Round 3 - Broncos vs Roosters - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive test for our forwards, as i rate the Roosters pack up there with the Bulldogs as far as size and skill are concerned.

Are boys are really going to have to step up.

Roosters weaknesses are:

SKD's derpness and poor defence
Minichiello's terrible hands
Giving away more penalties than anyone else
And most importantly, no SBW, who is easily their best (ball) player.

Not sure how we'll exploit the first 2, but we'll need to make the best of all of our chances, because their defence is really good outside of SKD.

Roosters weaknesses are:

Not sure how we'll exploit the first 2, but we'll need to make the best of all of our chances, because their defence is really good outside of SKD.

And Pearce chokes in Queensland.

Roosters weaknesses are:

I think if we hold our defensive structure, we'll win.

The Roosters tear apart bad D, but struggle against good defence (see rd 1).

McGuire with two grade one charges, likely to miss one week.

McGuire Faces Suspension - Broncos

I can live with both charges.

In saying that, I'd love for the judiciary to point out the difference between that tackle on the one Starling produced on Hampton in Round 1 (58 minutes in for reference). From the footage I've seen, they were virtually the same tackle yet only McGuire has a case to answer. It's these type of inconsistencies that frustrate me as a fan.

I can live with both charges.

In saying that, I'd love for the judiciary to point out the difference between that tackle on the one Starling produced on Hampton in Round 1 (58 minutes in for reference). From the footage I've seen, they were virtually the same tackle yet only McGuire has a case to answer. It's these type of inconsistencies that frustrate me as a fan.

The only slight difference I can see with the Starling tackle is that initial contact looks to be just above the knee and slips down straight after, whereas with McGuire's I recall the tackle initiating below the knees?

McGuire collects Lui around the same area as Starling but it appears he gets a better piece of his intended target than Starling.

I don't think there's enough of a difference between the two to justify one player getting a harsher sentence than the other. Both had the same intention, both went in as hard as the other, the only difference is McGuire has a better technique than Starling. By rewarding Starling's poor technique I feel like they're contradicting their intentions to deter defenders from taking out the legs.

Not worth kicking up a huge fuss about, but it's these type of rulings that annoy me.

It's funny you say they both had the same intention, because to me I thought they both had the same lack of intention. In both instances I reckon if the kicker stands upright the contact area is fine, but because of the kicking motion they end up hitting them below the knees. It's kind of bullshit all round IMO because if they aimed any higher then if they don't kick they'll probably get pinged for a high tackle.

McGuire collects Lui around the same area as Starling but it appears he gets a better piece of his intended target than Starling.

I don't think there's enough of a difference between the two to justify one player getting a harsher sentence than the other. Both had the same intention, both went in as hard as the other, the only difference is McGuire has a better technique than Starling. By rewarding Starling's poor technique I feel like they're contradicting their intentions to deter defenders from taking out the legs.

Not worth kicking up a huge fuss about, but it's these type of rulings that annoy me.

It is definitely worth kicking up a fuss about.

I can see us winning this.. provided Hunt doesn't do his best impression of this when kicking:

1zo8020.jpg

I'm expecting:

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Corey Parker
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Matt Gillett

14. Martin Kennedy
15. Corey Oates
16. Todd Lowrie
17. Jarrod Wallace

I'm expecting:

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Corey Parker
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Matt Gillett

14. Martin Kennedy
15. Corey Oates
16. Todd Lowrie
17. Jarrod Wallace

I would start Kennedy over Hannant. Finally give him some serious minutes to show off what he can do.

I can see us winning this.. provided Hunt doesn't do his best impression of this when kicking:

1zo8020.jpg

I can just picture this being the Roosters fans in the crowd. A bit of shock at first, then laughter whenever Hunt kicks the ball.

funny-gif-baby-scared-laughing-reactions.gif

Not sure why people keep naming Oates on the bench, from what I understand he's not even close to returning

Not sure why people keep naming Oates on the bench, from what I understand he's not even close to returning

From what I've seen he's been a full participant at training lately and he's no longer wearing the red medical vest.

Could be wrong though

I will be very interested to see who McGuire's replacement will be.

Hook has the opportunity to blood somebody off the bench. Going on reports and past selections, those chances appear to be remote but if I was in charge, I reckon now would be as good as time as any to give Molo or Ofahengaue a taste of first grade.

I mean, aside from the possibility of bringing Granville in the team to play off the bench, which seems counter-productive to the Macca goes the 80 experiment, I don't see the point in any of the alternatives. Would Green or Hala really offer more at this stage? Hala's form is still pretty scratchy and Green, while a depth option, would be wasted in a cameo role.

I will be very interested to see who McGuire's replacement will be.

Hook has the opportunity to blood somebody off the bench. Going on reports and past selections, those chances appear to be remote but if I was in charge, I reckon now would be as good as time as any to give Molo or Ofahengaue a taste of first grade.

I mean, aside from the possibility of bringing Granville in the team to play off the bench, which seems counter-productive to the Macca goes the 80 experiment, I don't see the point in any of the alternatives. Would Green or Hala really offer more at this stage? Hala's form is still pretty scratchy and Green, while a depth option, would be wasted in a cameo role.

I'm worried from last week's reports that Granville will indeed be on the bench. He'll get steamrolled by the Roosters forwards. He's tenacious, but ultimately he'll be clinging on to their boots and giving them quick play-the-balls unless our forwards can compensate for him, which of course will be counter-productive to the no-weak-link approach that's won us the first two games. IMO, either McCullough persists with 80 minutes, or we put a strong defender like Glenn in at hooker and use our backs, with dummy-half scoots, to keep momentum in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncojim
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Maroon4life
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • whykickamoocow
  • Fozz
  • LittleDavey
  • theshed
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.