vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall & Mead out of the 21, which leaves Fai & Nikorima.

I find that moderately interesting, usually if we're just going through the motions we'll cut players 20 & 21, not the case this week.

Was interesting hearing Wayne stand up for the size of our forward pack today when questioned about handling the big dogs pack. He made a point of saying that we have several boys over 110kgs and that we aren't by any means a small pack. I wonder if one of his aims this year was to have a bigger pack after having one of the smaller packs in precious years.

Marshall & Mead out of the 21, which leaves Fai & Nikorima.

I find that moderately interesting, usually if we're just going through the motions we'll cut players 20 & 21, not the case this week.
Fai most likely to cover blairs corked leg and nickorima I've heard is likely to be added to the 17 in two weeks against the titans or the round after providing his shoulder continues to hold up.

Fai most likely to cover blairs corked leg and nickorima I've heard is likely to be added to the 17 in two weeks against the titans or the round after providing his shoulder continues to hold up.
Who is nickorima

Herman Ese’ese faces old club rejuvenated in body and mind

BULLDOGS discard Herman Ese’ese has revealed how he overcame money troubles and blowing out to 128kg to become the Broncos’ No. 1 metre-eating prop.

Ese’ese will confront his turbulent past on Thursday night when the hulking prop faces his former teammates in tonight’s Broncos-Bulldogs showdown at ANZ Stadium.

There are few better redemption stories than Ese’ese. Two years ago, the quietly-spoken Samoan was so emotionally broken and financially stressed he quit the Bulldogs to find happiness by reuniting with family in Brisbane.

At his lowest ebb, Ese’ese ballooned to 128kg. He stopped training and gorged on junk food, convinced the NRL career he so desperately craved had evaporated.

On Thursday, the 22-year-old visits his former club rejuvenated in body and mind. He has shed 20kg and is in the best shape of his career to take on a monster Bulldogs pack as Brisbane’s most prolific metre-gaining forward.

Despite averaging only 35 minutes off the bench in four games, Ese’ese has amassed 448 metres to outperform starting props Adam Blair (388m) and Korbin Sims (336m).

Ese’ese on Wednesday opened up about his nightmare at the Bulldogs and the $20,000 lifeline from Souths Logan that paved the way for his second coming at the Broncos.

“The Bulldogs were a good club, but life in Sydney was just too much for me,” he said.

“I just lost my way. I was on a small wage at the Bulldogs and it was tough to get by. I couldn’t even pay the rent some weeks.

“I never wanted to quit the game totally. I love rugby league and I just felt if I could come home to Brisbane, I might be able to start again.

“I’m really grateful to Souths Logan and the Broncos for giving me a chance. At one stage, I was 128kg. I was eating anything and not focusing on my career, but I’ve knuckled down now and I’m really enjoying my football again.’’

Amid the big names in Brisbane’s pack, Ese’ese is a shy, unassuming, quiet achiever starting to make noises with his explosive bursts off the interchange bench.

Good judges at the Broncos rate Ese’ese one of the most gifted young props in the code.

He was first picked up by Noel Cleal, the former Bulldogs scout and NSW and Test back-rower. At 108kg, Ese’ese is not only big, but also quick and skilful. He can play before the line or use the ball in traffic.

In the Intrust Super Cup last season, he regularly charged for more than 200 metres a game. His ability to free his arms and offload is reminiscent of Broncos veteran Corey Parker.

“He is Brisbane’s bargain buy,” said manager Simon Mammino, who invited Ese’ese into his home and provided a bed to sleep in when he quit the Bulldogs.

“He would have stayed at the Bulldogs, but life in Sydney was just too expensive for him.

“The Bulldogs were very good in allowing him to come back (to Brisbane). Raelene Castle (Bulldogs CEO) was great in understanding his welfare issues.

“There was no motive for wanting out. The Broncos weren’t in the picture at the time, but he just wanted to come home and get his life in order.

“He worked as a furniture removalist to appreciate what he had with football.

“Herman is one of the best young front-row talents I have seen. He has some work to do, no doubt, but talent-wise he ticks a lot of boxes.

“His next challenge is consistency week-to-week and getting a starting spot.

“The Broncos have been great for him. He’s got his love for rugby league back.’’

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett praised Ese’ese’s contributions from the bench.

“He’s coming on when everyone else is getting tired,” he said. “He’s doing the job we want him to do and that’s what he’s there for.

“I’m really happy with what he’s doing. He’s been tremendous.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/bf4950732f5abf6a81714b244a6690e0

Des' biggest problem is that he is still using the same attacking style that they used 5 years ago and every team in the comp is now aware of it now so they know how to stop it
Well he is still caught in a time warp. Still got the seventies hair do.

I don't think the issue is their style of play.

When they are in form they are just about unstoppable. They are world beaters.

I think the issue is the personnel. They don't have the side to pull it off consistently.

They need to start making some changes to their squad.

I don't think the issue is their style of play.

When they are in form they are just about unstoppable. They are world beaters.

I think the issue is the personnel. They don't have the side to pull it off consistently.

They need to start making some changes to their squad.

I think it is to an extent, they rely too much on their forwards to ball play. Yeah it's great when they're on fire and pull it off....but it seems to be their go to play, there doesn't appear to be a plan B. It's a great trick shot, but that's all it is. They need another genuine half instead of Reynolds and a game plan that accommodates that.

The Dogs should go with something like this next season:

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hopoate
5. Montoya
6. Mbye
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Reynolds
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. Tolman

14. Lichaa
15. Kasiano
16. Eastwood
17. Anyone

Des' biggest problem is that he is still using the same attacking style that they used 5 years ago and every team in the comp is now aware of it now so they know how to stop it

What about our attacking style?

What a random Fullback.. @Sproj

Do you think Gerard Beale is good? I'd prefer to have Hopoate or B.Moz at Fullback I think..

Broncos’ Korbin Sims expecting a battle against Des Hasler’s under-siege Bulldogs

BRONCOS hit-man Korbin Sims is ready to fight fire with fire when Brisbane battles Des Hasler’s under-siege Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Sims has emerged as the Broncos’ new enforcer alongside Adam Blair, bringing a brutal edge to coach Wayne Bennett’s classy forward pack.

The 108kg prop is not the biggest man in Brisbane’s engine room, but in four games since joining the Broncos from Newcastle he has shown he is prepared to put his body on the line with bone-crunching tackles.

Sims and Blair will set the tone for the Broncos against a struggling Canterbury side fighting to save the career of under-pressure coach Hasler and it is a battle they are primed for.

“We will be ready for them,” Sims said.

“It doesn’t get any easier going from Canberra to the Bulldogs. They are always a big pack.

“They haven’t had a great start to the season. They’re coming off a bad weekend (36-0 loss to Manly). We’re expecting them to fire.

“We will sort ourselves out and handle them as best we can.”

Blair, 31, joined the Broncos in 2015 following three turbulent seasons at Wests Tigers where he failed to reach the heights of his career in Melbourne. He was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole at Leichhardt Oval. It just didn’t work.

Bennett snared his signature upon returning to Red Hill and thrust him into the front row alongside another backrow convert — Sam Thaiday.

The “Fro Bros” led the Broncos to the 2015 NRL grand final, falling just seconds short of Brisbane’s seventh premiership in a thrilling loss to the Cowboys.

Blair was reborn as a front row forward. He brought a stinging edge to Brisbane’s defence and has been complemented by the arrival of Sims this year.

“Adam’s been part of this club for a few years now and I’ve been fortunate enough to line up alongside him,” Sims said.

“He’s done a lot for the game. He’s a Test player and that’s the people you want to learn off.

“Our aggressive style is always handy. It’s good knowing who you are playing with will have your back out there.”

Blair and Sims will rarely post statistically impressive performances. It’s not how they play and Bennett isn’t fazed by their numbers.

He wants them to bring a hard edge to Brisbane’s starting pack which has class in Matt Gillett and a noted metre-eater in Josh McGuire. It is a role that suits them, but Blair is adamant the duo is yet to find their best form.

“I’ve been working really hard and every game you get fitter and fitter,” said Blair, who is expected to overcome a calf complaint to face the Bulldogs.

“I’m happy with how I’m going but I know I’ve still got a lot to work on. We can do better. We’re leaders in our own right with getting the team forward.

“We’ve started pretty well but we’re learning and getting better. We need to keep taking those steps forward.”

Sims, 25, has adapted to life at the Broncos and a permanent starting spot in the front row. With 80 NRL appearances next to his name, Sims knows the time has arrived for him to reach his potential.

“I am comfortable in this side now,” he said. “I’ve been here for a few months now. I’m really enjoying being around the boys.

“We’re getting a couple of wins under our belt and looking good. We’ve got one of the best defensive teams in the game at the moment. We’ve been peppered a lot and we’ve held out good sides.

“It’s looking positive for us going forward.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/6b503caedd11f2a3badca27c8486e82b

He must be so much happier playing in a team that is competitive every week and actually wins more than once or twice a season...

No wonder he was happy to take a pay cut. If he keeps performing well money will come, but job satisfaction plays a part in any career and surely he'd have that with us...

What a random Fullback.. @Sproj

Do you think Gerard Beale is good? I'd prefer to have Hopoate or B.Moz at Fullback I think..

I don't really think he's good but he'd be gettable, plus Hopoate and Morris are even worse at fullback. Hopoate has been such a flop since his return from two years out. And given they would need to pay some money to get Foran and Woods, they need to save somewhere.

I don't really think he's good but he'd be gettable, plus Hopoate and Morris are even worse at fullback. Hopoate has been such a flop since his return from two years out. And given they would need to pay some money to get Foran and Woods, they need to save somewhere.

He was our fullback in 2011 and did the job well IMO. I'll get chastised for this but Beale isn't that far behind Kahu. Capable centre, great finisher, but best position is fullback.

Morris has all the tools to be an excellent fullback, but for some reason he just sucks there. It's the exception - normally, a decent winger will look like a world-beater at fullback just because of the extra room to move, but it's not the case with BMoz. It's not even just because he has no passing game, I just think he is super quick and an excellent finisher, but without the sideline as a reference he doesn't know where to run or how to spot gaps or support up the middle.

I'm hoping we at least score some points tonight and actually look to be positive with the ball, I don't want to go through the crapfest like last week again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.