PRE-GAME Round 24 - Broncos vs Eels

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Does anyone know if Bird has a contract with a player option or is it a straight up 4 year contract? Could be a 2+2 which would technically put him off contract come November. There was a few of those type of contracts handed out a few years back.
The NRL website says he has a 3+1.

The NRL website says he has a 3+1.
Cheers for that info. Just don't understand why clubs agree to these contracts with options in players favour. When you're trying to stay within a salary cap and you might have a 2/3 players in a years time technically off contract, with options in their favour that total up to 1 or 1.5 million, even hypothetically, it must be a nightmare when it comes to retention.

Just for talk sakes say Brisbane are really strapped for cash in 2021 because they're expecting Jack Bird to take up his option. And they can't offer Fifita a contract because of this. Then Bird goes back to Sydney citing homesickness, Fifita has signed elsewhere and the Bronco's are left with a stack of cash that's no use to them.

As far as I know this sort of thing has never happened before, but it would only need to happen once to have the whole league blowing up. Unless it happened to us of course.

I guess we could also get to 12 wins.

Sure we could be the 8th best side, but making a finals series with a losing record is not amazing

Oh well if we bow out first week of finals I guess we’re on par with last season.

Last edited:
Cheers for that info. Just don't understand why clubs agree to these contracts with options in players favour. When you're trying to stay within a salary cap and you might have a 2/3 players in a years time technically off contract, with options in their favour that total up to 1 or 1.5 million, even hypothetically, it must be a nightmare when it comes to retention.

Just for talk sakes say Brisbane are really strapped for cash in 2021 because they're expecting Jack Bird to take up his option. And they can't offer Fifita a contract because of this. Then Bird goes back to Sydney citing homesickness, Fifita has signed elsewhere and the Bronco's are left with a stack of cash that's no use to them.

As far as I know this sort of thing has never happened before, but it would only need to happen once to have the whole league blowing up. Unless it happened to us of course.
I'm more than certain that he will bolt after next year.

Is Turpin back?

It’s funny how much more confident I feel going into games when TPJ is playing. Wish the twat would stop getting suspended because he has a huge influence on our squad
Agree he is probably are sharpest Attack weapon, he is the best offloaded in the competition and is one of the biggest players in the competition and he plays on the edge which means when he offloads he opens massive holes in the opposition defensive line.

Well I'm certainly not confident against the Eels, its great to see the effort in our game and how well the forwards are going but we need to keep building on that and move to the next level.

We are not doing enough in attack as a team to create space, we are not good at building pressure with our kicking game, we are not good at supporting or taking advantage of the work our forwards are doing.

We need to start playing smarter.

Last edited:
Well I'm certainly not confident against the Eels, its great to see the effort in our game and how well the forwards are going but we need to keep building on that and move to the next level.

We are not doing enough in attack as a team to create space, we are not good at building pressure with our kicking game, we are not good at supporting or taking advantage of the work our forwards are doing.

Hard to do with a dumb 5/8 whose lack of instincts and skills limit the scope of a decent game plan

Anyone else also starting to question Milford's ability?
I think he should go back into the halves but he aint worth anything close to a million imo. He hasn't shown much since 2015.
I would be seriously reconsidering re-signing him when off contract. I am more then positive that we could get much better value for money going to the market with a million $ rather then re-signing him.
I think we have given him a fair crack, he just isn't delivering when we need him most, unfortunately - I've been a massive supporter of his, but it's really starting to stand out to me that he isn't influencing our team much these days.

Can't say I'd agree with any potential Foran signing. I rate him as a footballer but even on a discounted deal it still wouldn't be super cheap, and then you've got the very high probability of him struggling to get on the field because of injuries, so we're back to square one again every time he breaks down, which given he's only getting older, is almost certainly going to get worse, not better.

What we need is a pair of legitimate halves to steer the ship.

If we could have kept any pairing together for more than 3 games, we would be in a much better position on the ladder than we are now.

Making the finals on 11 wins. How dirty
I know what you mean, we won 11 in a row in 1990 and we also won 11 games in a row in 1999 and that was after Langer retired and facing the spoon. Sometimes I wish we had stuck with the 5 team finals system.
[automerge]1566783386[/automerge]

Last edited:
What we need is a pair of legitimate halves to steer the ship.

If we could have kept any pairing together for more than 3 games, we would be in a much better position on the ladder than we are now.
This is a seriously underrated point that I think a lot of people have overlooked.

Yes, we've been poor, probably our own worst enemies. Yes, continuing to play Boyd in such a key position has become basically beyond excuse. Yes, even if we make the finals, its probably more of an argument for scrapping the Top 8 than anything else (could say the same for the other sides in that mix)

But it would be totally unfair to not acknowledge that injury and even suspensions have been especially cruel to the Brisbane Halves contingent this season. We've had far and away the biggest range of combinations there of any of the Top 8 contenders and I think our lack of consistency and cohesion there is at least somewhat reflected in this major run of bad luck on the injury front.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Lurker
  • mrslong
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • cento
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.