POST GAME Round 4 - Storm vs Broncos

Sep 27, 2020
In defence I noticed this year and last year is that the first player in nearly always goes high instead of going around the legs. This leaves the ball carrier on his feet to either drag the defenders a few more metres forward, open for an offload or at the worst a quick play the ball. Watch the teams in the top 4 and nearly every time the first tackler goes in low not high. Going low first stops the player in his tracks, makes them have to get up off the ground which not only tires them out but prevents a quick play the ball and off loading while falling is always much harder. I imagine the players are being coached to go high first in an attempt to prevent an offload but let's face it, it's not working.

TimWhatley

NYC Player
Dec 1, 2019
I think our go-forward is still the the biggest problem. Storm made almost 1000 more running metres than us and it's actually kind of impressive that we only lost by 34 points. For comparison, cowboys lost by 38 points and only had 200 less running metres than the sharks.

I don't fully understand why we can't make metres but I reckon if you replaced half our pack with a bunch of average, low cost props we'd be in a better position.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sep 6, 2013
In defence I noticed this year and last year is that the first player in nearly always goes high instead of going around the legs. This leaves the ball carrier on his feet to either drag the defenders a few more metres forward, open for an offload or at the worst a quick play the ball. Watch the teams in the top 4 and nearly every time the first tackler goes in low not high. Going low first stops the player in his tracks, makes them have to get up off the ground which not only tires them out but prevents a quick play the ball and off loading while falling is always much harder. I imagine the players are being coached to go high first in an attempt to prevent an offload but let's face it, it's not working.

Yes exactly and going high, they also somehow rarely wrap the ball up. It is woeful technique. Who is the defense coach? This should be the first thing they work in in training every week, go low and wrap the ball up, everything else is secondary.

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Early in the game i liked how we were looking to move the ball wider but we have to get the middle forwards out of it (unless it is asiata). Their passes back to the halves are so telegraphed, slow and poor that our halves have to stop and catch the ball at their knees, above their head or behind them. There is absolutely no reason that we couldnt have a half as first receiver and passing to the other half in that situation.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not sure how he can be classed like TPJ. There is a bloke who probably has 3 quality games a year. He's been far more consistent despite having to play long stints when he shouldnt have to. Haas falls into the same bracket ( and quite a lot of these younger players tbh ), they are playing way too much footy with no experienced players to help guide them on the field, and no real options to take them out of the firing line for a while. He didnt drop the ball at all last night and he badly missed one tackle. Other forwards did exactly the same kid of things. Apart from that he was ok, not great, just ok. He seems the new scapegoat for some.

Quite sad really that people cant accept younger players need to develop and they will have dips in form. Player development and the poor management of all these younger players is exactly why we are struggling. We have a fair few on here who are always calling for the next big thing to be thrown in because of the hype. It rarely ever works. I was one of the ones saying it was going to be a recipe for disaster when we went down this route and it gives me no satisfaction to be proven correct. You would think having Lockyer on board he would have been able to advise these clowns that going with so much youth was never going to work. He is as dumb off the field as he was smart on the field. Hopefully Donaghy will take control and sort out everything.

Maybe Lockyer being so good and from such a young age makes it hard for him to identify reliable players that need time to develop. It’s like how a lot of the time really gifted athletes aren’t good coaches because you ask someone like Michael Jordan how be a better basketballer and he says “have you tried dunking on opponents from the free throw line”.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Maybe Lockyer being so good and from such a young age makes it hard for him to identify reliable players that need time to develop. It’s like how a lot of the time really gifted athletes aren’t good coaches because you ask someone like Michael Jordan how be a better basketballer and he says “have you tried dunking on opponents from the free throw line”.

I think it just surprises me how he couldn't have pulled up somebody and said something many kids won't work. I get he might not be a good coach, but that's just common sense.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think it just surprises me how he couldn't have pulled up somebody and said something many kids won't work. I get he might not be a good coach, but that's just common sense.

It’s a tough one because it has worked at penrith, and Storm are doing a similar thing. We just botched it every possible step of the way and everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It’s a tough one because it has worked at penrith, and Storm are doing a similar thing. We just botched it every possible step of the way and everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

It's working now at Penrith, but I posted somewhere else it hasn't been an overnight thing and they had experienced players to guide them. They had Maloney for their halves, Tamou, Merrin and Grant for their forwards plus Mansour as well. Then they didnt try to go out and buy superstars, they got solid NRL players who do their jobs and perform like Korisau, Capewell and Eisenhuth. They raided the Cowboys for Kikau to compliment what they had. The only moved on the older guys and bought the younger guys through when they were ready. Its not even close to what we are doing.

Storm are a little bit different for me. They have always had plenty of experience in their side. They also generally let any player coming in ingrain themselves into their system and they quite often all play ISC for well over a year ( somebody like 1 1910 could correct me if i am wrong on this ).

I suppose my point is they dont rush their player development and they have players on the field who can help the younger guys out until they are ready. If it means them losing a Matt Burton or a Dane Laurie then so be it.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It's working now at Penrith, but I posted somewhere else it hasn't been an overnight thing and they had experienced players to guide them. They had Maloney for their halves, Tamou, Merrin and Grant for their forwards plus Mansour as well. Then they didnt try to go out and buy superstars, they got solid NRL players who do their jobs and perform like Korisau, Capewell and Eisenhuth. They raided the Cowboys for Kikau to compliment what they had. The only moved on the older guys and bought the younger guys through when they were ready. Its not even close to what we are doing.

Storm are a little bit different for me. They have always had plenty of experience in their side. They also generally let any player coming in ingrain themselves into their system and they quite often all play ISC for well over a year ( somebody like 1 1910 could correct me if i am wrong on this ).

I suppose my point is they dont rush their player development and they have players on the field who can help the younger guys out until they are ready. If it means them losing a Matt Burton or a Dane Laurie then so be it.

Yeah, as I said, we botched it at every possible opportunity

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, as I said, we botched it at every possible opportunity

Until we stop panicking any time a club shows interest in these young blokes we wont fix a thing. I hope we follow the Melbourne model tbh. Get good, ISC players with a point to prove ( Kamikamica, Hynes, Lewis ) then let their promising young guys ( Grant, Munster, B.Smith, Tino, Papenhauzen ) develop in ISC until they are ready.

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Until we stop standing flat footed in defence, with a D line letting the attack run 10-15 metres at us before we try to tackle, we will lose, even if we had players Munster and Paps, or other "gifted players" in the team. Stars don't win games, defence does.

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
Our defense is so slow right from the word go. It's the weirdest thing about it all. Under three coaches now, our defensive line doesn't move up. We just give them space and we're caught in this weird like scattered no man's land

Jedhead

NRL Captain
Jan 8, 2018
Our defense is so slow right from the word go. It's the weirdest thing about it all. Under three coaches now, our defensive line doesn't move up. We just give them space and we're caught in this weird like scattered no man's land
We're missing Alfie being on the field for most of the game organising the structures. Even when he retires the NRL still find ways to change the rules to stop the legend's influence on the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamsmith
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.