PRE-GAME Round 6 - Raiders vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Broncos haven’t been very good in day games in recent years. Being in Canberra as well it’s gonna be very tough.

That is literally the same backline that got us into the 8 last year and whom people believed underperformed due to bad coaching. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you blame Bennet for the current back line do you give him merit for the young forwards or the three young halves we have developing?
We don't have the best halves in the comp, that is true, but they are plenty good enough if we can hold onto a football, complete sets, and then defend across the park. We did so in 2015 and got to a grand final.
I'm not saying we can do that but there is a lot more potential in this side than is currently being shown, and just needs the leaders of the team to look at how we were beaten by the tigers to know how to unleash it .
That tigers team just kept showing up. We didn't. They had a lot less talent in just about every position barring the half, and he didn't exactly win the game on his own.
He just played his role whilst forwards gained the momentum and kept us deep in our own half. Even then it went down to the last two minutes, until a rookie frontrower missed a tackle that should never have been necessary to make.
Imagine if we showed that commitment.

I actually think the team as a whole tries really hard in defense and attack. But if the attack just disordered and uninspiring , it naturally sucks some enthusiasm and confidence from the defense . The forwards have got to believe their backs are capable of laying on some tries or at least getting the team down to the attacking zone . At the moment our backline is just clunky . Most of the time they just don't look that threatening. As for Milford , he can do good things but he can't direct a team . It is just not in him . And he really is not a good passer of the football , especially under pressure or fatigue. At least Knick can pass the ball , that's why I would keep him in the halves FTTB.

I would go so far as to guarantee we will not make the eight if Miford stays in the halves.

Does anyone know if Roberts will be playing this Sunday?

The sooner people stop trying to believe Milford needs to be the "next Lockyer" and win every single clutch moment, the sooner they'll not be as disappointed.

Milford is fine. Move Niko to #9 or Bench #9 and find a real half and we'll be just fine.

Niko is great, he just can't play together with Milford by himself. When Hunt was here and played in #9, Niko wasn't an issue as the spine had three attacking options. With Macca, we just have a tackler who occasionally hoofs a kick downfield.

If all roads lead to Milford, and an occasional dart from Niko because he's Alfie-sized tiny, we'll keep having the same discussion.

Niko is great, he just can't play together with Milford by himself. When Hunt was here and played in #9, Niko wasn't an issue as the spine had three attacking options. With Macca, we just have a tackler who occasionally hoofs a kick downfield.

Yeah............our 1 is not very attacking either, he can throw a final pass but doesn't really create anything.

Its a combination of a lot of things I think tho, no dominant half to guide the team around, no attacking options in the 1 or 9, limited offloading, poor handling/ball control, slow defensive line and inexperience leading to inconsistency with our young forwards.

An uninjured Roberts was/is our x-factor, we have missed him.

We really need Lodge to hold onto the ball in tackles . 3 drops in 1 game ? A 2nd year syndrome ?

I don't think it's 2nd year syndrome, outside of that match this season I think he has been one of the better performing players. Lets see how he backs up before we start proclaiming he is having 2nd year syndrome.

OMG, can we stop already with KNIK is better than Milford in the halves. No, he is NOT.
KNIK couldn't kick his way out of a paper bag - Milford is doing almost ALL of the kicking. The reason that KNIK has been able to run the ball and pass it with plenty of time is because the opposition ALL know that Milford is going to be the one making the kicks, that Macca isn't a threat at all, and therefore ALL of the defensive pressure is placed on Milford on the 4th and 5th tackles.

Get Milford a threat out of dummy half and a 7 that can kick the ball and all of a sudden he will be able to run the ball and make plays.

OMG, can we stop already with KNIK is better than Milford in the halves. No, he is NOT.
KNIK couldn't kick his way out of a paper bag - Milford is doing almost ALL of the kicking. The reason that KNIK has been able to run the ball and pass it with plenty of time is because the opposition ALL know that Milford is going to be the one making the kicks, that Macca isn't a threat at all, and therefore ALL of the defensive pressure is placed on Milford on the 4th and 5th tackles.

Get Milford a threat out of dummy half and a 7 that can kick the ball and all of a sudden he will be able to run the ball and make plays.

You gotta point, but Milfords passing game has been terrible. He finds the ground in set plays more than any half in the comp. Nikos passing has been crisp. Milfs kicking game is great considering that he does absorb all that pressure, if he had a second in play kicker for backup it would make our end of sets have some more variety.

I’ve got a good feeling! I think we are about to click.
Hey good to see the coach finally join the forums. Man we've got SOOO MANY ideas for you .

If you want to win the premiership, then try and form a censensus out of our bickering. Remember BroncosHQ is a collection of the greatest sporting minds this world will ever know.

Thought I’d focus on a Raiders preview seeing as our own troubles are well documented and covered!

Surprisingly, we have a decent record against Canberra in recent history. They haven’t beaten us since 2013 and we have won 3 in a row in the nation’s capital.
Yes Canberra have been impressive to start 2019 and the public is high on them and they are media darlings at the moment (complete opposite to us).... however we are a huge chance of beating them.

They have played 4 out of their 5 matches against bottom 8 teams from last season and this so called “best defense in the league” is a bit of a stretch tbh....In Round 1 you shouldn’t look into it too much - they faced a Titans side who lost both starting halves inside the first 5 minutes, torrential rain and the game got away from GC and it ended up a training run for 40 minutes. Then in the last 3 consecutive weeks they have watched their opponents produce a high error rate - knights (13), cowboys (14) and Eels (15) which makes it easier to defend; ie. more possession, less fatigued, etc.
The one high level team they did play (Melbourne), easily dispatched them and was dominant.

They are understandably, full of confidence, so we need to get off to a good start, force pressure early and I think we will see them struggle a little. I’m still unconvinced by their spine and think Nickoll-Klozstead has a few errors in him and Jack Wighton I don’t rate as a playmaker. I also think keeping Sezer on the pine in favour of Sam Williams is actually a downgrade for them.

We need to be enthusiastic, disciplined and desperate.

Our season is on the line.
Broncos by 10

Last edited:
You gotta point, but Milfords passing game has been terrible. He finds the ground in set plays more than any half in the comp. Nikos passing has been crisp. Milfs kicking game is great considering that he does absorb all that pressure, if he had a second in play kicker for backup it would make our end of sets have some more variety.

To be honest, I don't think Milford's ball playing has ever been particularly good. His strength was always running in the past, now all he does is kick really.

Last edited:
I don't think it's 2nd year syndrome, outside of that match this season I think he has been one of the better performing players. Lets see how he backs up before we start proclaiming he is having 2nd year syndrome.
Everyone has days when they are plainly unky. I know I do and I've seen Lockyer, GI and Meninga amongst others drop two passes or just play to a shit standard. I thought Lodge was great in the recent game, well great when he did what we've come to believe is his standard game. He's a fucking gem this lad and there'll be no need to worry about him.

On the game I expect a massive improvement in game management and as they say, cometh the hour cometh the man. If Milford tanks or it's a close game Boyd will come forward and take charge if he thinks Milford is failing to fire. I think our seniors know what's happening and what's needed and will really lift for this game. I think we will define our season here and win against the odds. **** Sticky, make him kick a chair or two.

Watched the Raiders dismantle the Eels last weekend. They bragged early on that they’d run the Eels ragged because the Eels weren’t fit. They basically exhausted the Eels and then capitalized on the errors that came.
It will be an epic Forwards Battle for the young Broncos Pack.

To be realistic, we hang onto the ball even at an average level , we are 3/5.
That is the bit that annoys me. Our problem isn't the halves, defence or game strategies, its simple ball skills and completing sets, then getting repeat sets to wear down our opponents. Hold onto the ball, let our forwards get the advantage and then feed off our forwards' second phase play and quick play-the-balls when our opponents tire.
When we wear our opponents down we can have a crack at the fancy stuff, and only then.
The rest of it like our long kicking game, or dummy half work is manageable if show some dicipline. I'd even put money on our kicking games improving and passing being a lot better if we're not constantly defending repeat sets.

I think it’s part of our problems, in that half the team doesn’t know what each other are doing and results in every one being flat-footed and the ball getting thrown around with no purpose.

Niko’s ball-playing is just a formality when the planets align and we have a 99/100 play present itself

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncoscope
  • Jazza
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Alec
  • barker
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • RodF
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.