Round 4 Historic Match - Panthers vs Broncos

Penrith with two try savers in a row, but they're compressed on their line and Brisbane sum it up nicely finding Cann to wrap the game up.

It's a shame Hancock didn't score, he was certainly deserving.

Who would be your top 3 Big Pete?
[automerge]1585911172[/automerge]
good win from the Boys ...

I think they have what it takes to go all the way 😛
We are only 4 rounds into the competition, bit early for that 😉

Last edited:
Who would be your top 3 Big Pete?

I'm leaning towards O'Neil, Hancock and Lazarus. I thought the Broncos counter-attack was the big reason why they won that game and those two were at the forefront of that. It was hard to pick a forward, so I'll just go with Lazo who was in the thick of it all night and helped saw the Broncos through to the end after Plowman's lazy effort on Leeds.

How about you?

Yeah I think your on the money with those 3, O'Neill was the best for the Broncos. Outstanding efforts to get out of ingoal had a serious impact on how the flow of the game could have gone in the panthers favor, his kicking game also got the Broncos out of a lot of trouble with the only blemish being that big break with an attempted infield kick that was charged down, if he looked inside he had Hancock in support.

Hancock was in there making solid metres and making it hard for the Panthers to bring him down he was in there helping the tiring Broncos forwards. He even looked like he was going to score in the leadup to the Broncos second try, I would say he deserved a try.

And Glenn Lazarus, wouldn't say it was his most dominating game I have seen from him, but he was taking the hitups and made some big solid metres there.

Last edited:
the only blemish being that big break with an attempted infield kick that was charged down, if he looked inside he had Hancock in support.

I thought the commentators were a bit rough on first view. Ultimately the pass would have been the better option in hindsight but Brandy had Hancock covered on the inside and O'Neil was just looking to give Mick the opportunity to establish a foot race which Hancock would have won.

I thought it was the right idea, Penrith just got a fortunate result out of it.

That sort of summed up that night for Brisbane. Everything that could go wrong did and Brisbane had to keep coming up with big plays just to survive.

I thought the commentators were a bit rough on first view. Ultimately the pass would have been the better option in hindsight but Brandy had Hancock covered on the inside and O'Neil was just looking to give Mick the opportunity to establish a foot race which Hancock would have won.

I thought it was the right idea, Penrith just got a fortunate result out of it.

That sort of summed up that night for Brisbane. Everything that could go wrong did and Brisbane had to keep coming up with big plays just to survive.
Perhaps your right and sometimes you can't help unfold the way it does in the end, I still think the better option was to get it to Hancock given how early in the tackle set it was, but O'Neill obviously had his reasons to do so.

In the end this is a great example though of the sort of game the Broncos were very much famous for losing in the early days. Broncos were great frontrunners in that once you gave them a sniff they would make you pay, but get them into a grind/arm wrestle and eventually you could wear them down. Then the Broncos brought in Gillmeister and Lazarus and suddenly the Broncos had a pack that could handle the grind/arm wrestle necessary in the crunch matches.

You guys may have noticed a sudden skip in the footage. About a minute or two were cut out, didn’t really miss anything though.

Unfortunately one of the downsides to collecting old games, especially games from 28 years ago.

You guys may have noticed a sudden skip in the footage. About a minute or two were cut out, didn’t really miss anything though.

Unfortunately one of the downsides to collecting old games, especially games from 28 years ago.

no worries mate ... i'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that we appreciate you sharing your collection with us to give us our Broncos fix during these tough times

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Bish
  • Skathen
  • Behold
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.