Round 24 - Broncos Vs Storm - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
The Hunt / Norman combo in the past has worked well.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Norman reminds me of Joel Moon. Just not quite enough between the ears to play in the halves. Bulk him up and see how he goes in the backrow.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Because we're short of backrowers....?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Because I think that's how we will get the best out of Norman.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
His defense would let him down big time.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
KLlgo.jpg

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
To flog the Storm, the solution here is really a no brainer: Gillett to FB and 5/8.

Simple

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
To flog the Storm, the solution here is really a no brainer: Gillett to FB and 5/8.

Or just tell them, there is free money etc, no questions asked & watch the players race off to grab it.

And this is what we will do.
evil-anim-devil-evil-bad-smiley-emoticon-000279-large.gif

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Difference is Ben Barba has spent 2-3 years full time in that position & played his juniors there.

Norman was thrown in for a couple of games, eventually exposed and has been a five eigth up until now.

If they wanted to try things how about playing somebody who's done the job before like Gerard Beale?

Yeah let's continue to develop players for the club they are going to, after all the broncos are now just a feeder club right?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Some of you seem to be going so far around in circles you're turning yourselves inside out in an attempt to shift/point the blame at anybody other than the player who is at the root cause of our attacking problems. i:e Peter Wallace

Only weeks ago according to some, Norman was a nuffy who was hogging the ball and couldn't be a play maker to save his arse and Wallace had been out playing him by a country mile

Now he'll (Norman) be our saviour/play maker from fullback .........??

Srsly.......wtf???

Sometimes the simplest solutions are actually the best.

1. Hoffman / Beale
6. Norman
7. Hunt

14. Wallace

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDr.gif

What most of us said was Norman would be better at fullback because currently all he does is run the ball with the odd bit of play making for something different, so if he wants to run the ball why not put him in a position that he can have some space to run in attack...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
There's nothing you'd be developing by giving Beale a game or two at the back.

It's just rolling with your best options.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
There's nothing you'd be developing by giving Beale a game or two at the back.

It's just rolling with your best options.

But it's about developing Norman. It's not like he hasn't played fullback before. He did a fair job in his first stint but was very young and his body wasn't up to it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
If we're using key matches on the eve of the finals to develop a player who's been decidedly average thus far at fullback on the eve of the finals then I'd have to reconsider my opinion of Hook.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
If we're using key matches on the eve of the finals to develop a player who's been decidedly average thus far at fullback on the eve of the finals then I'd have to reconsider my opinion of Hook.

At this point he doesn't have any option but to try something different. A "spine" of Hoffman-Norman-Wallace-McCullough has been crap for months now.

A "spine" of Hoffman-Hunt-Wallace-McCullough with Norman on the bench hasn't been tried much, but its one game saw us fail to really test Canberra's defence. Canberra! Please.

A spine of Norman-Hunt-Wallace-McCullough saw us jump to a 14-0 lead against the almost-certain minor premiers riding a 10-game winning streak...

It's been the first ray of hope in a long while so hopefully, adding Hoffman to the wing, who is more dynamic and capable of tackle busts than Maranta, will build on that. That's no criticism of Maranta who has had a wonderful first stint in first grade and is a player of the future, no doubt.

It's not perfect, and it's certainly not Hook's first choice but given injuries to Copley and Yow Yeh and Gagai's sacking, attacking prowess is lacking out wide.

For all Norman's nuffiness, he has at times looked dangerous running the ball. But at five-eighth with our flat attacking line he's completely ineffective. At fullback, with more room to move, maybe he'll produce a bit more?

I don't understand why you're so opposed to it.

In a perfect world the players would realise they need to get deep, run lines, run decoys, run angles, and Wallace will magically become an Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer, meticulously pulling the right string at the right time.... but then we might wake up.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

You do what you want champ. I would be reconsidering my opinion of hook if he was doing nothing. Sticking to the current plan hasn't worked and it won't work. He moved norman to fullback and it was the first time in months this team looked like it could actually score a try, not just fluke one. Talking about making changes on the eve of the finals is pointless, cos at this stage if nothing changes we won't even make the bloody finals

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i'm quietly confident. i'm glad they are persisting with norman at hte back. hoffman will do good on the wing.

watch the first 20 mins of the doggies game. we were OUTSTANDING. barring a little polish we would of been up 24 nil.

thats enough for me to believe we can do more of it, for longer periods in the game. my only worry is the same thing happens again this week - forwards tire, bench forwards arent effective.

hopefully parker is FIT to play

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I don't believe Norman at fullback meant our forwards started throwing money passes, hitting harder and running better lines.

If anything the addition of Hodges allowed Te'o to shift to the backrow and that gave us some fantastic balance.

I've already explained why I'm opposed to it but here's a summary:

1. Norman is a mediocre fullback. He had a solid game on the weekend but there were faults there that I can see being exposed by sides like Melbourne & Manly. I don't see any potential of him at the back and really just see it as a stop-gap.

2. Not a fan of the proposed shuffling technique, sides has enough problems without having to worry about shuffling every set.

3. I want to see a combination of Norman-Hunt given a run. Wallace did nothing to justify his spot on Sunday and has been in career worst form for ages.

broncos4life - He can make other changes to the side.

I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse here. Obviously members are just trying to be upbeat and supportive because they know it is what it is and there's nothing they can do to change it. You guys have adopted a wait and see approach, fair enough.

I'll give Norman till Friday. Eagerly awaiting some humble pie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Strop
  • bazza
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Big Del
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.