Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
you guys should be thankful you weren't at my place tonight ... after Barba's third try i was dancing ... not a pretty sight :whoo:
Pics or GTFO!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Another great positive about this game, we won't see the likes of badyon and his mates around for at least a week!

LOL. It's easy forget those subtle benefits.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Geez ......I can't wait until Hodges retires.

:laugh:

Haha, well that's one game this season where he hasn't constantly cut in at dummy half and gone himself.

He had a fantastic game tonight, hope he keeps it up.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Pics or GTFO!

Scared%20Yao%20Ming_zps2145330b.jpg

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
What an enjoyable night out and to show a lot of promise in attack and put on 48 points against a side that had won 3 of their last 4 games made it even better.

Superb performance by everyone especially by Barba who has definitely found his place in the team and to see him enjoying his footy is a pleasure.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
great game to watch. it panned out exactly as i'd hoped. i actually posted on my twitter pre game that we'll win 40+ tonight.

still parts of our game to work on but the main thing is we got the two points and finished the game off in style. the confidence we should take from that is probably most important, and just remembering what worked for us. i realise the opposition was understrength but this game was more about ourselves than them.

hodges was everything i hoped for at fullback. the whole thing felt much more balanced with that backline structure.

reed had the best game he had all year and even though i've been a massive critic of his, it was awesome to see, and i hope theres more to come.

i honestly think this was coming from barba. he's been playing well over the last few weeks and it wasnt going to be long til he would get the rewards on the stats sheet. its great to see him with that trademark smile again.

kennedy is certainly running the ball harder now than he has all year and contributing to the team effort now.

i will just enjoy this win and look forward to next week. hopefully no changes and confidence high sees us playing more good footy.

interesting note: last 3 times we've won by 40+ has all been against the knights.

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Loved being at the game, loved it all...except the lack of atmosphere. Everyone seemed dead despite the awesomeness going on on the field. Maybe cos it was cold and damp.

Hodges - I remember arguing that he should have been fb from 06 onwards but it is rare player who can play two positions as well as he does. He had a fantastic game from the back but not always great under the high ball.
Vidot - Man mountain again, I love watching Steve Price...et...Vidot in action. Where were those safe hands last week?
Reed - Regardless of how we may feel about him, he was on his rookie level tonight, amazing game and that offload to Vudot for Barba's first was right in front of me and you could see it coming but he held it back so well and so late I was out of my chair early.
Copley - Was good but not great, fairly quiet.
Maranta - Great game, should have not let one bomb bounce but he was really classy tonight.
Barba - Very unlucky not to get MotM, phenomenal game, a battrick and set up heaps more. Yes it Kicked out on the full but what a difference he has made to our attack, suddenly Reed and Vidot are more involved in attack and we are dangerous on both edges. He was magic tonight.
Hunt - Re-sign him ASAP, this kid has unbelievable vision and composure and is not a liability in defense at all. Only downside for him is he is worse at conversions than Parker.
McGuire - Was great as always as a lock...er...prop.
McCullough - Steered the side around well and does so much that goes unnoticed in defense, great game.
Parker - Heart sank when he walked up the tunnel and heart re-floated when he returned. He is such a gun player, one of the Broncs best of all time, there I said it.
Glenn - I know he isn't doing the flashy stuff so much but he is playing with a lot more urgency and purpose, he was great tonight.
Gillett - He still goes missing at times and seems to not even know what he's doing but he was good tonight.
Thaiday - Was good when on in small bursts, still looks unfit.

Wallace - Did he play?
Kennedy - What a game!! That's what we want to see week in and week out, that would have impressed the incoming coach.
Hannant - Was solid without being spectacular, might be difficult to see him with us again next year sadly.
Oates - Give this kid more minutes, he is a star waiting to be unleashed. Yet another great game.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
glenn has been MUCH better since he's had an actual five-eighth inside him.

gillett was pretty average imo. he seems unsure of where to run. no good at hitting holes. and his defense is pretty suspect at times.

on that bomb that maranta left alone i dont think he had much choice. the ball swung away from him very late and i think if he made a grab he'd have most likely grassed it. some times you just gotta let it bounce and take a chance. i always think teams as a whole should get better at getting back to cover the chance of a bad bounce, etc.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Maranta made a good choice letting that ball bounce. It was wet weather and no player was contesting it.

Even if it bounced the Knights way, they were well covered from what I saw.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
glenn has been MUCH better since he's had an actual five-eighth inside him.

gillett was pretty average imo. he seems unsure of where to run. no good at hitting holes. and his defense is pretty suspect at times.

on that bomb that maranta left alone i dont think he had much choice. the ball swung away from him very late and i think if he made a grab he'd have most likely grassed it. some times you just gotta let it bounce and take a chance. i always think teams as a whole should get better at getting back to cover the chance of a bad bounce, etc.

What holes? I thought his defence was first class - 37 tackles including a critical last ditch one, ran for 134 metres - 2nd most by our forwards, and his vision to get the ball out wide to Copley was class.

What's with this fucking anti-Gillett agenda?

B

BroncosFan4Life7

NYC Player
Sep 1, 2013
Lachlan Maranta- amazing stuff! Awesome line break and a well deserved try. He played his heart out tonight and he also proved all the haters wrong. He is not in the team because of his name, he is in the team because he came play football! Amazing player and an even better bloke. Well done Lachy!

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Good win. Hardly sterling opposition, but good to see the boys pile on the points. We've been guilty of lowering our standard of play to match the competition, so it was pleasing to see a dominant victory.

I particularly liked the fact we ran in six tries in the last twenty odd minutes. Very rare for us.

Hodges really showed how much difference it makes having some class and vision at the back. Chimed in on both sides of the field and was a key link man in every one of our attacking raids (much like Stewart at Manly).

Would also like to credit our kicking (conversions notwithstanding). Aside from one bomb from Barba, it was a very good display. Many repeat sets, and touch finders deep in their half. Really kept the tempo in our favour. Having Macca, Hunt, Barba and Hodges all chipping in kept them guessing.

Good efforts from the whole side really, but it's extra pleasing to see Kennedy, Reed and Maranta have good games. I've been critical of all of them but Marty ran with purpose and dented the line along with getting quick play the balls. Reed made the most of quality ball via Hodges and Barba, and was a rock on defence. Maranta backed up the play well and we finally saw his fabled foot speed!

I expect to see us stick it to St George next week if we follow that blue print.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Swordfish
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Seibs
  • Harry Sack
  • phoenix
  • Big Del
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.