Round 24 - Broncos Vs Storm - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, about what people think that we are poor in attack in the opposition red zone, here's an interesting stat, again from the game preview on nrl.com:

" In fact, no side in the Telstra Premiership is as lethal when attacking the line as Brisbane with an NRL-best 46 tries scored from within 10 metres this season."

From within 10m.... grubbers, dummy half and inside balls.

I think most of the criticism has come from more like 20-30m out. Coming up empty time and time again or even failing to get a repeat set of six.

Am I the only one that would like to see how Norman goes in the centers? He has a good running game when he has a bit of room. Strikes me as a potential Jamie Lyon type player who can run well and supply good ball to his winger.

A stat I heard from the Wok about a month ago was we had scored 12 tries of 68 from outside 20. The least in the NRL.

Every team would have that stat and know we rarely have a crack unless we get inside 20, so that becomes easier to defend us. Just stack the middle of the field stop our roll with numbers in tackles slow down the ruck and we won't even try to score.

As I have been harping on about for a while, IMO, this team is overcoached to play safety first footy.

Last week was heaps better, this week I think if we improve a touch more we are a big chance of beating Melb.

i just keep thinking back to the first 20 mins last week and how excited i was to see us play like that.

we can definitely keep building on that. we arent finished this year jsut yet.

Am I the only one that would like to see how Norman goes in the centers? He has a good running game when he has a bit of room. Strikes me as a potential Jamie Lyon type player who can run well and supply good ball to his winger.

I don't think Norman has anywhere near the play reading and creative vision of Lyon, yet, or ever. I rate Lyon very very highly as a centre and effective play maker. In fact, I think he's the best centre going around.

Still, an interesting idea ... but when?

Last edited:
I don't think Norman has anywhere near the play reading and creative vision of Lyon, yet, or ever. I rate Lyon very very highly as a centre and effective play maker. In fact, I think he's the best centre going around.

Still, an interesting idea ... but when?

I can't argue with your assessment of Lyon. Obviously I don't think Norman would replicate Lyon straight away. He just strikes me as someone that could play a Jamie Lyon type role for our team. I think Norman has a tendency to over think situations - resulting in him doing nothing. Perhaps if we put him in the centers where he wouldn't need to be relied upon as much would free him from such burdens and give him a bit more free reign. Confidence will come.

When? Not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing it this season whilst we are short on backs but our dicey finals situation complicates it. Hoffman back at fullback, Reed on the wing and see how he goes. Just food for thought.

I can't argue with your assessment of Lyon. Obviously I don't think Norman would replicate Lyon straight away. He just strikes me as someone that could play a Jamie Lyon type role for our team. I think Norman has a tendency to over think situations - resulting in him doing nothing. Perhaps if we put him in the centers where he wouldn't need to be relied upon as much would free him from such burdens and give him a bit more free reign. Confidence will come.

When? Not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing it this season whilst we are short on backs but our dicey finals situation complicates it. Hoffman back at fullback, Reed on the wing and see how he goes. Just food for thought.

For me at least, Norman has been a real disappointment at 5/8 even though he had huge shoes to fill. I for one, have been waiting for him to grow in confidence, which sadly, depends a lot on success and building on it. So maybe you could be right - put him in a position with less responsibility (maybe) at centre.

I can't see it happening this season though. I think Hook is committed to the 5/8 experiment with Norman & Hunt, and now it seems, with the fall back position of Norman at FB and Hunt at 5/8, with Hoffa given a break on the wing.

I certainly wouldn't like to see Reed on the wing as I think he is too valuable where he is, and I like genuine pace in a winger which Reed lacks.

All fair points. Perhaps give it a try in the trials next year or something.

Just what the Spider Monkeys need... another player like Jamie Lyon!

As long as he doesn't kick I'll be fine.

Not sure if already mentioned but Fox Sports reported tonight that there is high hopes that Parker will play. Fitness test tomorrow.

Hopefully this will just be a straight slot into the back row, sending Gillett to the bench. None of this shuffling the pack, Thaiday to front row shit.

If Norman was to play centre Reed should play fb.

Not sure if already mentioned but Fox Sports reported tonight that there is high hopes that Parker will play. Fitness test tomorrow.

Hopefully this will just be a straight slot into the back row, sending Gillett to the bench. None of this shuffling the pack, Thaiday to front row shit.

On 4BC last night the sports news said Parker was a certain starter. Thought I must have heard wrong because I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else.

Both the 7 and 9 morning shows were running reports that Parker was set to pass a fitness test and play tomorrow night.

Parker always plays earlier than expected so he must be a certainty.

Very true simmo77.

I reckon if Parker died, it'd only take him 2 days to resurrect.

he nearly played last week, didnt he? always thought he'd be a late inclusion for tomorrow.

Very true simmo77.

I reckon if Parker died, it'd only take him 2 days to resurrect.

That's assuming he is able to die in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.