Round 25 - Broncos vs. Knights - Post Match Discussion

Yeah i'm the same, I think I secretly wanted them to lose tonight, and I hope they lose next week. Just to give them a real kick up the arse.

I agree that Hunt seemed to go missing for large portions of the game too, I have no clue where he was.

Even if Thaiday was the best forward in the comp, i'm still against anyone being captain if they can't play 80 minutes. I think it HAS to be a spine player, or lock. It has to be someone who can constantly talk to the players, in attack and in defense. I can't believe they overlooked Parker. But now its too late, if they strip Thaiday it will just look embarrassing. The Broncos have a habit of 'faming' their captains in their "hall of heroes" in the leagues club, so they would look silly only giving him 2 seasons. But I still hope they change it. Thaiday has no clue how to talk to referee's, he lets the decisions get to him, and he ends up pissing them off.

Things i'm looking forward to in 2014:

Hodges, Barba, Yow Yeh and Hala healthy for round 1.
Norman and Wallace gone forever.
Signing Milford, or another promising half.
Preparing to spend money at the end of 2014 to get either DCE or Smith, or both, for 2015.
Parker as Captain.
McCullough to play 80 minutes.
An actual bench rotation.
An actual bench.
Fire Hook, or at very least Kearney, and give Hook one final chance.

In 26 years, finishing 14th will be the lowest we've EVER finished. Impressive!

We sucked nearly as bad as Ashley Klein.

Echoing people's sentiments about Thaiday, it was embarrassing hearing fans - Broncos and Knights alike - laughing and joking about him during and after the game. Our captain is a joke.

On a different note, you got to feel bad for Gidley. I don't rate him much as a player but he can't catch a break. He and Campese will go down as two of the biggest 'what ifs' in the game.

...no pun intenfed btw.

I told a mate of mine last night, even if we win this game we still suck.

Let me spit some vile and I will be released of the venom.

Dear sloths, ( my name for Griffin and Thaiday)

To Anthony sloth... You really have no idea do you? First stroke of genius was picking Maranta again. Second stroke of genius was pulling Parker and McCullough at the same time when there were a few minutes of cohesion. With the Maranta saga, I can't even blame the poor kid because it's not his fault that he is being picked. It is like when a kid is playing up in public, 9/10 times it is the parents fault for allowing it. Anthony Sloth, under your coaching design the Broncos have now won 10 from your last 30 games. That is what we call an epic failure. As a favor to the city of Brisbane, turn in your whistle right now.

To Sam Sloth... When I look back at the last two years and think of your good moments, I think of one good line that you ran in Origin 2 and honestly that is it. For you to be in the starting side, let alone CAPTAIN is disgusting. You cant play a good half of football let alone lead a side. Give me Parker, Glen or McCullough over you any day of the week. I would advise you to take up a new career as you are not overly successful at your current one.

To the rest of the cast and crew.... Pretty much anything you did was going to be nullified by the sloths. Oates looks great but I am bummed that Hunt really has only produced 1 1/2 reasonable games out of the last 6. To think you are the savior at the number 7 is really a big pipe dream. I hope you prove me wrong but I have a suspicion that you wont. While I like the courage and heart of Reed, for the love of god, don't apply so much glue to your hands. As for Mr. Hoffman, great players take the off season to develop their skills. Take Kobe Bryant, every off season he would bring a new weapon to his game. Spend a little less time moping about what position you are playing and beg Darren Lockyer to teach you some basic passing and kicking starting now and use them regardless of what number is put on your back. To everyone else, good luck.

Not much else to say at this point. My biggest concern is that last season, despite horrible attack, at least we were good defensively. Now we are just as embarrassing there.

This is my biggest concern. I've been saying it all season - at the start of last year, our defence was what carried us to #2 on the table. Our attack was spluttering, but other teams simply could not score big points against our brilliant defence, so we could do enough to get over the top of them. Then after Origin last year our defence started to slip, and our attack didn't improve. We know how that turned out. Cue this year, and rather than being back to where we were at the start of last year, our defence was still ordinary. Our attack was still ordinary. We have lacked stamina since game #1. I don't know what we did in the off-season. I don't know what we do at training. Through this year, NOTHING has improved, absolutely nothing. And that's the most disturbing thing.

Adding Barba next year still doesn't improve the fundamental issues with the way we play. If anything it'll show it up even more (ie. lack of support play, lack of speed). With the players we have, we should be better. The coaching staff need to pull their heads out of their collective arses. And we need an on-field leader. Hunt and Macca need to step up, 2014 should be their last chance as well as Hook's.

If we come out next year and our defence and attack are the same as this year, I won't be watching. I can't fucking stand seeing what our great club has become, it genuinely hurts. The people who are in a position to change this, better fucking do something about it over the next 6 months.

I'll summarise the presser for those not interested:

"So uhhh, umm, [tsk], we played well in the first half, uhh, umm, yeah, umm second half wasn't so good, [tsk], uhhh, yeah"

only thing worse were the frightened work experience kids masquerading as sports journalists in that presser... Seriously, why won't anyone ask an honest question of this coach regarding the putrid football this team plays every week after the clock strikes 20 ??

You know the answer as well as anybody Sharky. Politics.

Yeah i'm the same, I think I secretly wanted them to lose tonight, and I hope they lose next week. Just to give them a real kick up the arse.

I agree that Hunt seemed to go missing for large portions of the game too, I have no clue where he was.

Even if Thaiday was the best forward in the comp, i'm still against anyone being captain if they can't play 80 minutes. I think it HAS to be a spine player, or lock. It has to be someone who can constantly talk to the players, in attack and in defense. I can't believe they overlooked Parker. But now its too late, if they strip Thaiday it will just look embarrassing. The Broncos have a habit of 'faming' their captains in their "hall of heroes" in the leagues club, so they would look silly only giving him 2 seasons. But I still hope they change it. Thaiday has no clue how to talk to referee's, he lets the decisions get to him, and he ends up ****ing them off.

Things i'm looking forward to in 2014:

Hodges, Barba, Yow Yeh and Hala healthy for round 1.
Norman and Wallace gone forever.
Signing Milford, or another promising half.
Preparing to spend money at the end of 2014 to get either DCE or Smith, or both, for 2015.
Parker as Captain.
McCullough to play 80 minutes.
An actual bench rotation.
An actual bench.
Fire Hook, or at very least Kearney, and give Hook one final chance.

In 26 years, finishing 14th will be the lowest we've EVER finished. Impressive!

Can't see Hodges in Round 1, jury out on YY
Norman and Wal - hell yeah
Milf or another half? I really hope so
DCE or Smith - I can't see either but I am begging to be wrong
Parker captain - wanted this when Locky retired, but again I can't see it happening
Macca for 80 - or a great injection of energy and quality from a real bench hooker - I'll take either
Bench and bench rotation - seemingly not gonna happen while Hook's the big cheese
Change in the coaching ranks - like too many other points, can't see it happening but hope to be wrong

I wish the coach would watch how Melbourne and Manly structure their attack. The problem is obviously with the coach. We have the likes of Glenn, Thaiday, Hannant, Gillett and Parker in the forwards who can all ball play yet we see none of it. A decent coach could come up with some terrific attacking set movements with this team. At the moment we just have this one out, flat attack, conservative rubbish. Sometimes with the occasional inside ball and a bomb to the corner.

With Barba lurking out the back next year we should see some world class attack but it will probably be another year of mediocrity.

We only know how to play Bennett ball, yet when the games have been out of reach we play Warrior ball and score tries. Surely there is a happy medium?

This is my biggest concern. I've been saying it all season - at the start of last year, our defence was what carried us to #2 on the table. Our attack was spluttering, but other teams simply could not score big points against our brilliant defence, so we could do enough to get over the top of them. Then after Origin last year our defence started to slip, and our attack didn't improve. We know how that turned out. Cue this year, and rather than being back to where we were at the start of last year, our defence was still ordinary. Our attack was still ordinary. We have lacked stamina since game #1. I don't know what we did in the off-season. I don't know what we do at training. Through this year, NOTHING has improved, absolutely nothing. And that's the most disturbing thing.

Adding Barba next year still doesn't improve the fundamental issues with the way we play. If anything it'll show it up even more (ie. lack of support play, lack of speed). With the players we have, we should be better. The coaching staff need to pull their heads out of their collective arses. And we need an on-field leader. Hunt and Macca need to step up, 2014 should be their last chance as well as Hook's.

If we come out next year and our defence and attack are the same as this year, I won't be watching. I can't ****ing stand seeing what our great club has become, it genuinely hurts. The people who are in a position to change this, better ****ing do something about it over the next 6 months.

Well this, although I suspect our fearless leaders are hoping Barba will demand the structures our leaders fail to deliver and the players will respond or risk being laughed out of the NRL

Last edited:
I don't think you can be a successful captain if your own form is consistently down on where it should be, Thaiday has been poor for 2 seasons now. Bennett had to make a tough call in his Broncos career and it defined it and the club, Thaiday is no Wally Lewis, it might be time for a spill.

The two situations have nothing in common. Wally's form was very strong in '89.

The two situations have nothing in common. Wally's form was very strong in '89.
Except to the extent that sometimes a tough call is necessary, I wasn't suggesting the situations were the same.

IMO last night we lost the game in the 10 minutes leading up to halftime where Newcastle scored a try and held out our an attacking raid, it gave them a physiological boost and they went on with the job after the break.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • theshed
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Jedhead
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • FACTHUNT
  • Lazza
  • Footy Fanatic
  • mrslong
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.