Round 24 - Knights vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Great to get the win and secure 3rd spot. Tonight was a real test of our composure and we failed badly until YY took the pressure off with his intercept.

Defensively we were quite good especially on the edges but we will really need to be better with ball in hand over the coming weeks.

McGuire was brilliant again tonight as was Glenn (my MoM ). Knights were as expected IMO just lacking in general.

Hodges looks gone for the year, which hopefully means Reed will get a bit more ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who else thought the Wallace try was obvious, yet the fox comentators seemed convinced Gidley had grounded it. Alexander at least got it right at the end but the other 2 just couldn't see it. WTF?

Who else thought the Wallace try was obvious, yet the fox comentators seemed convinced Gidley had grounded it. Alexander at least got it right at the end but the other 2 just couldn't see it. WTF?
Not sure. No doubt that he knocked it on and we grounded the ball. Not so sure if he didn't ground it in goal before all that though.
BOTD goes to the attacking team though, so fair enough.

What ever the **** the club is doing in rehab for Hodges' hammy injury is clearly not working.

Didn't Vatuvei have a chronic hamstring injury? Do what ever he did because clearly what ever is being done now is not working. So frustrating!

Win by 20 points, I'm happy with that and we kept them to 6 points. If we can just improve our ball handling we can go a long way. I also would prefer Glenn at right centre with Te'o moving to the backrow.

hate to spoil it for ya spwn, But there is a good chance Hodges just isn't up to it long term anymore.

Our worst performance in ages, but it was greasy so the dropped ball was a little excusable. Great aggressive defense from both sides also caused errors, so many strong hits popping the ball out. We will struggle heavily to score enough to beat Melbourne, Manly and the Tigers without Hodges, man I hope it is only a fortnight he is out for.

Our worst performance in ages, but it was greasy so the dropped ball was a little excusable. Great aggressive defense from both sides also caused errors, so many strong hits popping the ball out. We will struggle heavily to score enough to beat Melbourne, Manly and the Tigers without Hodges, man I hope it is only a fortnight he is out for.
Not so sure about the Tigers. They have been going well, but I don't think it has much to do with their defense.
We would struggle to beat the other 2 with Hodges. No doubt we can beat them though, outside of their home grounds in particular.

The most disappointing thing about the Hodges injury was that the club had identified a ceiling (the amount of work he was able to absorb over a period of weeks or months) at which point his hammy was a good chance of going. Despite knowing this he was allowed to play over the last few weeks. Tonights injury was entirely preventable. It was not an acute injury, merely the result of medicos unable to manage his workload sufficiently.

If we are to win the premiership he is the only player along with Lockyer we cannot afford to lose. I'm extremely disappointed the club didn't give him either last or this week off. I've no doubt that is what caused the reoccurrence.

Good win tonight, I thought we were always in control.

The worst part about the Hodges injury is the club/ Hodges had identified the potential for more damage during the week and yet he was still allowed to play. Surely by now the club must be aware of when he shouldn't play. The only thing I can assume is Hodges was desperate to play and kept the true extent of the injury quiet, that or Brisbane are desperate to finish 2nd.

Good win tonight for sure, and although I got really angry at the display in the last 20 minutes of the first half, showing a total disrespect for the footy and opponent, I like how we defended well, practically eliminating their strongest weapon (combo Mullen, Houston, Mad Dog and Uate) except for that absolute brain snap with the scrum against 12 men.

Except for those 20 minutes where the team collectively and individually failed in attack.

Wallace was maginificent guiding the team around and in defense too, increasingly taking the reigns and allowing Locky to choose his moments.
Excellent work by McGuire and Anderson, as well as the usual suspects in Parker, Thaiday, Gillett, Te'o and a much improved Glenn, laying the platform for the backs to finish it off. Special mention to Macca and Hunt, who both did a terrific job, especially that desperation tackle by Macca, holding Gidley up on the try line. More minutes also to Hala, who came up with a beauty of a bell ringer on Stig (who was giving me the sh!ts with all the inocuous stepping).

In the backs, the usual suspects as well... Reed excellent, Hoffman threatening, Yow Yeh aiming up in defense and a real headache in attack. His intercept was a beauty of a defensive play that he turned into a try for us, and then and there decided the game! Beale was solid, Hodgo very good until the hammy, but good news from Hook in the post-match presser, explaining they don't think it's a tear, just spasms of a tight hammy. Hodgo walked off the field by himself, which is very encouraging too, so fingers crossed!:pray:

3- Wallace
2- McGuire
1- Thaiday

Last edited:
The most disappointing thing about the Hodges injury was that the club had identified a ceiling (the amount of work he was able to absorb over a period of weeks or months) at which point his hammy was a good chance of going. Despite knowing this he was allowed to play over the last few weeks. Tonights injury was entirely preventable. It was not an acute injury, merely the result of medicos unable to manage his workload sufficiently.

If we are to win the premiership he is the only player along with Lockyer we cannot afford to lose. I'm extremely disappointed the club didn't give him either last or this week off. I've no doubt that is what caused the reoccurrence.

That sounds very interesting. I don't understand why they risked him this week. We don't need Hodges to beat the Knights, they are **** instead we risked him and how he could be gone for the season.

It's even more important we come 2nd now because a win in the 1st week of the finals giving us the second week off would mean Hodges would have 5 weeks between to heal before we play our first sudden death game, or at least 4 if we don't get the week off in the finals.

He's such an important player for our side, it frustrates me that they can't get his hammy right.

And Draggx, I'm completely ignoring that.

McGuire at this rate should have a bench spot locked in for next season.

We can win it without Hodges for sure! he will be back anyway but will prob do it again, needs a full off season to heal. Glenn or Teo to centers to cover. Beale is another option for centre with Copley or Gagai onto the wing. Safest bet is prob Glenn defensively but Teo was a weapon there last year especially on the right side. So excited about the next 6 weeks regardless of Hodges!

Drag queen was talking about next season. McGuire should have inside running for the bench behind Petero and Hannant

Drag queen was talking about next season. McGuire should have inside running for the bench behind Petero and Hannant

Yeh with Hala there as well watch out! How good was his hit last night

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • NSW stables
  • Porthoz
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.