POST GAME [Round 5, 2022] Broncos vs Roosters

Oates has been vintage, I really hope we re-sign him - but only for 12 months at a time. He's one bloke who aside being likeable as all ****, has put his hand up and said that all the shit with Bennett/Siebold did his head in and he was kicking stones and not putting in, on or off the field. I appreciate that honesty, and I think so far he's one of the only ones who has admitted what we all knew.

One thing that stood out to me lastnight was that we're still losing the ruck, and badly. It seems like in most tackles, the boys end up on their back and tangled in with defenders. Yet we look so awkward when tackling. Is it unfair to put this on Bennett not liking the wrestle? Because we have always been absolutely terrible at it. I think we have improved, generally, over the years...but teams like Roosters, Storm, Panthers just seem to get away with murder. I don't know the solution here, and again, we've improved. I think NRL stats had about half a second difference in average play the ball speeds...which isn't much, but over 80 minutes of football that adds up and it's pretty significant.

Tesi I have no issue with really in attack, and pretty much for the same reasons as others have said. It's obvious he still has a lot to do on his defence. He seems to have become more vocal at the back, which is an important improvement. His positioning has improved as well I reckon. But yeah, his willingness to put his body on the line to stop tries is still lacking a bit. And his confidence under the high ball particularly needs a lot of work, get Milf back to put up bombs for him 3 days a week.

I was really happy with the attitude and scramble lastnight. I'm glad we've started the up-and-in edge defence all the top teams are running with. Some soft tries but they did struggle to score really, so I'm happy with that. Crushed for the boys, we probably deserved the win on balance, but were just outclassed. If we play like that every week we are absolutely top 8.

Another thing which occurred to me...this is the type of performance we were putting in at the back end of last year. The fact it's happening early in the season is a great sign IMO. We are on the way up, there is no doubt. Reynolds will start to have more impact as the season goes on and he learns everyone's game and vice versa. The last 2 weeks were utterly atrocious, but we took another big step forward this week. Now to back it up again next week - and honestly, I think we will. We've really taken it to Penrith over the past couple of years even though we haven't gotten the result. A showing like lastnight will go a long way to pushing them once again.
Definitely agree with your last paragraph. The issue we had last year is that we’d play like this against good teams at times and just not have the class to get the victory. Then we would play terrible against the teams we should be able to beat and lose winnable games. The result was some proud losses against better teams and some embarrassing losses against poor teams which obviously doesn’t do much for your ladder position.

If we play the way we do against the good teams when we face the beatable teams than the top 8 isn’t out of reach.

You guys are too used to blockbuster props. Thought James was pretty excellent in long minutes

James definitely doesn’t mate the meters he should. I imagine it’s due to doubts over the strength of his knee but he’s been alright defensively and as others have said, I think his selection is largely an experience / leadership based one. I haven’t looked at the stats but I can’t remember him giving away many/any penalties and don’t think he’s made an error either. I’d rather him than dumb **** flegler who gives away 4 a game.

Flegler needs to spend a month in Qcup and not be allowed in the NRL until he goes 2 games without Dumb penalties or errors.

James definitely doesn’t mate the meters he should. I imagine it’s due to doubts over the strength of his knee but he’s been alright defensively and as others have said, I think his selection is largely an experience / leadership based one. I haven’t looked at the stats but I can’t remember him giving away many/any penalties and don’t think he’s made an error either. I’d rather him than dumb **** flegler who gives away 4 a game.
You'd rather James over Flegler? wow

You forgot Capewell's idiotic obstruction on the fifth, totally unnecessary and led straight to a try. Stupid shit.
Well, that Capewell just shows everyone's lack of trust in niu, I would've done the same, Manu was charging through and NIU can't catch to save his life

Definitely agree with your last paragraph. The issue we had last year is that we’d play like this against good teams at times and just not have the class to get the victory. Then we would play terrible against the teams we should be able to beat and lose winnable games. The result was some proud losses against better teams and some embarrassing losses against poor teams which obviously doesn’t do much for your ladder position.

If we play the way we do against the good teams when we face the beatable teams than the top 8 isn’t out of reach.
Yes, this is what really annoys me about this team. They pull out a performance like that against the Roosters and really should have won the game. That just proves that they have the ability to do this, they apparently choose to not play this way and with this commitment.

If they had of played this way we could easily have been 4-1 now.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration. Ryan James has taken three hours of rugby league over five games to amass 220 metres of go forward!! Payne Haas did it in one game!

Of course, going forward isn't important for a prop, right @pagey?
not always no , much like blair when he was here didn't run for many meters but was a big part of our success in 15.
I'm not saying james is that but he obviously brings those other little things. I'm a little surprised you're not a fan considering your love for average players.

not always no , much like blair when he was here didn't run for many meters but was a big part of our success in 15.
I'm not saying james is that but he obviously brings those other little things. I'm a little surprised you're not a fan considering your love for average players.
Don’t let history rewrite itself. Blair was absolutely horrible at start of ‘15, we were all giving it to him. It wasn’t until Badel’s Teddy Bear jibe that he woke up and then did the 1%ers he came known for.

Don’t let history rewrite itself. Blair was absolutely horrible at start of ‘15, we were all giving it to him. It wasn’t until Badel’s Teddy Bear jibe that he woke up and then did the 1%ers he came known for.
That was after Round 2.

I remember it well because it was similar to a performance Thaiday gave against the Bulldogs in 09. The difference was that Blair was heavily involved in defence and was key in the Broncos ugly win over the Sharks. A lot were giving him a spray, but like James, a lot of fans could see the impact he was having on the team.

It did take fans awhile to come around, I remember him copping a lot of sprays after Round 9 when he dropped the ball cold off a kick-off in a crucial moment against the Cows.

That was after Round 2.

I remember it well because it was similar to a performance Thaiday gave against the Bulldogs in 09. The difference was that Blair was heavily involved in defence and was key in the Broncos ugly win over the Sharks. A lot were giving him a spray, but like James, a lot of fans could see the impact he was having on the team.

It did take fans awhile to come around, I remember him copping a lot of sprays after Round 9 when he dropped the ball cold off a kick-off in a crucial moment against the Cows.

Didnt he do something like that against Parra as well?

Didnt he do something like that against Parra as well?
Two years later popping a sneaky offload.

I remember it well. For me that was a statement game for the Broncos and a good win would have put them in good stead for the finals. Instead they concede 50 and it was all over.

Two years later popping a sneaky offload.

I remember it well. For me that was a statement game for the Broncos and a good win would have put them in good stead for the finals. Instead they concede 50 and it was all over.
Well, it was definitely quite the statement.

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Rambstien
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Lozza
  • Howie
  • Dexter
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.