Round 3 - Broncos vs Roosters - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Twopoo is on Maranta's side right? Will be interesting to see those two against each other. Defensively, Maranta is bloody solid under the high ball, and obviously Twopoo is great at plucking it out of the air himself.

Yep, same side. It will be a good test for Lachlan. Lachlan is about 6"3 with his boots on, but Daniel Tupou is 6"5. I have confidence Maranta can do the job.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
We're definitely up against it this time. True, I didn't expect a win against the Cowboys either, but they aren't capable of the same relentless pressure as the Chooks.

As others have mentioned, now is a good time to take some chances in attack. Getting into a war of attrition with the Roosters will end badly.

If we can remain competitive (within 12), and get some more fluency in attack, that should serve us in good stead for the easier match ups thereafter.

Unfortunately I don't have tickets to this one, but hopefully I can jag some through work.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
We improved in attack against the Cowboys so it will be interesting to see if we can improve some more under the chooks pressure

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
I hope Hunt works hard on his passing technique this week. There's no excuse for a NRL halfback to throw such crap passes as he did on Friday even when he was not under pressure.. It should be fixable, maybe it was just nerves. Hoffman has to be persuaded to sometimes actually pass the footy. All they can do this week is work on minimizing the penalty count and errors and hopefully we can be competitive. Some sort of kicking game would be nice.Barba has to be nursed along for a while yet. Obviously he's not fully fit. I still think we should be looking for a quality half or 5/8 and a real attacking centre for the rest of the season. Anymore where Rahahha came from?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I hope Hunt works hard on his passing technique this week. There's no excuse for a NRL halfback to throw such crap passes as he did on Friday even when he was not under pressure.. It should be fixable, maybe it was just nerves. Hoffman has to be persuaded to sometimes actually pass the footy. All they can do this week is work on minimizing the penalty count and errors and hopefully we can be competitive. Some sort of kicking game would be nice.Barba has to be nursed along for a while yet. Obviously he's not fully fit. I still think we should be looking for a quality half or 5/8 and a real attacking centre for the rest of the season. Anymore where Rahahha came from?

Look for a real attacking centre? I'm PM'ing Hodges & Copley on this reply, they're going to be pretty dismayed.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Next 3 games are Roosters, Dragons and Eels.

Could we possibly be 4-1?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Not confident against the Roosters / Dragons, but I think we can wreck the Eels.

Dragons actually look pretty damn good, will be hard to beat once Dugan is back (I think he's back in Round 5, so we might just miss him)

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Not confident against the Roosters / Dragons, but I think we can wreck the Eels.

Dragons actually look pretty damn good, will be hard to beat once Dugan is back (I think he's back in Round 5, so we might just miss him)

My only hope is that it was against the Warriors and Tigers so we can beat them just by playing tough for the 80.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
While Dragons haven't been going up against teams in form, they have been tremendous regardless.

Widdop has been great with the forwards in the middle, and one of our biggest weaknesses is our middle defense. Broncos can't escape with a win for much longer, they need to do something about their attack and quick.

I think 3-2 is more likely.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014

Perfectly achievable IMO. As stated by others though, the Dragons are looking better than many expected. Provided we don't rest on our laurels, I'd expect us to win against them and Parra.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, Eels are easybeats ,no problem, just turn up and smash them just like last year".............oh wait,

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Hoffman at 6 has produced 2 wins.

I'm loving the fact the boys are grubbering to get around the umbrella defence/winger rush up and in.

K Hunt used to do it perfectly and we've seen it executed twice this season so far, resulting in perfect results (Barba -> Copley, Hoffman -> Vidot).

The big problem is our long kicking game though.

The Roosters coming off a big win and without SBW, might be a little complacent.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Yeah, Eels are easybeats ,no problem, just turn up and smash them just like last year".............oh wait,

Exactly.

The NRL is just completely random.

Better to bet on the intangibles (new coach, ASADA drama, key player signing with another club) than anything else.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
One game at a time folks

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
There are no longer any guaranteed wins with the Broncos and I'll be nervous every time we take the field this year. Roosters are going to be really tough to beat but certainly not impossible, we will have the home ground advantage and they will be coming off a massive win so you could expect some complacency. We need a better kicking game from Hunt (obviously) but he also needs to share the duties more often amongst Macca and Barba, Hoffman should only kick as a very last resort.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Look for a real attacking centre? I'm PM'ing Hodges & Copley on this reply, they're going to be pretty dismayed.

Speaking of Hodges.... what is the status on him these days?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Did anyone see the sunday mail article about McGuire?

His response to tackling Lui around the legs....he didn't know it was illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.