Round 5 - Broncos vs Eels - Post-Game Discussion

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah because Corey Parker doesn't do any of that...

Parker
Round 1: 18 runs 35 tackles
Round 2: 13 runs 42 tackles
Round 3: 16 runs 31 tackles
Round 4: 14 runs 31 tackles
Round 5: 12 runs 31 tackles

Fensom:
Round 1: 14 runs 42 tackles
Round 2: 20 runs 52 tackles
Round 5: 20 runs 57 tackles

Apart from round 1, its a reasonably big difference and proof that maybe parker at prop isnt getting the best of him. He was pushing nearly the same numbers as fensom last year but doesnt seem to be as effective this year. Sure, the 7 mins or so he sits on the sideline doesnt help, but really, do we want Parker at prop for the rest of the year?

Dont get me wrong, parker is awesome and i wouldnt swap him for fensom. I just dont think prop is where he should be playing. His offload has suffered bit (up til this week anyway) and he doesnt seem to be getting through the work he used to. He is a workhorse like fensom and as such should be at lock where all the great workhoses should be.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I'm used to that kind of dribble from AP, but I guess it was only a matter of time until his brother got "infected"... :rolleyes:

Please tell me how Gillett's defense has been horrible, except for that one moment against the Roosters?

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm used to that kind of dribble from AP, but I guess it was only a matter of time until his brother got "infected"... :rolleyes:

Please tell me how Gillett's defense has been horrible, except for that one moment against the Roosters?

He is just missing too many, or dropping off too many, for him to be our current lock. The lock position is usually reserved for the hardworking tacklers of the team, such as fensom, merrin, gallen, johnson, luck etc. I feel like we have weakened 2 positions (lock and prop) to move gillett and parker around. Gillett is a much better fit for 2rf and parker, on his day, is the best lock in the comp

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Parker
Round 1: 18 runs 35 tackles
Round 2: 13 runs 42 tackles
Round 3: 16 runs 31 tackles
Round 4: 14 runs 31 tackles
Round 5: 12 runs 31 tackles

Fensom:
Round 1: 14 runs 42 tackles
Round 2: 20 runs 52 tackles
Round 5: 20 runs 57 tackles

Apart from round 1, its a reasonably big difference and proof that maybe parker at prop isnt getting the best of him. He was pushing nearly the same numbers as fensom last year but doesnt seem to be as effective this year. Sure, the 7 mins or so he sits on the sideline doesnt help, but really, do we want Parker at prop for the rest of the year?

Dont get me wrong, parker is awesome and i wouldnt swap him for fensom. I just dont think prop is where he should be playing. His offload has suffered bit (up til this week anyway) and he doesnt seem to be getting through the work he used to. He is a workhorse like fensom and as such should be at lock where all the great workhoses should be.

Oh right stats, because that's what makes great players.

I have no idea why people talk about Lockyer as a future immortal, I mean god did you ever have in supercoach? fucking passenger...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I can't remember how it works in defence, but Gillett definitely isn't playing lock in attack. Anyone remember if Gillett mostly defends in the middle of the field?

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Oh right stats, because that's what makes great players.

I have no idea why people talk about Lockyer as a future immortal, I mean god did you ever have in supercoach? fucking passenger...

When talking about the amount of work a player gets through, tackles and hitups are pretty freaking handy to have. Apart from opinion its all anyone can use to argue a point, so why the hell wouldnt we use them

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Gillett defends mostly on the inside of Hunt while Thaiday roves around a fair bit and takes up the post when Gillett is off IIRC.

Safe to say that comparing Gillett to Fensom is a tad off base and a disservice to both players. Both are remarkable players but in the current composition of the Broncos pack I would much rather a player like Gillett who's got the job of being explosive and creating opportunities with nothing but his sheer determination and skill.

I agree Queenslander that I would much rather see Parker at lock, with Thaiday right, Gillett left with Glenn on the bench to provide impact. I would start with either Kennedy or Hannant, preferably Kennedy as his value is in absorbing those opening minutes. However, the game has seemingly changed and I'm like a lot of others are still trying to adapt to it so right now, the more mobile pack maybe the way to go.

On the topic of statistics, while they can be handy indicators they cannot be used as a sole point of reference since there are so many variables to them. For instance, I recall the media being absolutely flabbergasted that the Sharks couldn't win off the back of Gallen's numbers even when it was clear Gallen was acquiring those numbers at the expense of his teams performance.

Last edited:
QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Gillett defends mostly on the inside of Hunt while Thaiday roves around a fair bit and takes up the post when Gillett is off IIRC.

Safe to say that comparing Gillett to Fensom is a tad off base and a disservice to both players. Both are remarkable players but in the current composition of the Broncos pack I would much rather a player like Gillett who's got the job of being explosive and creating opportunities with nothing but his sheer determination and skill.

I agree Queenslander that I would much rather see Parker at lock, with Thaiday right, Gillett left with Glenn on the bench to provide impact. I would start with either Kennedy or Hannant, preferably Kennedy as his value is in absorbing those opening minutes. However, the game has seemingly changed and I'm like a lot of others are still trying to adapt to it so right now, the more mobile pack maybe the way to go.

Yup. That would be much better.

Im not attacking parker or gillett, im just saying i think parker is being used incorrectly. Last year he was without doubt the best lock in the game, but hes just not having the same impact on a game now hes at prop for a lot of the game.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I am still filthy about this game. What disappoints me is that it was heritage round and we turn in a lazy, uninspired performance like that. That jersey was worn by players who sweated blood for the Brisbane Broncos in an era where we won everything but the kitchen sink. It was the first jersey I ever bought years ago back in '98. To have it sullied like that is a disgrace.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
well most people have been criticising his offloads which was warranted in the first two rounds where he didn't do any. but now he has by far and away the most. as for his running game. he is making less hit ups not because he has a different number on his back but because he play first receiver a lot and in general more ball playing to take the pressure off hunt. the tackling i haven't worked out because defensively he is in exactly the same position. i believe it has more to do with the dynamics of the team changing.

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.