POST GAME Round 6 - Knights vs Broncos

It's the fastest clocked this season, not of all time.

I suppose I haven't seen Addo-Carr in the open so far this season, nor Roberts obviously.

I just find it strange that the Broncos Twitter was saying he's the fastest man in the NRL when I think even he'd agree that he's not.

Am I the only one sceptical of that fact?

Like, sure, he looked fast.. but it wasn't even close to prime Jimmy the Jet imo..

My research show Roberts had a best speed clocked at 36.2, short of Coates. However, Ado-Carr was clocked last year at 37.1 which is a bit quicker than Coates the other night. But at those speeds, I guess those differences are negligible.

Roberts is lethal with his speed off the mark, as is Staggs and Farnworth which has a lot to do with how they run as much as how fast.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s much harder to see that top speed than it is to see acceleration in play. Opportunities are definitely less frequent. Though, with a decent fend, hopefully we’ll see a lot more out of Coates.

Acceleration, swerve, fend, step, those are for mine more damaging and desirable qualities than simply outright speed in a straight line. The ability to beat a defender is paramount both to get in the clear, and also to set up supports. We are lucky to have that in Farnworth and Staggs.

As for Darius, playing in a key attacking position ... c'mon Seibold, get real

It's not just no football this year, Dearden played against Easts 3/08 and got hurt playing 39 minutes, and that was a comeback game from Titans on 09/6- 6 minutes. He played a full game for Souths round one. One and a half games in 12 months.

Having said that I agree you need to do something so it's just if one and a half games in 12 months will cause more damage or help.
Is the NRL any closer to setting up scrimmage games to act as a reserve grade??

I agree except for one important point.
The fullbacks job is to organize the defense and scream out orders for players to cover areas that need covering.
Darius knew there was no left centre because he is supposed to be there and having known this he should have called players to move to the left to give the left side some support in his own absence. He left Oates and Milf (I think) hanging and they were hopelessly outnumbered.

This should not have happened as it was a penalty so the players had time to re-organize to cover Boyds absence from the left centre defensive position....
Yeah it was like he jumped into fullback but didn't let anyone know.

Realistically everyone should push out one, but there was no coordination in the team... dare I say it, but there was probably no talking to reorganize the defensive line

Coates has stride and field coverage, so if you calculate distance in time, then yeah he’s fast.

but he doesn’t look fast like JAC or Jet or even Dufty. All shorter guys, but they’re sprinters and can beat you with acceleration. Coates needs to get in the clear to out stride you

Coates has stride and field coverage, so if you calculate distance in time, then yeah he’s fast.

but he doesn’t look fast like JAC or Jet or even Dufty. All shorter guys, but they’re sprinters and can beat you with acceleration. Coates needs to get in the clear to out stride you

Sounds like a match made in Brisbane: Farnworth at centre, with Coates on the outside, and Fifita inside him.

So sad that Darius will keep Herbie on the wing. Tragic actually. A failure of coaching

Last edited:
Watching Oates give up on the play and letting the winger better the try scoring position really shows who he is, especially considering we were only 6-0 down. They are always joking around at the club about how lazy and how much of a complainer Corey is, yet are happy to pay him big money for a winger for multiple years.

giphy.gif

I think this is less on Oates and more on Darius which has been discussed here, with arguments for and against Darius. For mine, as a FB his job is tell players he is playing there, organise the defence and realise the bleeding obvious about what happens out wide when you are a man down. Instead, he chooses to defend as a prop 10 metres out. I mean he is the most experienced player we have. FFS

Anyway, my issues with Oates extend to his failure to finish the simple try he had handed to him on a plate. He sort of walked to the line instead of running hard like he used to, allowing him to be held up and not only that, having Isaako compound the dog's breakfast by giving away a penalty. We lost potentially 8 points when we rally needed them, and surrendered possession.

I don't blame Isaako for that, he tried to make up for Oates's incompetence. It's almost as if Oates was paying Seibold back for him shifting back to the wing - such a dumb move anyway, after all the hoo ha about moving him to his prefered position in the back row.

Last edited:
I think this is less on Oates and more on Darius which has been discussed here

I'm not talking about the poor defence that let the try in, I'm talking about Oates not at least attempting to stop the Knights player from running the ball closer to the goal posts once he's crossed the line. Once he sees that the try is going to be scored, Oates gives up and starts jogging and the Knights player runs the ball another 10m closer to the goal posts, ensuring that Ponga slots the goal and we go 6 behind instead of a possible 4. Darius is actually the only player who responds to the Knights player running it around closer to the goal posts.

For mine it's concerning that they are clocking off like that only 20 minutes into the match and while only down by 6. Even Haas just stands there watching the Knights player run it around towards the posts.

Giphy 1

Sounds like a match made in Brisbane: Farnworth at centre, with Coates on the outside, and Fifita inside him.

So sad that Darius will keep Herbie on the wing. Tragic actually. A failure of coaching
Too me it sure looks like we’ve found a replacement for Boyd, Herbie and staggs long term center partners

Last edited:
Too me it sure looks like we’ve found a replacement for Boyd, Herbie and staggs long term center partners

And maybe after a few seasons he could be our answer to Tedesco :happy: assuming Bird's body fails him which, sadly, I think it might, although I hope not

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the poor defence that let the try in, I'm talking about Oates not at least attempting to stop the Knights player from running the ball closer to the goal posts once he's crossed the line. Once he sees that the try is going to be scored, Oates gives up and starts jogging and the Knights player runs the ball another 10m closer to the goal posts, ensuring that Ponga slots the goal and we go 6 behind instead of a possible 4. Darius is actually the only player who responds to the Knights player running it around closer to the goal posts.

For mine it's concerning that they are clocking off like that only 20 minutes into the match and while only down by 6. Even Haas just stands there watching the Knights player run it around towards the posts.

View attachment 8229

Don't get me started on Darius. So yeah I am being harsh and unreasonable and I don't care. He was standing there watching and then the light bulb moment and he moves to cut down the distance. A bit late. He ought to have been standing back organising the defensive line as good FB's do, and covering the acres of grass out wide which the Knights were going to exploit without any doubts whatsoever.

Toovey is available, kevvie if we haven't burnt that bridge completely, maybe even Brad Thorn.

Otherwise green, mcgregor and pay all available. Hell, I'd take Griffin the way we going.

I'd hardly call that lot "top" coaches
Tooves maybe?
Kevvie, well the jury is out, but at least he bleeds maroon, and that would be a positive for the players

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Dexter
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  • Big Del
  • BrentTatesChin
  • Xzei
  • Gaz
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.