wayne or Milford, White, I defended Bird, Lodge and TPJ. It wasn’t until last year where I started being critical. People should’ve been critical of Seibold sooner.

I don’t want Kev to fail, I like the bloke. I don’t think he’s a great coach but I’ve defended him at times too and I’ve praised him for the things he’s done well. I think he actually has shown decent tactics at times (bench rotation excluded) and he’s a far easier guy to get behind than Seibold. I try to judge him as fairly as I can (outside of jokes) and thats why when he is doing things right I say he is. Unfortunately I have just found that he is awful at selecting a team list and almost just as bad at using a bench. Outside of that I’ve been happy with him.

Like the comment above about how it would be called genius if it was Bellamy (which it still wouldn’t be for the record and Bellamy actually wins games so his decisions are worth trusting) but I also wonder how many people would still defend Kev’s decisions if he wasn’t Kevin Walters? Kev might be the nicest man in rugby league and a club legend, he is given far more good will than if it was someone like Seibold making these decisions.

The thing with Seibold that irritated me basically from day 1 was that he disassociated himself with the failures of the club, when you take on the role of head coach it's your job to sort it out.. you can't pretend like it's not something you don't have to deal with

I think he's Matt Elliot v2.0, great football mind.. terrible people person, where as Kev might be the complete opposite although given he is a legend of the club you'd be a brave man to say he doesn't understand footy

The thing with Seibold that irritated me basically from day 1 was that he disassociated himself with the failures of the club, when you take on the role of head coach it's your job to sort it out.. you can't pretend like it's not something you don't have to deal with

I think he's Matt Elliot v2.0, great football mind.. terrible people person, where as Kev might be the complete opposite although given he is a legend of the club you'd be a brave man to say he doesn't understand footy

Understanding footy, or having a "footy brain" on the field as a player, is quite different from being able to coach that to others. Not a slight on Kev at all, just saying.

I think Kev does have a decent footy brain. He has shown some good tactics to try and get the most out of a home brand roster, I just think he can’t chose a team list to save himself.

He makes his job far harder than it needs to be. I actually wonder if his constant indecision about the team list is due to him being so emotional and nice. Like Coates and Milf get another shot because he feels bad or something.

You’d love to have the guy in your super coach league because he’d be the token bye round. He’d run out trades after 10 rounds and half his team would just be players he thinks are nice blokes.

I think Kev does have a decent footy brain. He has shown some good tactics to try and get the most out of a home brand roster, I just think he can’t chose a team list to save himself.

He makes his job far harder than it needs to be. I actually wonder if his constant indecision about the team list is due to him being so emotional and nice. Like Coates and Milf get another shot because he feels bad or something.

I think he's looking after the players, I see him rotating young players in and out and it's not always based on performance, I think he understands some of our younger players are going to be great players but you can't just throw them in with the wolves early on.

Willing to forgive him about the halves selections in recent times, a few of them have been injured or coming back from injury.

Yea, I definitely wasn’t as critical of Seibold, at least not initially - I was fully invested in the Seibold hate train by the end. I have actually historically not been very critical of anything. I wasn’t critical of Wayne or Milford, White, I defended Bird, Lodge and TPJ. It wasn’t until last year where I started being critical. People should’ve been critical of Seibold sooner.

I don’t want Kev to fail, I like the bloke. I don’t think he’s a great coach but I’ve defended him at times too and I’ve praised him for the things he’s done well. I think he actually has shown decent tactics at times (bench rotation excluded) and he’s a far easier guy to get behind than Seibold. I try to judge him as fairly as I can (outside of jokes) and thats why when he is doing things right I say he is. Unfortunately I have just found that he is awful at selecting a team list and almost just as bad at using a bench. Outside of that I’ve been happy with him.

Like the comment above about how it would be called genius if it was Bellamy (which it still wouldn’t be for the record and Bellamy actually wins games so his decisions are worth trusting) but I also wonder how many people would still defend Kev’s decisions if he wasn’t Kevin Walters? Kev might be the nicest man in rugby league and a club legend, he is given far more good will than if it was someone like Seibold making these decisions.
Like I mentioned i don't remember but many backed seibold until it was deep into his second season.
I didn't want the guy but I still backed him until he was given a fair go. Which imo is midway into season 2.
Kevvie has had so much to do yet I'm seeing improvements, maybe not results but there's definitely improvements.
You can't compare Bellamy's decisions to Kevvie's because 1 is in his 18th season and 1 is in his 1st , but you could compare him to Payten and he definitely has questionable ones. Point being that they're both learning so mistakes are going to be made, so sometimes fans will have to roll with the punches.
Either way Kevin Walters or not the guy deserves are fair go and yeah he needs to earn fans respect but as fans we need to respect the process before the knives come out.

Like I mentioned i don't remember but many backed seibold until it was deep into his second season.
I didn't want the guy but I still backed him until he was given a fair go. Which imo is midway into season 2.
Kevvie has had so much to do yet I'm seeing improvements, maybe not results but there's definitely improvements.
You can't compare Bellamy's decisions to Kevvie's because 1 is in his 18th season and 1 is in his 1st , but you could compare him to Payten and he definitely has questionable ones. Point being that they're both learning so mistakes are going to be made, so sometimes fans will have to roll with the punches.
Either way Kevin Walters or not the guy deserves are fair go and yeah he needs to earn fans respect but as fans we need to respect the process before the knives come out.

You can be supportive without agreeing with everything that happens or every choice made though. If there are head scratching decisions like the team list this week, fans can call it out, doesn’t mean they don’t want the coach to succeed.

For the record though I don’t want him sacked and I hope he improves as a coach and the team is embedded deep in the top 6 in a couple years time and Kev goes on to be a 10 year broncos coach.

I definitely think he deserves to at least see out his contract. That doesn’t mean his decisions are above criticism, or that criticism of poor decisions reflects a desire toward sacking him.

I think you are giving a bit too much credit to Seibold here. He seemed pretty clueless to everything on and off field.

I think you are giving a bit too much credit to Seibold here. He seemed pretty clueless to everything on and off field.

I agree with you on coaching ability in regards to gaining the trust of a new roster, he obviously never got on the same wave length as the group here in Brisbane

I only say he knows his footy because I watch the occasion piece on nrl.com and he does some of the video analysis there and it's very informative actually

You can be supportive without agreeing with everything that happens or every choice made though. If there are head scratching decisions like the team list this week, fans can call it out, doesn’t mean they don’t want the coach to succeed.
I agree but what I've been saying some of these decisions may be about players getting game time and development. Every coach makes questionable decisions and fans can call them out because let's be honest, fans are usually keyboard coaches comes with the territory. But to say that Kevvie isn't a good coach and bagging his decisions and then saying that I hope he succeeds is a little contradicting .

Kevvie could do exactly what people want and I still think they'd whinge about it. I'm already bracing myself if we lose this majority of this place will be unbearable.
15th place team with injuries cops a hammering from a top 4 team....

BHQ "sack every bastard in the place... we've gone nowhere since Kevvie took over... bring in coach XXX... Player XXX should be sacked and never seen again... I'm done with this club!!"

BHQ by Tuesday "Really looking forward to seeing who gets picked this week... I think we're a real chance of beating the storm"

[Rinse and repeat]

Understanding footy, or having a "footy brain" on the field as a player, is quite different from being able to coach that to others. Not a slight on Kev at all, just saying.

Quite right........Wally Lewis had arguably the greatest footy brain of all time..... on the field.

He couldn't coach for shit......

Does the team list at the top of the page need editing?

Is Milford on the bench or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.