POST GAME [Round 5, 2022] Broncos vs Roosters

Damn, Niu is absolutely copping it on here. I didn't think he was half as bad as people are making out. Obviously desperately needs to work on his 1 on 1 tackling and his work under high balls, but his attack is coming along. From a pure statistical standpoint he was great:

17 runs, 200 metres, 10 tackle busts, 2 line-break assists, 1 try assist, 0 errors.

The defense is a major issue however, if he can't get that sorted over the next couple of weeks we'll have to consider an alternative, but I'm still willing to give him a little bit more time than most of you it seems.

Staggs & Cobbo were great tonight, about time they stood up.

Game came down to a few crucial errors in judgement, we were the better side for 80% of the game tonight, you simply have to win footy games when that's happening. Can't let these good performances still end up in the loss column.

Him letting the high ball bounce all the time is exactly why he has to go. That kind of thing in a fullback isn't good enough. Combine that with poor defence and you have a recipe for disaster at fullback.

I do feel for him in many ways. Both on here and in the media he has been hyped up to high heaven. I've said from day one with him I've never seen it, but you have others on here who got carried away with what he was doing when he was a lot younger. He's probably the poster boy in many ways why you don't believe the hype and you let them prove themselves in ISC.

So had this thought watching live and it’s still bouncing around this morning.

Hass draws in 3 or 4 defenders every time he takes a hit up. Surely they can come up with a face ball after using him as a decoy?
Yes I was thinking the same when watching it live. He often gets through two defenders and an offload to a supporting runner would reap rewards. Blair used to do it with Milford, the golden days

Would I be out of line to suggest that we actually tend to look better without Patty? Does he have a tendency to try and be too involved. We seem to end up with him and Haas having a stat contest and never see any ball movement.

I think we missed him. Get him back to prop and our forward rotation is hugely improved. I think what you are saying though is similar to what Parker was saying, the other forwards seem to let them do all the work and I agree they are too involved. Kevvie could negate that I think by giving them shorter spells.

The big thing last night is I think Reynolds actually took control and that's the first game I've seen him do that. When your halves and hooker do that the forwards get the ball when they should get it rather than when they want it. Used to always annoy me when fans had a go at forwards for getting the ball and taking hit ups on the 4th tackle and the play died. That's all down to your playmakers who gets the ball. Forwards can't do much about that.

So the difference was two missed conversions.

If Tesi had remained onside before taking that pass, If Cobbs had managed to regather that ball as he went over into the in-goal?
The Rorters also bombed one just before half-time and despite the lead up being decidedly dodgy even if they had scored we were still the better team throughout the game.

Many 'pundits' were running the "Rorters have too much class for Brisbane" line, well it looks like the Broncos class sort of.... well outclassed them. If we can not only live but exceed what a team like the Rorters are offering then I'm happy. I want to see this sort of effort every week though.

A few on here have near crucified young Tesi, but he threw the pass for Oatesy's first try and he looked like he was having a dig all night so I can't bring myself to join the pile on of the young fella. If that's the worse he plays in games I'll be happy him keeping the spot until such times as Cobbo has enough first grade experience to slot into the FB role.

Skip Walters went OK at six but I don't think he really offers us much in terms of alternative attacking options from Reynolds. Every-time he runs the ball he does look exciting but I've yet to see him break the line and actually do something.

I would like to give Herbie a rap for his efforts in bringing us out of our own end. There were a number of times i saw him taking hit ups on the right side of our line because there was no one else ready to go. Well done that man.

Two of our worst the last couple of weeks were perhaps two of our best last night. We need to give them both a huge rap, but we also need to give the coaching staff a rap for sticking with them and getting them motivated into the right frame of mind.

Finally, our forwards played like a pack and a bloody solid pack at that. How JWH got away with his second leg bend on our Oatsey is quite baffling to say the least. On the replays it looked the more serious of the two. Maybe if Oates had layed down for attention we'd get the desired result from the bunker. Sad it's gone that way but that is 101 for the likes of the Storm.

Pity Kurt's 100th game ended in a loss, but a hat-trick to Oatsey down his side and such a strong team performance should be some small consolation for him.

I think we missed him. Get him back to prop and our forward rotation is hugely improved. I think what you are saying though is similar to what Parker was saying, the other forwards seem to let them do all the work and I agree they are too involved. Kevvie could negate that I think by giving them shorter spells.

The big thing last night is I think Reynolds actually took control and that's the first game I've seen him do that. When your halves and hooker do that the forwards get the ball when they should get it rather than when they want it. Used to always annoy me when fans had a go at forwards for getting the ball and taking hit ups on the 4th tackle and the play died. That's all down to your playmakers who gets the ball. Forwards can't do much about that.
The same goes for our centres too. They can only do damage from what the playmakers create for them.

A lot of the blame lays at the feet of Turpin and Kev.

Patty needs to play to his strengths which is a simple game of running to points on the field and defending well. He should do it at prop and have far less minutes. Palasia is good enough to cover him.

At lock he tends to try and do too much. He throws slow sloppy passes, he looks to pass lacks confidence and then holds onto it and runs sideways instead. I could be wrong but a lot of his lines look erratic and there’s no way he ends up getting tackled the part of the field the team wanted him to.

He needs to do less.

The same goes for our centres too. They can only do damage from what the playmakers create for them.
Yep, i think its slightly different because there is always a bit more scope for them to do what Hodges used to do and go looking for some ball, but you are right, they do need to be given better ball.

The thing we have lacked for years is direction and Reynolds gave us that last night. He's starting to work out the other players now in a game situation and its looking really promising.

A lot of the blame lays at the feet of Turpin and Kev.

Patty needs to play to his strengths which is a simple game of running to points on the field and defending well. He should do it at prop and have far less minutes. Palasia is good enough to cover him.

At lock he tends to try and do too much. He throws slow sloppy passes, he looks to pass lacks confidence and then holds onto it and runs sideways instead. I could be wrong but a lot of his lines look erratic and there’s no way he ends up getting tackled the part of the field the team wanted him to.

He needs to do less.

Totally agree, I've been saying that for years. I've never wavered that he is a prop. Problem i guess with both him and Payne is they both have been the only ones who have been effective, so i get why they both do it. We have relied on both too much but i think now we have the forwards to take that pressure away from them. I think Payne has the same issues in terms of him trying to be involved. Its probably something that will take a little time to get out of their games.

Kevvie now has no need to play anyone big minutes yet he still does. He's been better, but i think even last night Payne only had a 10 min break. Just because they can do it, doesnt mean they should do it.

Great effort from the boys last night. Better ruck speed , better running game . Just some lapses in defense at crucial times saw us leak points. We were just unlucky , however this is the consistency they need to bring every game to be competitive. Some more off loads up the middle with a quick in support and Reynolds gets our running game going . The turning point for me was Nui not heeding that offside call. I'd like to see Cobbo at FB also . Good meters were made last night , and that's the key to applying pressure. The Rorters won but we were the better team .

I have to say that the Rorters were very sloppy last night. Not winning a premiership playing like that. They kinda came down to our level a bit!

I know its a loss but im seeing small things every game across the playing group. I saw Niu talking behnd the defensive line and trying to organise where the numbers were.

Cobbo with a simply brilliant kick return from our in-goal area that turned a line drop out into 6 tackles for us.

Staggs showing his strength. Hes now really levergaing the extra kg's he added during the off-season.

Im seeing Hass starting to pass a bit more, a few extra offloads..

After 26 rounds, those little things can add up to a hell of a lot.

But yeh, if you want proof of how badly a team needs a NRL standard spine this was it.

If Tesi cant bring it all together at 1 it seems to me the obvious choice is to roll out the welcome wagon for Walsh.

Palasia is a bit of a gun at prop, I hope we re-sign him ASAP and long term on a good deal. 1m x 3 years sounds great to me.
He fits the mould of the quiet achiever who does his job and does not ask a King's ransom for doing it. He also manages to slip under the media spotlight which keeps his penalty count down to a manageable margin.

Damn, Niu is absolutely copping it on here. I didn't think he was half as bad as people are making out. Obviously desperately needs to work on his 1 on 1 tackling and his work under high balls, but his attack is coming along. From a pure statistical standpoint he was great:

17 runs, 200 metres, 10 tackle busts, 2 line-break assists, 1 try assist, 0 errors.

The defense is a major issue however, if he can't get that sorted over the next couple of weeks we'll have to consider an alternative, but I'm still willing to give him a little bit more time than most of you it seems.

Staggs & Cobbo were great tonight, about time they stood up.

Game came down to a few crucial errors in judgement, we were the better side for 80% of the game tonight, you simply have to win footy games when that's happening. Can't let these good performances still end up in the loss column.
Not sure if you guys ever saw that Anthony seibold analysis on Nrl.com about “getting on his kelpie dog” or whatever and getting into position at fullback. But every time I watch Niu play I think of it and think he doesn’t do it. You watch Tedesco or papi make a tackle near the try line and the. They are sprinting to other side of the field following the ball. Niu doesn’t do that and he needs to.

ball in hand, he was good. But under bomb and in defence he has a lot of work to do.

Thing i didnt like from Locky after the game was him basically telling the rest of the comp how to shut down Kotoni. He basically said he was a one trick pony and just jamming up on him shuts him down, he needs to add more to his game and being passive in defence like the Rorters plays into his hands. Its probably true, but you dont want a club legend and current board member saying that in public imo.
I don't think other teams coaching staff are tuning into 9 to listen to what Locky has to say. It's not exactly a secret on ways to best defend Staggs.
If we can back it up we have a chance.

I think we have to abandon the Tesi at fullback experiment now. Either play Herbie, or tough it out with Cobbo there.

And just on Corey, he has been the player of the season so far. He has played with heart and guts. I think its his last year here probably and its going to be sad to see him go.
We 100% need to resign him. We would get him for unders at what other clubs will be willing to pay, would be insanity to not resign him.
100%

They're not there to make meters... their number one priority is defence and run their lines to give the backline an option.

The BS talk from Parker that they need to be more involved is garbage... Capewell came up with some big plays defensively tonight, that's his role in the team.

He's also just a natural footy player, so he will have his time where the ball will just bounce for him, because he ends up around the footy... those kinds of players are gold. Kobe is another who just ends up around the ball.

One thing I would like to see is us kicking for Riki on those cross field kicks inside the 20m... he's pretty athletic for a tall second rower so he could absolutely be an attacking option for us inside the 20m instead of stock standard kicking to Cobbo and hoping for the best.

We do need to get ourselves in order before we start expanding into that sort of area... walk before you run and all that
We should be kicking for Riki, especially when it's a bloke like Tupou on the wing. Kick short and target Riki, similar to what Penrith do.
Palasia is a bit of a gun at prop, I hope we re-sign him ASAP and long term on a good deal. 1m x 3 years sounds great to me.
He has been the most improved this year. Strong carries, solid in defence and has shown some good ball playing. I like him.

I don't think other teams coaching staff are tuning into 9 to listen to what Locky has to say. It's not exactly a secret on ways to best defend Staggs.

We 100% need to resign him. We would get him for unders at what other clubs will be willing to pay, would be insanity to not resign him.

We should be kicking for Riki, especially when it's a bloke like Tupou on the wing. Kick short and target Riki, similar to what Penrith do.

He has been the most improved this year. Strong carries, solid in defence and has shown some good ball playing. I like him.

Thats not what i'm saying with Locky. I dont think a current Broncos board member should be saying that sort of thing on TV about a current player.

Would I be out of line to suggest that we actually tend to look better without Patty? Does he have a tendency to try and be too involved. We seem to end up with him and Haas having a stat contest and never see any ball movement.
would be better to stagger there mins when they play together

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • eazy-duzzit
  • porouian
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • whykickamoocow
  • Waynesaurus
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.