vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think id be more worried if it was the 6 7 or 9 with a shit ton of errors back 3 are going to be a higher representation i think

Think id be more worried if it was the 6 7 or 9 with a shit ton of errors back 3 are going to be a higher representation i think
I'd have to agree. The errors from wingers are definitely going to be higher. Cleaning up and catching, plus starting sets means higher impact, and possibly more often the end of a chain of passes, therefore more possesions. So, statistically they're more likely to drop the ball, simply by touching the ball and performing hitups more often. Not to mention finishing, put-downs, etc.

For us to win a couple of things must change.

Missed tackles. Some very well paid guys aren't doing their parts.
Between Walters, Capewell, Staggs and Riki there are 260 missed tackles. That's out of the team total of 703, itself the the third highest.

Our defence has improved!! Hard to believe with those numbers.

The other thing is basic errors. Again it's Staggs (2nd highest in the league) Cobbo 4th and **** me Oates is 6th!

3 out of the top 6 for errors!!!!

We have some pretty shitty 6 again merchants, penalty magnets too with Flegler and Capewell (again ) equally dishing them out for a total of 24. Awful.

We need to be much better.
Yea, plus the team is going to have to cope with the inevitable 10 penalties and set restarts Kennedy will give away...

I'd have to agree. The errors from wingers are definitely going to be higher. Cleaning up and catching, plus starting sets means higher impact, and possibly more often the end of a chain of passes, therefore more possesions. So, statistically they're more likely to drop the ball, simply by touching the ball and performing hitups more often. Not to mention finishing, put-downs, etc.
Not all handling errors are equal. Almost every Oates error has involved contesting a high ball, attempted intercept or charge down. High risk manoeuvres. Some errors saved tries by shutting down plays, while failed intercepts might’ve resulted in tries themselves. Despite his high error count I consider him pretty safe.

I wouldn’t consider Selwyn safe, particularly in the wet, but he makes up for it when it sticks.

The type of dick finger loose carry errors Riki made last week. They’re less forgivable, and hopefully, not habitual.

Not all handling errors are equal. Almost every Oates error has involved contesting a high ball, attempted intercept or charge down. High risk manoeuvres. Some errors saved tries by shutting down plays, while failed intercepts might’ve resulted in tries themselves. Despite his high error count I consider him pretty safe.

I wouldn’t consider Selwyn safe, particularly in the wet, but he makes up for it when it sticks.

The type of dick finger loose carry errors Riki made last week. They’re less forgivable, and hopefully, not habitual.
Riki seems to drop a lot of short passes at the line. They should just use him for decoy runs lol

Oh, don't worry about that! Our 679 do have a lot of errors!
Old Reno has missed 50 tackles ( yes, I know, I love him too ) and Walters , well he's already been mentioned. Turpin has heaps of penalties and 6ers for the time on the field. We aren't the worst but **** we are still very poor in a lot of crucial areas .

Winning is keeping the bad news areas away from attention but KW is very well aware.
Unless we snap back to a Melbourne like appearance we're fucked.

What better stage on which to do a Melbourne!

We don't have anyone better then Ryan James? ffs

It's like he's in slow motion compared to everyone else on the field*

*except Turpin

Kevvie is soo frustrating!

Kennedy over Palasia? Turpin over Paix? James starting over Kobe? Flegler starting over jensen?

I just don’t get it.

Watch a ton of tries for (hopefully) both left side attacks. Olam vs the nail-biting Reyno/Riki/Kotoni/Cobbo point-leaking sieve, and Mam/Dela/Oates vs Seve. Hopefully Hughes still isn't right and gets pulled out of the squad.

Still can't see a win here though folks, unfortunately. A month ago, yup. Not now.

Watch a ton of tries for (hopefully) both left side attacks. Olam vs the nail-biting Reyno/Riki/Kotoni/Cobbo point-leaking sieve, and Mam/Dela/Oates vs Seve. Hopefully Hughes still isn't right and gets pulled out of the squad.

Still can't see a win here though folks, unfortunately. A month ago, yup. Not now.
A great play on words there but Seve isn't playing this weekend. Did you know that a really bad ice hockey goalie is also known as a "sieve"?

I cant understand the flegler and James position calls, not what I would choose but there is logic to it. Turpin and Kennedy though….
Angry Hate GIF

We have some pretty shitty 6 again merchants, penalty magnets too with Flegler and Capewell (again ) equally dishing them out for a total of 24. Awful.

So half a repeat set per game ?
And they play the full 80 ? Doesn`t look good for your guy at 1 or more per 20 minutes ?

Suppose we should study how exactly we could get the W against the rapidly improving Storm.

With Patty missing, a lot of our link play to get Arey into his best positions is missing right now, but TMM return couldnt have been better timed..

giphy.gif

Not much going on until Arey gets the ball with RIki running off his hip. This brings TMM in and, though its simple, a early ball to allow Staggs to wind up places plenty of issues for the Newcastle backline.

Now we see the threat pure speed is for any defence..

This is our area of focus, the right side. However the best combo for the Storm is on the left hand edge with Olam and Coates defending there. Its the right hand side where the newer combo is (Nofoaluma & Tunamaipea).

Someone ealrier mentioned the runs out of yardage form Staggs and Cobbo. Big difference here lately.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Its not just the power behind these runs but the guys pick out in defence to run at. This allows Staggs to find his front quickly, play the ball quickly and then Cobbo steams in and continues the momentum with another strong run.

Just keep hitting the same area again and again, all of a sudden we gain 40 post contact metres.

Haas played a lot of minutes last week; heres one reason behind why.

This what Arey wants, time and space to organsie shape and position behind strong runs like this.

giphy.gif

You can see the diamond shape around Reynolds here, but instead he shows Kobe inside who almost breaks through here..

But the idea is to draw defence in to the right hand side before shifting left.

giphy.gif

Now theres no shape around Arey but instead acres of space out wide.

Watch closely how Arey bites into the defensive line and shapes to kick just for a moment before throwing a long ball out wide. See how Newcatsles defence stops just for a brief momemt. He is coaching the defence here to expect something but then delivers something else - top stuff.

Then the next set of 6 this happens.

giphy.gif

Kobe plays the Patty link role here with a face ball across Haas dummy run. But its not really threatening UNTIL TMM gets the ball and digs right into the defence before delivering the ball where Mam wants it to burst through. He then combines with his fullback and scores a fantastic old-school Broncos try.

Oh and Capes runs a far more threatening line into the defence to hold it up than Haas did..

Notice no Arey in sight? Hes on the other side of the ruck. This is why TMM right now just offers another dimension to our structure.

In the meantime Areys doing his thing on his side of the offence.

giphy.gif

Best is circled here. Two more link passes from our middles which again arent really threatening anyone but once Arey gets it he shapes to bring Riki on his inside but identifies Best to run to. He holds his attention long enough for Staggs to now get on his outside and then its simply a matter of draw and pass.

Then we see the variation in our game next up.

giphy.gif

The shape is deep on the right edge. Haas the link man but in fact he doesnt need to dig deep before passing, cause Newcastle only have eyes for the long shift. Note how they have their line intact, coming up together with good even spacing between them.

This is how you defend a long shift. Only thats not what happens.

Agian Arey has coached the defence to expect something thats not coming. He shapes to pass, again Riki runs the inside line (are you seeing why Reynolds wants him on the edge now every game?) but the kick over gives Cobbo a huge tram line to catch and score.

Our completion rates over the whole season is 4th best (79%). In this game it was 69% and filled with errors. Can do against the Knights, cant do against the Storm.

Patty returning is just so important now. Its a shame we are losing TMM, but hes been great for us this year and deserves to choose where his career goes next; good luck to him.

This off season we really need to find someone who can do the little link things that Patty does for us. Haas, Flegs and Kobe "do it" during games because thats the system, but its hardly convincing. Someone else needs to be found who can do 80% of it.

Sorry, its a long post....maybe i should have broken it up...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • kman
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Mustafur
  • kiwi2
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manifesto
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Porthoz
  • leon.bott
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.