Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos

I dunno that midfield bomb that went 5 yards forward was food for thought.
I thought the brilliant kicker Reynolds had a shank too. Reynolds kicked it dead ON THE FIRST TACKLE 5 minutes into the match!! Just like the first half the second is the same, 5 minutes in and he follows that up with a bomb from on top of our 40mtre line that goes 9 metres forward and it's played at by a Rabbitoh who was offside, total shank.

So, a bad kick means everything? What about two absolute clangers like Reynolds had tonight???

I thought the brilliant kicker Reynolds had a shank too. Reynolds kicked it dead ON THE FIRST TACKLE 5 minutes into the match!! Just like the first half the second is the same, 5 minutes in and he follows that up with a bomb from on top of our 40mtre line that goes 9 metres forward and it's played at by a Rabbitoh who was offside, total shank.

So, a bad kick means everything? What about two absolute clangers like Reynolds had tonight???
Mate someone mentioned Flanagan the other day, I even tagged you in it. What happened?

How do we get rid of flegler to whoever signed off on that deal is stupid

When did we sack Matterson and Cartwright? Surely these guys should be pointing out to Kevvie that his bench rotation is way beyond clueless and get it sorted. So many things that go wrong are partly down to our own ineptitude.

Milf looked pissed off in the sheds, I hope he stops and thinks how the rest of us feel when he puts in a shoddy effort yet again.

This team is so full of doubt and anxiety it’s getting so bad that by the time we finish playing the next two weeks some of our kids will need serious psychiatric help.

Yeah, Croft showed a quality kicking game when he came on
When the game was over and you critique that one kick..should have been given a chance when the game was in the balance at least.
The kid kept dropping the ball and being run over by Mitchell...not to mention the Riki hospital passes.
We would not hear the end of it if Croft had done the same.

When did we sack Matterson and Cartwright? Surely these guys should be pointing out to Kevvie that his bench rotation is way beyond clueless and get it sorted. So many things that go wrong are partly down to our own ineptitude.

Milf looked pissed off in the sheds, I hope he stops and thinks how the rest of us feel when he puts in a shoddy effort yet again.

This team is so full of doubt and anxiety it’s getting so bad that by the time we finish playing the next two weeks some of our kids will need serious psychiatric help.

Yeah where are they? Maybe I'm missing them on tv, are they down there with Kev?

Yeah where are they? Maybe I'm missing them on tv, are they down there with Kev?

Maybe they walked out as soon as they realized they were dealing with a squad of mentally weak spuds.

It matters when they are your only kicks... Reynolds kicks well week in week out. Jamayne never does. That is the difference...

Tbf to Milf, he should look at what Benji did. His form plummeted pretty badly after his union escapade but he reinvented himself, not to the level he was but still a good player. Depends on his desire really If he wants to do it.
But does he bring a skill set that Benji does?

I think Benji was a little on the way out when he went to union, so it was a bit of a retirement party, but then he couldn't crack it and realised he needed to do something. But he still had a bullet cut-out ball and ability to play a short ball. He also developed a short kicking game in his first stint at NRL. He basically just had to add a long kicking game and then he went beyond that and added some big torp bombs.

When he came back he had failed at union and was nearing 30 (if not over it) so he could go to a team on a near minimum contract and slot in.

I just don't think Milf should be allowed to go from $1m to $100k and slot into a storm, rorters, souths, etc. but a well well oiled machine like that is probably what he needs. Would he have the motivation to get up to their speed though... those teams are high octane in attack and defence.

A team like the knights could also be handy for him, given Pearce runs the show at halfback and they've struggled for a 6... Ponga is also a premier attacking fullback.... But he seems pretty limited in how he organises his edge in attack and doesn't seem to have that ball playing to put Glenn away (although he is next to useless at breaking a tackle nowadays) or have the variation in his running game anymore.

Oh I saw it and knew that at least one person is aware that a gf winning coach with recent form is available in '22. Flanagan will be a topic for another day.
my man

I knew they were in trouble as soon as they walked out the dressing rooms. The players just looked really socially awkward like they were marching into a funeral and didn't want to disturb anyone. From the opening set of six, the defence was loose and Souths easily made 60 odd metres and immediately put them under the pump.

It was the wrong option, but I could see the thought process behind Turpin's early kick. Turn them around, bash them in defence and pick up the pieces when you have the ball. It was the right attitude, wrong time and it's the wrong team. Brisbane aren't going to win with their defence, they need points on the board to have some confidence. As it played out, the defence just sat back and allowed Su'A to run 15 odd metres and then Cook from dummy half puts them in position for Marshall to score. Then later on Riki does the right thing and puts pressure on but Dearden doesn't push up with them creating the space out-wide for Johnston to score.

I got to give some credit to Dearden how he responded. He got out of his shell, forced that mistake and got the team to finally wake up. It was short lived and unfortunately he threw a forward pass at a critical time but that's a moment he can build his career around more of that.

As always I was very impressed with Haas. Some fantastic carries from him and that effort in the lead up to the Marshall try was once again very good. The stats won't do him justice, but I also thought Mead was very good working it out of the Broncos half. He reminds me so much of Corey Thompson and how despite being small he just gets those Barney Rubble legs pumping and makes those really tough metres. Also saw him putting in extras like kick pressure and the like which is the areas the Broncos are really lacking in. He's one of the few shining lights so far for Kev.

I have to agree with you theshed, there was a period at 6-18 where the Broncos really needed Pangai on the field to spark the team. He was a weapon they could have used and instead they're trying to break the line with Flegler, Te'o and Asiata it just wasn't going to happen.

I'm also glad you highlighted Coates' stats UB. Outside of the defence one of my biggest problems right now is their 'get out' sets. The only player who seems capable of making decent metres is Mead, the rest are constantly losing the tackle or they're not working for every metre. If you watch Isaako one of my pet peeves with him is his assistance to run it towards the middle even when he's running sideways on his own goalline. That's U/20s stuff, he needs to take the space available, get the defence retreating and make it easier for the next carry.

I thought Riki came up with some nice efforts, but he was really doing it tough tonight. I noticed on the Benji try he didn't bother to push over, he runs too upright which makes it easy for the defence and there were just a few times where he didn't offer Dearden a line. That's a real problem and I can't believe with a player like Milford nobody bothers to stay alive for him. He rarely gets a good play the ball to work off of, so a lot of his game is now based on his second phase and nobody is there so he just dies with it.

I've been really disappointed in their last two weeks. These results weren't unexpected but I saw them as the type of games where they could lose but graciously and actually take some confidence and pride out of their performances. In both games, they did their best to lose it in the opening 10 minutes. Melbourne even gave them a 6-0 headstart and they couldn't do anything with it. I know the COVID situation didn't help and a lot of the mistakes they're making are just detail areas.

It's not beyond them either as they showed after 10-0 and they actually started coming out of the line and getting numbers in the tackle.

It matters when they are your only kicks... Reynolds kicks well week in week out. Jamayne never does. That is the difference...
Sure sure. When a single kick is offered as evidence I will point out the folly that is considering single kicks, or even multiple dreadful kicks like Reynolds did tonight in isolation. Jamayne kicks very well in truth.

Oh I saw it and knew that at least one person is aware that a gf winning coach with recent form is available in '22. Flanagan will be a topic for another day.
I’d be all over Flanagan, hard nut with a tactical nous for the modern game. I hate the sharks but I loved how they played when he was head coach.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.