POST GAME [Round 5, 2022] Broncos vs Roosters

What the Broncos did very well last night was listen to Reynolds and get to the 50 spot when he wanted it- there was once in the first half where he wanted it 50 and then 52 and they got it to the spot.

Off that the improvement in his kicking game and passing game was excellent.

It helped the Broncos' outside backs too, he was starting from where he wanted and could attack either side. Not having to adjust on the run because the forwards didn't get anywhere near.

The Broncos forwards have learnt over the last three weeks that you don't have to struggle for every inch. If the call is 50 then get there and play the ball- don't fight for 2cm and slow everything down.

What the Broncos did very well last night was listen to Reynolds and get to the 50 spot when he wanted it- there was once in the first half where he wanted it 50 and then 52 and they got it to the spot.

It helped the Broncos' outside backs too, he was starting from where he wanted and could attack either side. Not having to adjust on the run because the forwards didn't get anywhere near.

The Broncos forwards have learnt over the last three weeks that you don't have to struggle for every inch. If the call is 50 then get there and play the ball- don't fight for 2cm and slow everything down.
Yep, I think this ties back into my earlier criticisms of Patty. Him and Haas seem to think metres are more important than working toward points on the field.

Yep, I think this ties back into my earlier criticisms of Patty. Him and Haas seem to think metres are more important than working toward points on the field.

Yeah they haven't grasped it yet that coming out of your end all good get ground but if Reynolds wants it to the 50 when the Broncos are 30m out then just get there- it doesn't matter if we are 28m out stop fighting and get up.

I would be interested to see the PCMs we incurred when turpin and hetherington were on the field compared to when they were off it.
At times we did not appear to be able to get the roosters forwards down and they marched us up field on occassion. I think this was congruent with hetherington's time off the field.

I did get a bit annoyed at KW's press conference. He said that "we didn't do too much wrong in the second half". We had 24 points put on us by an "off" roosters team. That is quite a bit wrong.

For those who have previously questioned herbie's speed, he showed that by how easily he ran down naiqama. I know naiqama is not a noted speedster, but he is no slouch either.

If Kev can't see what went wrong, then he is never going to be the right coach for us. We are the biggest bloody club in the country and we can't get out of the bottom of the table!

Panthers next....

I would be interested to see the PCMs we incurred when turpin and hetherington were on the field compared to when they were off it.
At times we did not appear to be able to get the roosters forwards down and they marched us up field on occassion. I think this was congruent with hetherington's time off the field.

I did get a bit annoyed at KW's press conference. He said that "we didn't do too much wrong in the second half". We had 24 points put on us by an "off" roosters team. That is quite a bit wrong.

For those who have previously questioned herbie's speed, he showed that by how easily he ran down naiqama. I know naiqama is not a noted speedster, but he is no slouch either.
Herbie got to Kevin very quickly 🤭 how slow is naiqama🤣. On that same note that was very poor defence by Walters

If Kev can't see what went wrong, then he is never going to be the right coach for us. We are the biggest bloody club in the country and we can't get out of the bottom of the table!

Panthers next....

Only fool believe what coaches (in particular losing coaches) say in the post match press conference ... it is just a PR exercise.

What they say to the team and privately to individuals, behind closed doors is far more important

can’t agree about playing Tesi at centre. Would be a disaster again imo

from what I remember of Tesi at centre previously he looked quite promising. He breaks lots of tackles and has good footwork close to the line - reynolds putting him in space could lead to a lot of attacking opportunities and he won’t have the responsibility of fullback - which he clearly lacks the skills for.
As long as his defence holds up then he’d have a huge amount more upside than a plodder like Brenko Lee or an unproven unprepared rookie like Mariner

I think that's where Reynolds is key. He knows how to organise them to do what he wants. They haven't played in front of a half who can do that really. I really noticed that last night for the first time he was getting our players set a lot better.

can’t agree about playing Tesi at centre. Would be a disaster again imo

The other issue again is Tesi is another player who prefers that right side. He wasnt even that good there as well.

The other thing i see with him is his lack of physicality in the centers. He is like Billy Walters in some respects. He is decent when running and can break out of tackles, but he gets dominated physically.

The other issue again is Tesi is another player who prefers that right side. He wasnt even that good there as well.

The other thing i see with him is his lack of physicality. He is like Billy Walters in some respects. He is decent when running and can break out of tackles, but he gets dominated physically.
Yip Walters would go so much better if he had another Kg or two of muscle. He's effectively a lightweight playing in a heavyweight spot.

What’s the difference between 52 and 50? Why would you want 50 over 52? Sorry these are the nuances of the game I don’t know at all.

I get its nice to have a 2nd row capable reserve just in case who can also play middle but kevvie needs to either start using robati more or give him his minutes in qld cup instead. He'd be lucky to have played 30 mins total in his 3 games. No wonder he hasn't played well he's trying to make an impact in such a short time.
I'd be running a flegler, jensen and carrigan forward rotation off the bench. Carrigan, Jensen and flegler would keep our go forward and defence very good.
James could be 1st drop where he could do 20 mins total with 2 X 10 minute spells when we are defensively under the pump at the end of halfs.
Robati and piakura need to smash the door down in my eyes to get a look in. The "just in case/10 mins for experience" reserve is a luxury we can't afford

I get its nice to have a 2nd row capable reserve just in case who can also play middle but kevvie needs to either start using robati more or give him his minutes in qld cup instead. He'd be lucky to have played 30 mins total in his 3 games. No wonder he hasn't played well he's trying to make an impact in such a short time.
I'd be running a flegler, jensen and carrigan forward rotation off the bench. Carrigan, Jensen and flegler would keep our go forward and defence very good.
James could be 1st drop where he could do 20 mins total with 2 X 10 minute spells when we are defensively under the pump at the end of halfs.
Robati and piakura need to smash the door down in my eyes to get a look in. The "just in case/10 mins for experience" reserve is a luxury we can't afford
Robati playing 6 mins and James playing 39 makes very little sense.

Looks like 4 hours with Ash Barty’s shrink yesterday helped their performance somewhat. Maybe next week make it 5 hours Kevvie.

I'm still not sold on Billy at 5/8, I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't seem to be able have an influence on the game.
Not sure how TMM is going in qcup as to whether he is worth a shot, otherwise I'd like to see Tyson get a shot. I just love his competitiveness and he can put on a good ball to get a player through a gap.
I think it's about time to give Paix a start and have Billy at 14 because I think that's where he offers more to the team. Turpin is just so poor with his passing game and can't seem to get the forward pack humming.
I'm not sure how Herbie would go at fullback but I wish Kev would give him a try there as I think his fitness is up to it and has the speed and elusiveness to cause the opposition a few headaches. I'm also not sure how he will go catching bombs but I suppose there's only one way to find out.
I would also like to see Herbie take over the goal kicking as he proved a really reliable kicker when he took on the job last year.
It would not only give Reynolds a chance to not have that pressure on him but he would be in the huddle after a try is scored to give the team guidance and getting their minds back on the job for the next Set of 6 .
There is starting to be some light at the end of the tunnel but there is still a long way to go to get the consistency that we are all looking for.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Lozza
  • johnny plath
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.