POST GAME [Round 4, 2022] Warriors vs Broncos

Who said anything about stopping to look for support?

Seriously, do you have trouble reading or is it understanding what’s written? Maybe it’s both?

Your posts have proven you’re beyond help when it comes to rugby league, but it may not be too late in other areas. Here you go:

how else was he supposed to get it to Farnworth because he was behind him .
so you resort to personal attacks , maybe you are just extremely intelligent for a 5yr old and i can't keep up.

I don't necessarily agree that it should have been a penalty. But the thing that make me think he could of pulled out of it is Fleggs was following the ball from the hands, his head turns with the ball so he could have pulled out but like you say chose to go on with it and cost us. These are things he needs to work on especially now the refs will ping him for even breathing to hard.
Exactly.

It wasn't the most blatant penalty of all-time, but after hearing Annesley's wishy-washy explanation of the Su'A incident I wasn't surprised to see him off the field. If players go looking to put a shot on, they run the risk of being sent to the sin-bin. The appropriate course of action then is to look for a regulation tackle.

I didn't mean to harp on it but there was a lot of confusion around the incident so I thought I'd clear it up. Even Fox Sports failed to show a clip of the incident after it happened.

how else was he supposed to get it to Farnworth because he was behind him .
so you resort to personal attacks , maybe you are just extremely intelligent for a 5yr old and i can't keep up.
Mate, give up.

It’s clear you haven’t read what I said and / or don’t understand it. I’m inclined to think it’s the latter as you continue to misrepresent what I said or simply add in things I haven’t said.

FTR; you conveniently forget you started this interaction by stating “Fucking seriously some of the dribble”.

If you want people to speak to you respectfully, maybe take a moment to think about how you start a conversation with them.

You may also want to work on your retorts. Not sure saying you’re intellectually inferior to an intelligent 5yo was your intent, but then again, maybe it’s accurate.

EDIT: mods, no need to say anything, I’ve had enough, so I’ll stop now.

Anyways...

Watching the game again, it was just one of those afternoons for the Broncos. They were already at a disadvantage without Capewell & Riki, so to lose Patrick Carrigan and Albert Kelly before half-time was less than ideal.

It was a difficult game for them to get up for. Last week was really disappointing because it's a home game against the Cowboys, that should be pencilled in and built up like an Origin game but the Warriors at a neutral venue with drinks breaks?

It was one of those games where I felt the boys really needed to lift the tempo but despite their best efforts they just fell short. Bless his heart, Tommy Flegler means well but he's just so awkward out there. I remember two occasions last year where he tried to do the big Gorden Tallis jersey tackle and somehow managed to end up under-neath the tackler on both occasions!

He's got a habit of putting himself in these poor positions and it ended up hurting the team. Late tackle penalties and now a two week suspension, he needs to work on his technique pronto. I saw the Dylan Napa comparisons and it can't be anymore accurate. 10 years ago, Flegler would be one of the most exciting young players coming through but the game has changed since then. If you're going to make a big shot, you have to make sure they have the ball, end of.

I expected more of Flegler who owed the team after missing three weeks. The intent is there, but if he wants to be a quality player he needs to make the necessary changes. I was also concerned with Carrigan's performance. I know he's been carrying a knee injury but it took him awhile to really warm into the game. Quite often he was behind on his runs and it wasn't until he produced that offload he made any positive contribution. Again, like Flegler he was guilty of trying too hard when he just has to do his job.

Of course the biggest elephant in the room is Kotoni Staggs. So much of the Broncos attack is designed around giving him early ball and playing off the back of it but he's struggling big time. He made 12 carries on the weekend which is about standard for a centre, but he seems to be having this crisis of confidence. I'll be interested to see how the Broncos respond because if it was me, instead of focusing on Staggs, I'd actually pay more attention to the left hand side.

That's where the Broncos have had some success and I'd be looking to focus on that side more. I didn't think Farnworth or Oates had their best games after a strong season. I thought their carries lacked venom with Farnworth guilty of doing too much crabbing to centre the ball and Oates succumbing to tackles far too easily. I've read some comments on here praising Oates as a MotM and while I won't argue the point because nobody played their best game I'm disappointed in him as a senior player. There's no reason why he isn't involved in every set coming out of trouble - that's his speciality, that's why he's in the team but there's time where he's off with the fairies.

If I was coach, I wouldn't be criticing Oatesy, I'd be reminding him of how good he is and building his confidence. He needs to know how vital he is and how his carries can really spark the side.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the changes. The Broncos have blown their squad up twice in three years now, it's time to let things settle and build some new combinations. They're already going to be up against as is with their injuries. I'd say Billy will get first crack at 6 which brings Paix onto the bench. Carrigan and Flegler are out so I'd bring Kennedy in and have Jensen on stand-by in case Riki and Capewell are still unavailable. The only unforced change I'd consider is Jordan Pereira for Selwyn Cobbo. I think he needs a break and I think Pereira will be a bigger asset for his team mates. One player I'd like to see drafted into the squad is Zac Hosking. I wouldn't play him just yet, but I'd like him to realise how close he is and to keep working on his performances because he should be an option for the backrow. I wouldn't be against naming Mariner as a reserve either. He's still too raw just yet, but again as coach, I think he has 3 good games of first grade in him and I want that.

Tough loss and quite frankly there's going to be some more ahead. However I don't think the club needs to blow itself up for the 3rd time in 4 years and I think they're capable of better.

Anyways...

Watching the game again, it was just one of those afternoons for the Broncos. They were already at a disadvantage without Capewell & Riki, so to lose Patrick Carrigan and Albert Kelly before half-time was less than ideal.

It was a difficult game for them to get up for. Last week was really disappointing because it's a home game against the Cowboys, that should be pencilled in and built up like an Origin game but the Warriors at a neutral venue with drinks breaks?

It was one of those games where I felt the boys really needed to lift the tempo but despite their best efforts they just fell short. Bless his heart, Tommy Flegler means well but he's just so awkward out there. I remember two occasions last year where he tried to do the big Gorden Tallis jersey tackle and somehow managed to end up under-neath the tackler on both occasions!

He's got a habit of putting himself in these poor positions and it ended up hurting the team. Late tackle penalties and now a two week suspension, he needs to work on his technique pronto. I saw the Dylan Napa comparisons and it can't be anymore accurate. 10 years ago, Flegler would be one of the most exciting young players coming through but the game has changed since then. If you're going to make a big shot, you have to make sure they have the ball, end of.

I expected more of Flegler who owed the team after missing three weeks. The intent is there, but if he wants to be a quality player he needs to make the necessary changes. I was also concerned with Carrigan's performance. I know he's been carrying a knee injury but it took him awhile to really warm into the game. Quite often he was behind on his runs and it wasn't until he produced that offload he made any positive contribution. Again, like Flegler he was guilty of trying too hard when he just has to do his job.

Of course the biggest elephant in the room is Kotoni Staggs. So much of the Broncos attack is designed around giving him early ball and playing off the back of it but he's struggling big time. He made 12 carries on the weekend which is about standard for a centre, but he seems to be having this crisis of confidence. I'll be interested to see how the Broncos respond because if it was me, instead of focusing on Staggs, I'd actually pay more attention to the left hand side.

That's where the Broncos have had some success and I'd be looking to focus on that side more. I didn't think Farnworth or Oates had their best games after a strong season. I thought their carries lacked venom with Farnworth guilty of doing too much crabbing to centre the ball and Oates succumbing to tackles far too easily. I've read some comments on here praising Oates as a MotM and while I won't argue the point because nobody played their best game I'm disappointed in him as a senior player. There's no reason why he isn't involved in every set coming out of trouble - that's his speciality, that's why he's in the team but there's time where he's off with the fairies.

If I was coach, I wouldn't be criticing Oatesy, I'd be reminding him of how good he is and building his confidence. He needs to know how vital he is and how his carries can really spark the side.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the changes. The Broncos have blown their squad up twice in three years now, it's time to let things settle and build some new combinations. They're already going to be up against as is with their injuries. I'd say Billy will get first crack at 6 which brings Paix onto the bench. Carrigan and Flegler are out so I'd bring Kennedy in and have Jensen on stand-by in case Riki and Capewell are still unavailable. The only unforced change I'd consider is Jordan Pereira for Selwyn Cobbo. I think he needs a break and I think Pereira will be a bigger asset for his team mates. One player I'd like to see drafted into the squad is Zac Hosking. I wouldn't play him just yet, but I'd like him to realise how close he is and to keep working on his performances because he should be an option for the backrow. I wouldn't be against naming Mariner as a reserve either. He's still too raw just yet, but again as coach, I think he has 3 good games of first grade in him and I want that.

Tough loss and quite frankly there's going to be some more ahead. However I don't think the club needs to blow itself up for the 3rd time in 4 years and I think they're capable of better.

Nice summary but do you think they are capable of better under the current coaches? What has made them go backwards from the backend of last year do you think?

Nice summary but do you think they are capable of better under the current coaches? What has made them go backwards from the backend of last year do you think?
Sure.

Now is Walters capable of taking them to the finals this season? I've yet to be convinced but the team still has time to prove otherwise.

I touched on it in my post, but I believe they're relying heavily on Kotoni Staggs and he's struggling to deliver. A lot of that is his own personal performance but the other is how the Broncos are telegraphing the play and making it easy for the opposition defence to read. I also think young Selwyn is playing out of position. He was playing centre last year when he played his best footy for the Broncos and I believe that's where he should end up. The Broncos are obviously developing him and they're using the wing as a training tool but positionally he's struggling.

Factor in injuries, ill-discipline and new combinations and it's no surprise they haven't clicked right away.

Sure.

Now is Walters capable of taking them to the finals this season? I've yet to be convinced but the team still has time to prove otherwise.

I touched on it in my post, but I believe they're relying heavily on Kotoni Staggs and he's struggling to deliver. A lot of that is his own personal performance but the other is how the Broncos are telegraphing the play and making it easy for the opposition defence to read. I also think young Selwyn is playing out of position. He was playing centre last year when he played his best footy for the Broncos and I believe that's where he should end up. The Broncos are obviously developing him and they're using the wing as a training tool but positionally he's struggling.

Factor in injuries, ill-discipline and new combinations and it's no surprise they haven't clicked right away.
I think we're really struggling to figure out when to go with the forwards and when to go sideways.

We seem to almost exclusively follow a formula on the get out sets, whereby we have runs from Herbie and Oates and typically three runs from the middles comprising Haas and Carrigan, and then either Haas again or another forward.

I think it's just too predictable and they allow themselves to have no feel for the game or how the defence is reacting to it. If there's a quick ptb Turpin should be running... if Herbie gets a quick ptb on tackle 2/3 keep following it up with outside backs and get the roll on through the ruck... we don't need to go to Haas and co every single set. It fatigues the middle and at times halts the momentum created by the quick ptb.

Similar to the formulaic approach that we have for the get out sets, it's like we just decide "ok time to go for a spread out to Kotoni or Herbie", but we don't seem to confirm that it's actually on by what the defensive line are presenting, before we pull the trigger on the play. If it's not on then the defence just rushes up and shuts it down before it can happen and several times Kotoni has been smashed by the winger or center, because it is so telegraphed and slow that the defence is instantly in position.

In the good old days we would go from one side of the field to the other with 3 passes (Macca > Wallace > Lockyer) and the fullback, center or second rower has it with a bit of space in front of them and the defence unable to adjust their compressed line... at the moment it's Turpin (stutter step) > middle (Carrigan, Kobe, etc.) taking it to the line and telegraphing a dump out the back to the edge half.

It's too congested and too slow to catch anyone out, and it's amplified by trying to do it on a slow ptb or a nothing ptb.

When I watch the storm it seems like the quick ptb is the trigger. The middles know their role is to create one and as soon as it hits it goes to the backline. The whole team know that when a quick ptb happens it's on and they all start moving forward.

We don't seem to have any idea what to do when a quick ptb happens.

I think we're really struggling to figure out when to go with the forwards and when to go sideways.

We seem to almost exclusively follow a formula on the get out sets, whereby we have runs from Herbie and Oates and typically three runs from the middles comprising Haas and Carrigan, and then either Haas again or another forward.

I think it's just too predictable and they allow themselves to have no feel for the game or how the defence is reacting to it. If there's a quick ptb Turpin should be running... if Herbie gets a quick ptb on tackle 2/3 keep following it up with outside backs and get the roll on through the ruck... we don't need to go to Haas and co every single set. It fatigues the middle and at times halts the momentum created by the quick ptb.

Similar to the formulaic approach that we have for the get out sets, it's like we just decide "ok time to go for a spread out to Kotoni or Herbie", but we don't seem to confirm that it's actually on by what the defensive line are presenting, before we pull the trigger on the play. If it's not on then the defence just rushes up and shuts it down before it can happen and several times Kotoni has been smashed by the winger or center, because it is so telegraphed and slow that the defence is instantly in position.

In the good old days we would go from one side of the field to the other with 3 passes (Macca > Wallace > Lockyer) and the fullback, center or second rower has it with a bit of space in front of them and hte defence unable to adjust on their compressed line... at the moment it's Turpin (stutter step) > middle (Carrigan, Kobe, etc.) taking it to the line and telegraphing a dump out the back to the edge half.

It's too congested and too slow to catch anyone out, and it's amplified by trying to do it on a slow ptb or a nothing ptb.

When I watch the storm it seems like the quick ptb is the trigger. The middles know their role is to create one and as soon as it hits it goes to the backline. The whole team know that when a quick ptb happens it's on and they all start moving forward.

We don't seem to have any idea what to do when a quick ptb happens.
I reckon we need that extra outside back a bloke like Pereria to come in and create that 1,2,3 of Oates, Herbie and Pereria. If that was the back 3 and we played off the back of that.
Ryan James does it well he hits his front and creates the quick play the ball whereas Payne he draws in more defenders but he fights for those extra metres and slows the play the ball down.

Watching the storm and the dogs game you could see exactly when they were going to go and everyone in the team new it was happening.

A game plan that involved actually chasing ARey’s kicks at least would be a start…

Why he is regularly beating the rest of the team to his own kicks? Must be frustrating the hell out of him, already…

Along with ball handling, it’s one of the most obvious signs of how little most of these blokes care…

A game plan that involved actually chasing ARey’s kicks at least would be a start…

Why he is regularly beating the rest of the team to his own kicks? Must be frustrating the hell out of him, already…

Along with ball handling, it’s one of the most obvious signs of how little most of these blokes care…

What I have seen is Rendiggity kick bombs , get hugged by the defence and held back from putting his team mates on side .
Not leading the line .

What I have seen is Rendiggity kick bombs , get hugged by the defence and held back from putting his team mates on side .
Not leading the line .
The eels game last week was absolutely ridiculous how offside they were in the kick chase minimum 10m and were never put back onside.

wasn’t a problem apparently.

I reckon we need that extra outside back a bloke like Pereria to come in and create that 1,2,3 of Oates, Herbie and Pereria. If that was the back 3 and we played off the back of that.
I'd like to see Jordan come in for Selwyn, who needs to be given specific instructions on what to work on in reserve grade. As in, no errors.

But Jordan's lost ball around the 37s mark might bring back memories of Jamayne and Xavier:

Defending bombs would be Jordan`s weakness .
If he is on the right Vs Tupou it could be an advantage to the Chooks .

Would it be worth giving Cobbs a shot at centre again? He was great there last year and it is apparently his preferred position. If we want to persist with Staggs, it would allows us to free up Herbie to go to fullback or if we have lost basically all second rowers this week, would allow us to still have Herbie at the back, Lee and Cobbo as centres and Staggs into the backrow.

Would it be worth giving Cobbs a shot at centre again? He was great there last year and it is apparently his preferred position. If we want to persist with Staggs, it would allows us to free up Herbie to go to fullback or if we have lost basically all second rowers this week, would allow us to still have Herbie at the back, Lee and Cobbo as centres and Staggs into the backrow.
If Cobbo is to remain in first grade, it can't be at wing. He can't catch a ball for shit and is magnetically attracted to the sideline.

If Cobbo is to remain in first grade, it can't be at wing. He can't catch a ball for shit and is magnetically attracted to the sideline.
Yeah he's not a winger he looks like a player who's learning the position. Playing him in a position he's comfortable in would do him a world of good because the quiet person he is confidence and nerves would effect him a fair bit I'd say.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • MrRobot
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brocko
  • Griffo
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.