PRE-GAME [Round 6, 2022] Panthers vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 runs in 20mins for 15m, when Turpin ran for 44m from 4 runs and made 15 more tackles. I understand the Turpin hate, but pretty dumb to do it now.

To be fair I think Turpin probably had his best game of the year, but I still think Paix just brings better overall service and creates more doubt in the defense, giving his forwards more space to work and getting a better roll on. Paix did throw one or two ordinary passes, though, one to Reyno on the last that almost sailed over his head stuck out. We just know by now Turpin's ceiling, and it's not very high. What's the harm in giving Paix an extended shot?

Wouldn't want to make too many changes after that, honestly, and wouldn't argue if pretty much the same team was named but at some point I'd like to see:

1 Herbie
6 Walters
7 Reynolds
9 Paix
14 Gamble

Gamble into six while Billy spells Paix, and play it by ear when/if it's, time for him to come back on.

Absolutely no need to change that team, though Haas will be suspended for reasons. Will be good to get some of the injured blokes back but won't be for a while for most.

2 runs in 20mins for 15m, when Turpin ran for 44m from 4 runs and made 15 more tackles. I understand the Turpin hate, but pretty dumb to do it now.
I agree Turpin improved tonight but you’re just being fucken stupid with the 15 more tackles. Paix played 26 less minutes than Turpin, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he would have less tackles. And by no means based off minutes is that an indication of performances. Plus Turpin’s defence was never what’s in question. At the end of the day it’s service and quite frankly still to this day it is dreadful like new level dreadful. Really the only category he beat Paix in was missed tackles (yet again not the element of his game in question) and run metres but really 2 runs isn’t a great sample size. Really if anything Turpin had good defence and had 4 good runs (probably not even that many he had one run where he easily got 20+ metres). But you know what at the end of the day he improved and that’s all you can ask but don’t think for a second that he actually played what I would consider well. It was bang average. I’m not usually that critical of players either nor am I insanely against Turpin.

To be fair I think Turpin probably had his best game of the year, but I still think Paix just brings better overall service and creates more doubt in the defense, giving his forwards more space to work and getting a better roll on. Paix did throw one or two ordinary passes, though, one to Reyno on the last that almost sailed over his head stuck out. We just know by now Turpin's ceiling, and it's not very high. What's the harm in giving Paix an extended shot?

Wouldn't want to make too many changes after that, honestly, and wouldn't argue if pretty much the same team was named but at some point I'd like to see:

1 Herbie
6 Walters
7 Reynolds
9 Paix
14 Gamble

Gamble into six while Billy spells Paix, and play it by ear when/if it's, time for him to come back on.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Whoever you pick to play 6 stays their for 80 bar injury or getting hooked because of performance. Never ever ever ever do you do something as stupid as that. Gamble if you want him to play lock and cover some positions from the bench fine. But if he ain’t starting he doesn’t get a look in at that 6 jersey other than unfortunate circumstances. I will never be more stern on a bench rotation in my life than something such as that. Never.

When's the last time Penrith lost a game?

I probably would go an unchanged side with the hope Haas is still fit. Reality is their is no ideal replacement for Niu as much as we/you all want to push this Farnworth thing but it had to be done in the preseason not now cause structurally he will be no better defensively.

Hopefully next week we can back it up and ambush the panthers at their home as I think their will be a little bit of burn and desire come from this loss. Just need to be disciplined, hardworking, energetic and switched on but if we have learnt anything about this footy team that might be a bit to much to ask especially against a quality side like Panthers. In saying that I think we have been one of the best sides to take on the riff in the past 2 years we have been relatively successful in all attempts however with no outcome but very few teams have won against them and we have come close a few times.

I didn't realise he was injured. Even so, he'd probably show more desperation in defence.
He also wouldn't be able to over run the play and run himself offside.

You guys who keep saying this realise he’s passed the ball right and then kept running in support? He mistimed it sure but he was there and with how fast it all happened, it’s not like he could have run backwards to get back behind the ball but he was there, it was actually pretty instinctive.

He’s a kid man, he’s going to make mistakes, after a much improved performance on previous rounds, let’s get behind him. If he still sucks in a couple of weeks or even next week reverts back to previous form, by all means go for it but last night he was decent.

1 Herbie
6 Walters
7 Reynolds
9 Paix
14 Gamble

Our spine is already bad enough, now you want to change it mid game? No thanks. Whoever our 9 is, if they aren't capable of 80, the person wearing 14 needs to be the one to cover that position.

I believe the harm in giving Paix an extended shot, is he isn't our best 9. Just because Turpin has a low ceiling, doesn't mean we pick someone else just for the sake of it. Turpin/Paix combo is our best option.
I agree Turpin improved tonight but you’re just being fucken stupid with the 15 more tackles. Paix played 26 less minutes than Turpin, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he would have less tackles. And by no means based off minutes is that an indication of performances. Plus Turpin’s defence was never what’s in question. At the end of the day it’s service and quite frankly still to this day it is dreadful like new level dreadful. Really the only category he beat Paix in was missed tackles (yet again not the element of his game in question) and run metres but really 2 runs isn’t a great sample size. Really if anything Turpin had good defence and had 4 good runs (probably not even that many he had one run where he easily got 20+ metres). But you know what at the end of the day he improved and that’s all you can ask but don’t think for a second that he actually played what I would consider well. It was bang average. I’m not usually that critical of players either nor am I insanely against Turpin.
I was using it comparing it to their runs. I wasn't using it to diminish Paix defence. The biggest plus to Paix is his running, and he hasn't been showing that in QC, and he didn't show it last night. I don't know if this is being coached out of him, but he shouldn't be our starting 9.

Hey, at least Macca had the odd 40/20 and the big dummy for the odd barge over try in his game.

Turpin can’t even boast that…

When was the last time Macca got a barge over? It became a meme because it never worked

Turpin’s kicking game is there and he’s used it well at times, but with someone like Reynolds at 7 it’d take a brave man to choose to kick yourself

When was the last time Macca got a barge over? It became a meme because it never worked

Turpin’s kicking game is there and he’s used it well at times, but with someone like Reynolds at 7 it’d take a brave man to choose to kick yourself

Which is why I’d go with Gamble at 6. He would t be afraid to over call Reynolds if something was on and I think that would help protect Reynolds to an extent on fifth tackles. Defense just rush up on him every time because they know the 6 and 9 won’t kick ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.