Round 25 - Broncos vs. Knights - Post Match Discussion

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The highlight of the night for me apart from Oates try was getting home and pouring 3 fingers of Kraken rum to drown my sorrows

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
Hunt had a few shocking moments, like the dropped ball, but he did do some good things. After a full preseason I reckon he'll really start to develop.

It's not the shocking moments that worry me. It's the 75% of the game when I'm not even sure he's on the field. The remaining 25% is split between some really nice moments and some horrendous moments. Someone with 90 odd NRL games under their belt, even in their not preferred position needs to be able to inject themselves into a game much more.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It's not the shocking moments that worry me. It's the 75% of the game when I'm not even sure he's on the field. The remaining 25% is split between some really nice moments and some horrendous moments. Someone with 90 odd NRL games under their belt, even in their not preferred position needs to be able to inject themselves into a game much more.

Yeah, the bad plays are disappointing, but not as much as him going missing for massive periods at a time.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
The highlight of the night for me apart from Oates try was getting home and pouring 3 fingers of Kraken rum to drown my sorrows

the NRL released its own Kraken at Suncorp tonight ...

980654-ashley-klein.jpg

Last edited:
Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Hunt gets away with it cos he has only had a handful of games at 7 this year. The major issues have been there for 23 games now.

That said, Hunt was awful for the 3rd week in a row. Not average, awful. As bad as Wallace has ever been. I'm willing to give him more time but he isn't the saviour in the halves. It probably actually highlights that there is a real game plan/structure/coaching issue in attack. As well as a decent attacking fulllback. No matter who is in the halves, they're failing.

As for the game... Jesus. This had to be th first year I am a season member didn't it. Making it hard to shell out $500+ for next year...

In the same boat here. Maybe we don't renew and the team wins a premiership? hahaha

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Even when we lead 14-0 I didn't feel confident and it proved as we failed to go on with it after taking an early lead. Our attack isn't up to it if running the wrong lines, taking the wrong options in attack, failing to use your outside men etc was a criminal offence most of our backs would be getting assigned to a cell at Wacol. The whole game plans and everything needs a complete shakeup during the off season and signing Barba won't automatically fix the problem, use the man and the team properly.

I'm mad at Newcastle's tactics as well tonight proved Wayne Bennett is a hypocrite, complaining about diving for years just look at how your own team played tonight dude.

Anyway that's my story.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
Were always going to be up against it when a ref decides to end the contest in the first 5 mins of the second half, unbelievable that a ref could be stupid enough to sin bin a captain in an obvious milk and in what should have been a dominant tackle,
Did you not see Thaiday holding the guy down? The refs were appalling as they have been all season and the Knights copped 4 against them in the first 15 minutes. Thaiday is not, never has been and never will be the right person for the job as an NRL Captain.

In some other teams he would be lucky to make the bench. What makes it worse is his flippant attitude in press conferences.

Hunt had a few shocking moments, like the dropped ball, but he did do some good things. After a full preseason I reckon he'll really start to develop.
Hunt has "shocking moments" every time he plays a game.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'll summarise the presser for those not interested:

"So uhhh, umm, [tsk], we played well in the first half, uhh, umm, yeah, umm second half wasn't so good, [tsk], uhhh, yeah"

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Even when we lead 14-0 I didn't feel confident and it proved as we failed to go on with it after taking an early lead. Our attack isn't up to it if running the wrong lines, taking the wrong options in attack, failing to use your outside men etc was a criminal offence most of our backs would be getting assigned to a cell at Wacol. The whole game plans and everything needs a complete shakeup during the off season and signing Barba won't automatically fix the problem, use the man and the team properly.

I'm mad at Newcastle's tactics as well tonight proved Wayne Bennett is a hypocrite, complaining about diving for years just look at how your own team played tonight dude.

Anyway that's my story.

Didn't he recently say at a press conference that if that was how the game was going to be reffed, he'd coach his players to take advantage? I sure hope Griffin is doing the same. The team's not there to be nice, they're there to win, it's up to the refs to penalise players for diving/milking.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Didn't he recently say at a press conference that if that was how the game was going to be reffed, he'd coach his players to take advantage? I sure hope Griffin is doing the same. The team's not there to be nice, they're there to win, it's up to the refs to penalise players for diving/milking.

I didn't hear about that but i've heard him going off at players in the past for diving in the past, I don't usually watch the post-game conferences.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Did you not see Thaiday holding the guy down? The refs were appalling as they have been all season and the Knights copped 4 against them in the first 15 minutes. Thaiday is not, never has been and never will be the right person for the job as an NRL Captain.

In some other teams he would be lucky to make the bench. What makes it worse is his flippant attitude in press conferences.

Hunt has "shocking moments" every time he plays a game.
The only ruck penalty that imo was justified was the one by Prince, which was just dumb, the others were incredibly soft. Gagai milked it, his arm was deliberately interlocked with thaiday, it's coached, a better ref would have seen through it.

I have never seen him flippant after a loss. He's always been contrite and appropriate imo. A loss is frustrating enough as a fan, let alone a player, a lesser man would let the disappointment get the better of them and whinge and whine about something out of their control. I doubt i could be as reserved and measured 10mins after a loss.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
I'll summarise the presser for those not interested:

"So uhhh, umm, [tsk], we played well in the first half, uhh, umm, yeah, umm second half wasn't so good, [tsk], uhhh, yeah"

Classic Hook! Is there anywhere on the internets that I can watch it (just the conference) on replay?

Rowan Edwards

Rowan Edwards

BRL Player
Jul 15, 2013
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not much else to say at this point. My biggest concern is that last season, despite horrible attack, at least we were good defensively. Now we are just as embarrassing there.

Lets pretend Wallace playing hooker is the right choice, wouldn't it make more sense to start him and have him play the first 20 of each half instead of coming on at the 20, draining all momentum? I mean, his biggest asset is his defense and reliability. Why not let him tackle his guts out and then send Macca on to set up attack against tired defense? You don't waste an attacking player (sad when Macca is considered the 'attacking' player of the two) in the opening exchange.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
The only thing good about this loss is that we can stop stressing about the finals and eye down the 2014 season starting tomorrow morning. Bit like 2010 it's dissapointing to miss out on September action but it's a relief it's all over after stressing about the finals in the run-home.

Unread

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.