Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PRE-GAME - Round 22 - Canterbury Bulldogs

Here's my opinion of what went wrong in the Manly game and why it probably isn't too much to worry about going forward as long as it doesnt get inside the player's heads.

Our very effective game plan all year is to exude as little energy as possible in the opening 20 minutes while attempting to wear out our opposition. We don't rush up in defence, we pass at the line to engage as many defenders as possible without worrying too much about metres and we keep creating second phase play.

After 20 minutes our opponent tires and we start to score points in large numbers leading into half, and full time.

Against manly, we had less than 40% possession in the first half. This imbalance of possession simply isn't enough to wear down an opponent. The absence of Blair's ball skills, and Milford's endless mistakes is what mostly caused this. Hunt's kicking game didn't help either. Manly scored some very arsie tries and we find ourselves in the closing 20 minutes of the first half well behind, exhausted from tackling, and with an opponent with plenty left in the tank.

We began to panic and instead of sticking to the original game plan of trying to tire them while conceding energy, and being patient until they finally started to crack, we began playing catch up footy. More errors, more poor kick options, expanding unnecessary amounts of energy, not holding our line and trusting the guys next to you all started to creep in. This resulted in the last 60 minutes looking exactly like the first 20.

The boys wondered from the game plan and it cost us dearly. I'm sure Wayne will address this and if our halves, and leadership group are worth anything we will go back to what we've done so well all year.

Line Speed, No Line Speed
49235395.jpg

Here's my opinion of what went wrong in the Manly game and why it probably isn't too much to worry about going forward as long as it doesnt get inside the player's heads.

Our very effective game plan all year is to exude as little energy as possible in the opening 20 minutes while attempting to wear out our opposition. We don't rush up in defence, we pass at the line to engage as many defenders as possible without worrying too much about metres and we keep creating second phase play.

After 20 minutes our opponent tires and we start to score points in large numbers leading into half, and full time.

Against manly, we had less than 40% possession in the first half. This imbalance of possession simply isn't enough to wear down an opponent. The absence of Blair's ball skills, and Milford's endless mistakes is what mostly caused this. Hunt's kicking game didn't help either. Manly scored some very arsie tries and we find ourselves in the closing 20 minutes of the first half well behind, exhausted from tackling, and with an opponent with plenty left in the tank.

We began to panic and instead of sticking to the original game plan of trying to tire them while conceding energy, and being patient until they finally started to crack, we began playing catch up footy. More errors, more poor kick options, expanding unnecessary amounts of energy, not holding our line and trusting the guys next to you all started to creep in. This resulted in the last 60 minutes looking exactly like the first 20.

The boys wondered from the game plan and it cost us dearly. I'm sure Wayne will address this and if our halves, and leadership group are worth anything we will go back to what we've done so well all year.

This man knows his shit.

And no, that isn't an intentional/unintentional misspelling of the word "he's" I meant that I truly agree with his statement.

Last edited:

Ya good read Shed and summed up last weeks game nicely

Well summed up Shed.

Just for the record, everyone knows the value of line speed and wants it to improve, some people are just saying it isn't as easy saying "faster line speed" like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy

Think the general perspective on our loss to Manly is pretty sound. We came out flat, they came out firing, and when the chips were down, we stopped playing to our strengths.

We've been guilty of fading out of games a little, though quality of opposition has been such that we've gotten away with it. Inevitably if you turn over possession so cheaply, a side like Manly will convert it into points.

I expect us to bounce back well against the Dogs. They'll be up for it given their chances of finals football, but if we stick to the plan we'll grind them out.

Gonna be a tough 5 weeks that's for sure.

But, I'd rather be the dark horse than the Ikea horse.

This all the way.

And to highlight what happens when we're fatigued, look at how easy it was to expose Milford. When our defensive line has energy, we can easily number up and shut down raids before they have a change to hurt us. If not, and the opposition is able to get even a metre outside us, we're toast. The play is simple - ruck it up through the middle to compress the defence and hopefully catch a lazy marker or defender in no-mans-land. Then run two forwards at Milford, one at his left shoulder, one at his right. It means that both Reed and Glenn have to stay close, as Milford (like most halves) is no match for a forward one-on-one, especially if the line can't get more than a few metres up. The opposition centre stays wide - If Reed comes in too far, throw it out to the centre. If Reed doesn't come in, throw it short to the forward. Easy points.

We've been able to defend it so far (with the exception of the Cowboys game and now the Manly game) because our players are relatively fresh. The consistent factors in both of those losing games is errors. Errors lead to defence, defence leads to fatigue, fatigue leads to an exposed Milf.

This all the way.

And to highlight what happens when we're fatigued, look at how easy it was to expose Milford. When our defensive line has energy, we can easily number up and shut down raids before they have a change to hurt us. If not, and the opposition is able to get even a metre outside us, we're toast. The play is simple - ruck it up through the middle to compress the defence and hopefully catch a lazy marker or defender in no-mans-land. Then run two forwards at Milford, one at his left shoulder, one at his right. It means that both Reed and Glenn have to stay close, as Milford (like most halves) is no match for a forward one-on-one, especially if the line can't get more than a few metres up. The opposition centre stays wide - If Reed comes in too far, throw it out to the centre. If Reed doesn't come in, throw it short to the forward. Easy points.

We've been able to defend it so far (with the exception of the Cowboys game and now the Manly game) because our players are relatively fresh. The consistent factors in both of those losing games is errors. Errors lead to defence, defence leads to fatigue, fatigue leads to an exposed Milf.

I welcome more intelligent posting lime this one and the previous about not sticking to structure from the other poster (don't know how to quote two posts simultaneously)

I'm glad everyone has calmed down a bit and are seeing clearer.

We still good

I welcome more intelligent posting lime this one and the previous about not sticking to structure from the other poster (don't know how to quote two posts simultaneously)

I'm glad everyone has calmed down a bit and are seeing clearer.

We still good

Here's your intelligent posting ;)

limes1.jpg

FYI, next to the "Reply With Quote" button is a small "+ icon. Click that and it'll load that post for quoting later. Next time you hit "Reply" or "Reply With Quote" it'll tack that one in there too. Glorious multi-quoting.

limes1.jpg

FYI, next to the "Reply With Quote" button is a small "+ icon. Click that and it'll load that post for quoting later. Next time you hit "Reply" or "Reply With Quote" it'll tack that one in there too. Glorious multi-quoting.

Ahh ok cool thank you :)

limes1.jpg

Those are some delicious looking limes. I like those limes... I want those limes in and around my mouth.

I was reading that while looking in to Scarlett's eyes in your avatar.

Kahu cleared to play.

Same side is likely to be named.

The old Bennett taper off trick. Nothing to worry about gents!

Is Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett up to his old tricks again?

The weird and scary thing is my wife, whose total football watching amounts to the around 2 and a half minutes a week (that's pretty much the exact amount of time it takes me to call the ref a **** and suggest he is on the take, causing her to go watch 'Selling Houses' or some shit in the other room) suggested pretty much this exact thing on Sunday morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.