Round 22 - Broncos vs Bulldogs - Post Match Discussion

I don't believe it myself... But y'know how there's a theory that Hook kept Hunt as bench hooker to teach him to tackle, do you think he put Hoffman at five-eighth to teach him to pass? Maybe this "preparing the team for a shot at the title in 2015" has merit.

Nah.
The theory of hunt being left at backup hooker actually is true. They've been public about that a couple times.

I said earlier in the year that hoffman getting experience at 5/8th will do his fullback game wonders. He will be a gun fullback and even has me considering milford on the bench as a JT in the dogs grand final type role or a cherry evans off the bench for qld game.

I know that might make me get murdered on here. . But it could have merit.

did anyone notice how well hook rotated his bench last night? And positions. . Almost every player got a run in their most favored positions. Thaiday was on the edge at times last night for a stint, and guess what... it resulted in a try.

parker off for longer, more props in the game at once, props running on the edges and passing amongst the forwards, kicking into corners and backing each other in broken play will win us more games. Great game plan. Great execution. Good side. Adding milford and hodges seems over kill ??

The theory of hunt being left at backup hooker actually is true. They've been public about that a couple times.

I said earlier in the year that hoffman getting experience at 5/8th will do his fullback game wonders. He will be a gun fullback and even has me considering milford on the bench as a JT in the dogs grand final type role or a cherry evans off the bench for qld game.

did anyone notice how well hook rotated his bench last night? And positions. . Almost every player got a run in their most favored positions. Thaiday was on the edge at times last night for a stint, and guess what... it resulted in a try.

parker off for longer, more props in the game at once, props running on the edges and passing amongst the forwards, kicking into corners and backing each other in broken play will win us more games. Great game plan. Great execution. Good side. Adding milford and hodges seems over kill ??
Marty, what have you been smoking mate?

Maybe Hook finally found out about the internet and Googled himself?

The back end of this season reminds me of 2006. Broncos were struggling big time, losing games they shouldn't have lost. Then a massive win against the Bulldogs reignited their season. Could the Broncos go all the way again?

Big ask. Although of our four games remaining, both Knights and Dragons at home are winnable. Really need to take it to Melbourne or Souths to build that momentum and self belief. Hard to see us making much headway in the finals given we're likely to just scrape in, if at all.

I'll be happy if we just come out swinging for the fences from here on out. We've had some ups and downs this year but there's been more to like than the last two seasons combined. Would like to see some expansive play and spirit to carry us through to bigger things next year

The back end of this season reminds me of 2006. Broncos were struggling big time, losing games they shouldn't have lost. Then a massive win against the Bulldogs reignited their season. Could the Broncos go all the way again?

Can play an out of form Bulldogs team with an un-suspendable Reynolds in it for the next eight weeks?

That would be good.

Love your avatar Marty. Just don't ask me to shake hands.

Whatever the merits of the theory to which you refer, for mine, the result is that we have almost sacrificed this season because of the utterly asinine decision to move Hoffman to 5/8. If Hoffman had any instincts to be a gun FB, he would have shown them before the start of this season which clearly, he hadn't. Putting him at 5/8 crippled our attack. We played half the season with 1 genuine half.

You can't coach instincts.

The fact that we have done as well as have - and the results this year have been very good for a team with one half, makes this stupidity so much more frustrating and annoying.

As for benching Milford, to me, that is like Manly benching DCE. DCE on the bench for Qld was only because Cronk owns the half back position. Milford is 5 times the FB Hoffman was, is and ever will be. Having said that, Hoffman is at last doing quite well at the back, which makes it even MORE IRRITATING that he was moved in the first place. He ught to have been firing from the start of the season.

He's had enough bloody time at the back to show his "gun-ness".

As for your comments: "parker off for longer, more props in the game at once, props running on the edges and passing amongst the forwards, kicking into corners and backing each other in broken play will win us more games. Great game plan. Great execution. Good side." I agree, except you omitted "Barba playing at 5/8 is really showing how good we can be".

Which makes the virtual sacrifice of this season all the more IRRITATING.

Speaking of passing, Hoggman seems to be much more capable of passing left to right than the other way around, which is understandable for a lefty, but not acceptable for a 5/8. Surely this would've been seen at training months ago!

i've been saying this for months (not necessarily here, but i think i have mentioned it).

he cannot pass to the left. he is fine passing right. so it has me stumped that while playing 6 he was positioned on the left of hte field, when hunt can clearly play either side.

its so funny to watch hoffman now, knowing he cant throw it left.

also was anyone reminded by the barba try of the videos the broncos media put up on instagram from training a few weeks ago where they had barba/hunt/glenn doing mini 1v1 plays to try score/stop the attacker. looked exactly like that

EDIT it was this video - Instagram
not as similar as i remembered, but still, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Hook clearly didn't give them the same half time speech he gave them during the Sharks game.

When some posters earlier this year (I think prior to the season) suggested Barba at 6 I recall posting something along the lines of 'playing the 2012 Dally M fullback anywhere other than fullback is madness'

Seems I was wrong!

When some posters earlier this year (I think prior to the season) suggested Barba at 6 I recall posting something along the lines of 'playing the 2012 Dally M fullback anywhere other than fullback is madness'

Seems I was wrong!

I don't think you were a Lone Ranger there.... I was also one who thought he should be our fullback.

It's just good to see him playing well for us...even if it isn't at the back.

Hope we start the match against the Rabbitohs like we finished the game against the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.