PRE-GAME Round 3 - Broncos vs Eels

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Ferguson will bully Oates all night if he isn't up for this. He's had a chance to hit the reset button on his season now, I expect that he actually has his head screwed on in defence. If I see one up and in which leads to Ferguson scoring.........
I think the issue with oates defence is his limited agility. He hangs back in the defensive line to cover a kick behind the line (which he has to do because he is slow turning around and chasing), but when he decides to come in and try and shut down the play, he has to cover too greater distance and doesnt get there in time.

It is a shame because i like oates but the opposition seem to have worked him out. Even his early hit ups do not appear to be as effective, as most opponents are grassing him by taking his legs early rather than wrestle (where he used to just make massive amounts of PCM).

Fergo is arguably the best winger in the competition, Oates wouldn't make my top 10. Fergo has an excellent high work rate, is supremely fit and is an out and out athlete. If Oates can become anything like Fergo I'd be over the moon. Fergo doesn't even have that many brain farts in him anymore.
For whatever else you can say about Fergo, it's just nice to actually see a guy cut it as a Winger and be seemingly content to stay there and excel in that position.

So many guys spend 5 minutes on the Wing and then want to move clubs to be a Fullback or a Centre or a 5/8. It's refreshing to see a guy get to the top of the pile by sticking to the position and working on it to try and master the role without demanding a shift elsewhere for a change.

Personally I think Oates is finally outgrowing his wing position and will need to start transitioning into the forward pack.

Yep, particularly given we've got talent like Farnworth sitting behind him demanding more minutes.

Personally I think Oates is finally outgrowing his wing position and will need to start transitioning into the forward pack.
He hasn't played as a Backrower for a looooonnggg time now. It's a big leap of faith to assume he could just jump straight back into it now and hold his own at NRL level.

Yep, Oates and Farnworth should be swapped. Oates is half the winger he was in 2015/2016. Farnworth has gone past him now in my opinion, mainly due to Oates going backwards I suppose.

Siebs seems to have made a lot of good decisions this season, so I back his decision to start him for now. I don't mind a coach showing some faith and some continuity is good given so much of this side has changed from last year.

1. Gutherson (Eels)
2. Sivo (Eels)
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Blake/Boyd (toss a coin)
5. Ferguson (Eels)
6. Milford (Broncos)
7. Moses (Eels)
8. Paulo (Eels)
9. Mahoney (Eels)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Glenn (Broncos)
12. Matterson (Eels)
13. Carrigan (Broncos)

Bench: (Broncos, like just)

Picking best in head to head, it should be close but you would say at this point in time, the Eels probably have it but fast forward to later in the season when hopefully Fifita and TPJ are back, this probably then swings Brissy's way.

It's game day to let's get ready to do abita rippin and a tearing.

1h93Z1T.gif

Have to say I have my doubts about this. For me I am worried about Oates body being able to stand up to the wear and tear of forward play. He just seems a bit brittle for some reason which I can't really explain and I doubt he could cope with the rigours of a forwards workload.
Apart from that we have got one of the best packs in our history as well as good depth and I can't see him forcing his way even onto the bench.
I think wing is his spot and he should just concentrate on that.

Yep, Oates and Farnworth should be swapped. Oates is half the winger he was in 2015/2016. Farnworth has gone past him now in my opinion, mainly due to Oates going backwards I suppose.

Siebs seems to have made a lot of good decisions this season, so I back his decision to start him for now. I don't mind a coach showing some faith and some continuity is good given so much of this side has changed from last year.

1. Gutherson (Eels)
2. Sivo (Eels)
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Blake/Boyd (toss a coin)
5. Ferguson (Eels)
6. Milford (Broncos)
7. Moses (Eels)
8. Paulo (Eels)
9. Mahoney (Eels)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Glenn (Broncos)
12. Matterson (Eels)
13. Carrigan (Broncos)

Bench: (Broncos, like just)

Picking best in head to head, it should be close but you would say at this point in time, the Eels probably have it but fast forward to later in the season when hopefully Fifita and TPJ are back, this probably then swings Brissy's way.

I'd take Flegler over Paulo, so we should have the advantage in the forwards.

Mail going around that Ethan Bullemore will play tonight, meaning Rhys Kennedy will drop off the bench for Lodge.

Well Siebs if definitely doing everything he can to nurture this current special next gen coming through.
[automerge]1590634356[/automerge]
I'd take Flegler over Paulo, so we should have the advantage in the forwards.

So would I but just trying to take my personal feelings out of it as much as possible. I have Flegler starting for Qld this year in my head but I don't think it will actually happen.

Last edited:
For whatever else you can say about Fergo, it's just nice to actually see a guy cut it as a Winger and be seemingly content to stay there and excel in that position.

So many guys spend 5 minutes on the Wing and then want to move clubs to be a Fullback or a Centre or a 5/8. It's refreshing to see a guy get to the top of the pile by sticking to the position and working on it to try and master the role without demanding a shift elsewhere for a change.
To be fair he did start as a winger at sharks, but was moved into center (and became an absolute weapon)... moved to raiders as a center and continued to play well, but then his form fell off a cliff when he decided to have a few cruisers on Dugan's roof.

Roosters then picked him up on the cheap and turned him into a workhorse winger (for the good of the team).

After signing with eels Brad Arthur indicated that at training he refers to himself as the best center in the game... likely tongue in cheek, but Arthur played him at center early on at Eels and he had an absolute stinker... since then he's been back on the wing.

So whilst he's seemingly happy on the wing it would seem he still considers himself a center at the end of the day.

I would say that a guy who epitomises the fulltime winger mentality is Mansour... I don't think there has ever been consideration to move him off the wing and he doesn't seem like he wants to change teams for a different position... despite being one of the best wingers running around a few years back.

One thing that will be interesting tonight is which side of the field Glenn lines up on.

He's been a left edge player his whole career, but Fifi has been lining up on that left side when starting... with TPJ on the right.

You'd think when we are full strength Glenn and Fifi start in the back row with TPJ subbing in for Glenn and playing out the remainder of the game on his edge.

My preference is Fifi on the right because it works with his step and fend (on the left he is constantly reaching over his body to fend).

TPJ is also a natural left sided player (left hand carry) and was playing left side initially (his offload to Staggs for his try on debut was a thing of beauty)... so realistically it makes sense that Glenn starts on the left with TPJ subbing in and playing out the rest of the game. Whilst Fifi plays 80 on the right.

However Fifi has been saying he likes the left because of the communication he gets from Darius in regards to defence... he could just be playing the team card though.

Personally I'm hoping that Glenn lines up on the left tonight... as that may be an indication that Fifi will line up on the right when he returns.

You would think if the plan is to play Fifi on the left that Glenn would line up on the right to start building combinations with Croft and Staggs

Last edited:
Wing Stats

Corey Oates 2019 - 22 Games, 13 Tries, 13.1 Runs, 144.8m, 13 Line-Breaks, 65 Tackle-Breaks, 4 Offloads, 37 Errors, 1 Penalty

Blake Ferguson 2019 - 18 Games, 10 Tries, 16.7 Runs, 158.1m, 9 Line-Breaks, 58 Tackle-Breaks, 14 Offloads, 33 Errors, 4 Penalties

I was surprised at how even those stats were, I'd give Ferguson the edge, but it's not by much.

FairDinkum.... we play the Eels tonight. tonight!!!!!!

I be walking with wood right now🍌

Awesome day👍

Let's go lads,!
[automerge]1590638705[/automerge]
Also,,,
Bring back the girls game.
So entertaining, fucking brilliant sport!

Last edited:
If from May 28th 2021 onwards doesn’t become a public holiday to honour Saint V’Landy’s day then the world can go and get stuffed.

I don’t think there has been this much anticipation for a normal regular season game. Be interesting to see how many eyeballs are on the game globally tonight. At the very least if we don’t win I just hope it is a great spectacle so that at least Rugby League can be the winner.

If from May 28th 2021 onwards doesn’t become a public holiday to honour Saint V’Landy’s day then the world can go and get stuffed.

I don’t think there has been this much anticipation for a normal regular season game. Be interesting to see how many eyeballs are on the game globally tonight. At the very least if we don’t win I just hope it is a great spectacle so that at least Rugby League can be the winner.
The NRL have been smart about the games the chosen for the next 2 weeks. There's rivalries and the majority of the games have teams of equal ability so there should be close contests. There's going to be a lot of extra eyes watching around the world so hopefully they put on a show for the good of the game.

I was just reading that Fox League will using a virtual audio to try and imitate the cheers, boos and what not that you'd hear in a normal game. Interested to see how this turns out with an empty stadium.

Either way, pumped for tonight's game and the season to get back underway!

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Rambstien
  • Morkel
  • thenry
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • kiwibronco
  • something
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.