PRE-GAME Round 23 - Broncos vs Dragons

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Benji will either be out or limping on a dodgy hamstring.

Did he get injured?

If so, that is good news for us.

His kicking game just made getting a win a lot more difficult in our previous encounter.

Actually I wrote the same thing or at least a very similar thing 6 weeks ago so the losses are not the catalyst for my comments. Most would not consider me soft although tis true with age I'm heading that way....It has been my view for sometime that we would be found out at some stage.

I think you are spot on, yet I don't think it's that we are not top 2 material, which I think we are.

For mine, what has been found out, and it's a valuable lesson, and it's been posted here before, is what a class spine + backline can do to our left side defence.

While losing Moose and Blair is huge (cough cough) I don't think our pack, or work in the middle is the problem at all.

Manly absolutely destroyed us by exclusively targeting our left side. Didn't they score most, if not all their points out wide on our left? They clearly watched a lot of videos of our left side defence and just worked very hard on how to exploit it's inherent vulnerability.

That is where we were found out. Our left side, when put under real pressure by a relentless and super fast attack just can't react quickly enough.

I just hope that this was a hiccup and Bennett fixes it. I actually think we are one of the few teams who, at their best (and we weren't that night) can withstand what Manly is capable of doing on the edges and out wide. The Bunnies certainly couldn't.

The loss to the Dogs, who also tried to target our left side but don't have anywhere near the class spine and backline of Manly, was through slackness. Manly, vastly the better side on the day, totally out thought and outplayed us, whereas we let the very average Dogs win.

Against the Dragons, if our mojo returns, if our structures and execution and attitude return to what they were, we will win. Just fix that left side Wayne, please.

I think you are spot on, yet I don't think it's that we are not top 2 material, which I think we are.

For mine, what has been found out, and it's a valuable lesson, and it's been posted here before, is what a class spine + backline can do to our left side defence.

While losing Moose and Blair is huge (cough cough) I don't think our pack, or work in the middle is the problem at all.

Manly absolutely destroyed us by exclusively targeting our left side. Didn't they score most, if not all their points out wide on our left? They clearly watched a lot of videos of our left side defence and just worked very hard on how to exploit it's inherent vulnerability.

That is where we were found out. Our left side, when put under real pressure by a relentless and super fast attack just can't react quickly enough.

I just hope that this was a hiccup and Bennett fixes it. I actually think we are one of the few teams who, at their best (and we weren't that night) can withstand what Manly is capable of doing on the edges and out wide. The Bunnies certainly couldn't.

The loss to the Dogs, who also tried to target our left side but don't have anywhere near the class spine and backline of Manly, was through slackness. Manly, vastly the better side on the day, totally out thought and outplayed us, whereas we let the very average Dogs win.

Against the Dragons, if our mojo returns, if our structures and execution and attitude return to what they were, we will win. Just fix that left side Wayne, please.
Actually, b4life I think it was rnabokov that I discussed this very thing

Take heart, boys. Despite our recent poor couple of games, we're still safely in the top 4, 4 rounds out from the finals. We would have to lose every game to drop out.

Come finals time, Bennett will have the whips cracking.

Actually I wrote the same thing or at least a very similar thing 6 weeks ago so the losses are not the catalyst for my comments. Most would not consider me soft although tis true with age I'm heading that way....It has been my view for sometime that we would be found out at some stage.
Would you say the same about the Manly forward pack and the Bulldogs backline. Punching above thier weight/ soon to be found out?

Last edited:
Would you say the same about the Manly forward pack and the Bulldogs backline. Punching above thier weight/ soon to be found out?

Sorry for butting in ... the Dogs won't go too far into the finals. For mine they are good but 2 rungs below Manly and us.

Many's pack are their weakness, unlike ours, but they compensate for it by a formidable backline, and the whole team driven superbly by Foran, DCE and Lyon. You beat Manly by holding your edge defence and wider, and, creating something by dominating their pack with strong defence and a good passing game, and then attacking their edges the same way they attack. In a way, I see our attack as very similar to theirs, and on our day, we are the stronger side 'cos our pack is better.

If only Hodges was as reliable and solid and consistent as Lyon instead of surrendering his brilliance to brain farts.

The Dragons are solid, disciplined and no easy beats but still a class below us IMO.

Last edited:
Ahh......without trying to insult you it's hardly a clever question. After all Manly has been running towards the tail all season so no, I wouldn't say they were out of their weight division. The Bulldogs backline, in isolation and for what the comparison is worth have been exceeding themselves on occasion. Back on Manly what they are proving is that there is only one ingredient that a team cannot be missing in order to overcome a lack of class, collective desire. They want it more than some other teams at this time. If they sustain it ,they can win it. Cronulla is another team that wants it and the Roosters too. WB said it early on in the season, we need to have our attitude right. No doubt most of the team does.

Early season games are one thing, winning them is far easier than late in the season when a lot of teams, the good ones at least have snapped out of complacency and are much more able. We did well early but this run of games was always the true test and so far we are getting found out.

I have to disagree. The reason our defence out wide gets exposed is because our pack is getting pummelled. We rely on numbers and scramble in defence. When we're on our game, you'll notice that even if an opposition centre gets tackled there'd be one of our second rowers right there and a prop within 2-3 metres ready for the next play. When we get worked over in the middle, it just takes a quick PTB and fast spread and we're in trouble. Just like any team would be TBF.

For mine, this is why we are missing Blair so much, and exactly why Bennett went out of his way to bring him here.

Bit off topic. Can we get Korbin Sims? Had one shit Sims that cost a GF appearance. Be nice to have one that might make the difference in a positive sense for a finals campaign.

I have to disagree. The reason our defence out wide gets exposed is because our pack is getting pummelled. We rely on numbers and scramble in defence. When we're on our game, you'll notice that even if an opposition centre gets tackled there'd be one of our second rowers right there and a prop within 2-3 metres ready for the next play. When we get worked over in the middle, it just takes a quick PTB and fast spread and we're in trouble. Just like any team would be TBF.

For mine, this is why we are missing Blair so much, and exactly why Bennett went out of his way to bring him here.

I agree and I disagree.

Your point about a pack getting pummelled, in general, I totally agree.

Against Manly and the Dogs, what I saw was simply too much speed out wide by Manly and just poor defence: missed tackles in particular, especially on the left edge and out wide against the Dogs.

For mine, the point about our forward pack being pummelled is less relevant than the fact we stand back in defence and give the opposition too many metres and perfect field position in our red zone to pressure our defence which, in those 2 matches, wasn't up to it, especially on the left.

Ahh......without trying to insult you it's hardly a clever question. After all Manly has been running towards the tail all season so no, I wouldn't say they were out of their weight division. The Bulldogs backline, in isolation and for what the comparison is worth have been exceeding themselves on occasion. Back on Manly what they are proving is that there is only one ingredient that a team cannot be missing in order to overcome a lack of class, collective desire. They want it more than some other teams at this time. If they sustain it ,they can win it. Cronulla is another team that wants it and the Roosters too. WB said it early on in the season, we need to have our attitude right. No doubt most of the team does.

Early season games are one thing, winning them is far easier than late in the season when a lot of teams, the good ones at least have snapped out of complacency and are much more able. We did well early but this run of games was always the true test and so far we are getting found out.
I thought it would be an obviously genuine question. But, (without trying to insult you) you appear to be more concerned with maintaining your perseved superiority and pseudo intellect. My question,which I thought would be obvious, is,can this desire be maintained with an untested pack beyond 3-4 games?

Picking Blair in the starting side is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

You want the premiership drought to end?

Blair put his team under massive pressure with putting on a super lazy, late dog shot. Then takes a two week holiday fully paid with his feet up, when we need all hands on deck...

Players like Blair are the reason we haven't been winning premierships.

No way this lazy clown should be rewarded with a starting spot. **** him off, take his pay check -- and get someone who will put in for the team.

Blair put his team under massive pressure with putting on a super lazy, late dog shot. Then takes a two week holiday fully paid with his feet up, when we need all hands on deck...

No way this lazy clown should be rewarded with a starting spot. **** him off, take his pay check -- and get someone who will put in for the team.

Do you even watch the games or just stick with your opinion despite evidence to the contrary

Blair's tackle wasn't even suspension worthy though. But I have no idea why they didn't fight it.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.