Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Re: PRE-GAME - Round 22 - Canterbury Bulldogs

I Bleed Maroon said:
Good god, so much doom and gloom after one loss.

Actually, all things considered, I think fans are taking it well. Nobody is really being thrown under the bus and fingers are being pointed in the right direction. No doubt some of the comments you've read on here will be discussed at length in the video session and at training through out the week.

Friday will be a good test for the boys. As they showed on Friday, the Bulldogs don't miss anything with Reynolds out and will go into the game stronger with Rona and Pritchard returning. Points shouldn't be an issue for the Broncos, defensively they're going to have to be switched on.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013

What the **** is wrong with you guys. You're drunk off winning and the bar tender just denied you a 9th one so you're getting aggro.

Lol. This

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

What the **** is wrong with you guys. You're drunk off winning and the bar tender just denied you a 9th one so you're getting aggro.

Nice analogy, responding in kind, it is not the fact of the denial of the 9th that is causing the angst, but the fact that in denying the ninth, they have twisted our ear, rammed our head into the bar, thrown us to the ground, kicked us in the groin and then dragged us out the door like a sack of potatoes. That is, it was a very poor loss.

Last edited:
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Nice analogy, responding in kind, it is not the fact of the denial of the 9th that is causing the angst, but the fact that in denying the ninth, they have twisted our ear, rammed our head into the bar, throw us to the ground, kicked us in the groin and then dragged us out the door like a sack of potatoes. That is, it was a very poor loss.

And if you stumbled to the bar, knocked over a bunch of shit and pushed a few people out of the way like the Broncos did, that is exactly what would happen.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008

Storm got rolled, Souths only just beat Penrith, Cowboys got a fright from the Raiders, Roosters blew a lead and snuck home.

Arsey tries made us play catch up.

One of those weeks where we didn't turn up. With Cozza, Hodgo and Wayne all filthy about we'll smash the doggies.

Prefer this weekend over a September weekend to not turn up

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

Very true Browny.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014

Nice analogy, responding in kind, it is not the fact of the denial of the 9th that is causing the angst, but the fact that in denying the ninth, they have twisted our ear, rammed our head into the bar, throw us to the ground, kicked us in the groin and then dragged us out the door like a sack of potatoes. That is, it was a very poor loss.

And then what should we do? Sit at home having a quiet one whinging about a few bruises? **** that, time to throw on the shades, slam a berocca, have a hair of the dog and hit the town again ready to party fuckin' hearty.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

The same Broncos fans that walked out of the Titans game at 28-0 and about 15 minutes to go. We're sick of winning, we've got nothing to talk about.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Bennett should pull out the 2005 coaching file and see what went wrong there.

Broncos dominated all year, post Origin we lost about 5 in a row and bowed out of the finals early (after losing to the Tigers and Storm I think).

Although we didn't need to win a lot of those final 5 games to make the finals, it became a massive psychological thing and it was the elephant in the room. Like, just win FFS and we couldn't just get that one away. Already had our eyes on the finals.

I wonder if Wayne would have done anything different that year?

2006 he sent the boys away for a week in about round 23 if I remember to get away from the rut. We came out and I just remember this obliteration of the Warriors at home and I knew then we were solid.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Greg Eastwood has been ruled out with suspension.

Welp, that helps.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013

We are getting into the business end of the season now. The last few years most of the contenders lifted their games by 10 to 20 % except for us. Manly lifted big time and the dogs probably will will also. What won in May won't necessarily cut it in August.

This week will be a fair test of our finals credentials. For one thing we just can't let these top teams have as many shots at us on our line as we have been. Put to bed the" come to us änd our impenetrable straight line" fantasy. It just wont work in the big games. Better the boys wean themselves off that shit right
now and increase the line speed by at least 25%.

I still have a fair amount of confidence in this team. We can still give this thing a shake.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Thought I would post a bit of Broncos history.

We have played Bulldogs the following week after playing Manly 4 times.

1998, 2005, 2006, 2014.

We've never lost.

Round 21 2014, we traveled to Brookvale and ended up losing. People were writing the Broncos off.

The following week, we played the Bulldogs and beat them by a record margin.

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Bennett should pull out the 2005 coaching file and see what went wrong there.

Broncos dominated all year, post Origin we lost about 5 in a row and bowed out of the finals early (after losing to the Tigers and Storm I think).

Although we didn't need to win a lot of those final 5 games to make the finals, it became a massive psychological thing and it was the elephant in the room. Like, just win FFS and we couldn't just get that one away. Already had our eyes on the finals.

I wonder if Wayne would have done anything different that year?

2006 he sent the boys away for a week in about round 23 if I remember to get away from the rut. We came out and I just remember this obliteration of the Warriors at home and I knew then we were solid.

They all went away a few weeks ago.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Knights are the last premiers to lose twice by 30 plus in the year they won.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

We are getting into the business end of the season now. The last few years most of the contenders lifted their games by 10 to 20 % except for us. Manly lifted big time and the dogs probably will will also. What won in May won't necessarily cut it in August.

This week will be a fair test of our finals credentials. For one thing we just can't let these top teams have as many shots at us on our line as we have been. Put to bed the" come to us änd our impenetrable straight line" fantasy. It just wont work in the big games. Better the boys wean themselves off that shit right
now and increase the line speed by at least 25%.

I still have a fair amount of confidence in this team. We can still give this thing a shake.

This. We just can't afford to give free field position and the top sides have the players and coaching to exploit it. What about putting pressure on their play makers and forwards who offload and pass? Seems to me they did that to us and cramped Hunt, and Milford to a lesser extent, restricting space to get the running game going, and restricting time to assess and execute options.

I just can't get my head around why we don't attack in defence as we did against the Roosters.

Last edited:
Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

What if we were to increase line speed, burn out by the 60 minute mark and get run over the top of in the final 10-15 mins? It's easy to say 'lets just increase line speed and everything will be hunky dory', but it might hurt us in other areas of our game. Just a thought.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

What if we were to increase line speed, burn out by the 60 minute mark and get run over the top of in the final 10-15 mins? It's easy to say 'lets just increase line speed and everything will be hunky dory', but it might hurt us in other areas of our game. Just a thought.

And it's an accurate thought. It boggles my mind that people think it's as easy as saying "increase line speed" and it will just happen.

I swear some people think that Wayne would be trawling this site and be like "line speed! Of course, faster line speed... Why didn't I think of that!"

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013

And it's an accurate thought. It boggles my mind that people think it's as easy as saying "increase line speed" and it will just happen.

I swear some people think that Wayne would be trawling this site and be like "line speed! Of course, faster line speed... Why didn't I think of that!"

The necessity of good line speed is hardly a new concept , however the stand and wait concept fairly novel for recent times. I am not saying we need a constant mad rush up defense but we do have to up the tempo a fair bit if we want to competitive in the finals. I just can't see any alternative , but if WB can make this work I will certainly be cheering as loud as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • BRC088
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.