PRE-GAME Round 6 - Raiders vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Once again I believe you're wrong, we had 29 at the deadline and then released Savelio after the deadline, there was no announcement about who replaced him in the top 30, meaning one of 2 things. Either we only have 28 players in the top 30 currently or we've added a 29th player to our top 30 without announcing it, meaning theoretically, Dearden could already be in our top 30.

wouldn't be the first time ...

There has definitely been no announcement of Dearden's promotion from the development squad to the top 30.

and i am pretty sure we need to have a minimum squad of 29.

outside of that who knows.

doesn't sound like Dearden is ready for the NRL yet anyway ... let alone, come into a struggling side and being expected to lead them to the holy land

Dearden is in our development squad ... pretty much meaning he can take the field only if all other halves in the top 30 were injured/suspended

That's if you don't add him to your 30. You can add players until June 30. If he stays development you can't play him freely until June 30.

Rule was changed this year.

There has definitely been no announcement of Dearden's promotion from the development squad to the top 30.

That's my entire point, there has been no announcement of any addition to the top 30, meaning either we only have 28, or we've added someone silently.

and i am pretty sure we need to have a minimum squad of 29.

Well that just sounds like a guess, I don't see any reason you'd be forced to have 29 until the June 30 deadline. Doesn't make much difference, either way we have no clue who #29 or #30 are / will be. Could easily be Dearden.

24 was due November 1
29 was due March 1
30 due 30 June

From Brisbane's 29 named on the 1st Savelio has dropped out. Dogs and Souths haven't got a spot open everyone else has.

Well that just sounds like a guess, I don't see any reason you'd be forced to have 29 until the June 30 deadline. Doesn't make much difference, either way we have no clue who #29 or #30 are / will be. Could easily be Dearden.

Could be to do with having to spend 95% of your cap. If they didn't mandate the 29 spots by a date clubs might fall short of the 30 leaving too many spots open.

we'd have 29 at a minimum (i don't think we can actually have less than that)

we had 29 then released McGuire and Kahu ... replacing them with Fensom and Perese.

I suspect the 30th spot will go to Dearden eventually. I also reckon we will see him in the NRL before the season is over.
Kennar replaced Kahu. I think Perese was always in the squad.

Dearden is in our development squad ... pretty much meaning he can take the field only if all other halves in the top 30 were injured/suspended

I was actually wrong about Dearden he isn't even in our development squad, which means that we would need to promote him into the top 30 squad before June 30 (if we haven't already), or there is no chance of him being permitted to play this season at all

Pretty sure he is top 30, there was an article earlier in the year saying they promoted him over Boyd and Paix. Plus he's the only young half with a profile on the site.

Last edited:
Milford must go from the halves. That is a given IMO. Seibold should ask Knick if he thinks he is up to steering this team around the paddock . If the answer is in the affirmative , then give him three weeks to show us what he can do at 7. If he does not want the job , then he goes to dummy half or the bench. Then we need to find a brand new set of halves from the young guys . Or , maybe give Boyd a run at 6 . At least have a look at him in a few training runs. The only place I could find for Milford would be fullback or bench. He could make a good dummy half if he could develop a decent passing game , which he has not done to date.
You can't blame Seibold for the clunky backline he inherited from Bennett , but he must start to modify things now , if only for next year .

Milford must go from the halves. That is a given IMO. Seibold should ask Knick if he thinks he is up to steering this team around the paddock . If the answer is in the affirmative , then give him three weeks to show us what he can do at 7. If he does not want the job , then he goes to dummy half or the bench. Then we need to find a brand new set of halves from the young guys . Or , maybe give Boyd a run at 6 . At least have a look at him in a few training runs. The only place I could find for Milford would be fullback or bench. He could make a good dummy half if he could develop a decent passing game , which he has not done to date.
You can't blame Seibold for the clunky backline he inherited from Bennett , but he must start to modify things now , if only for next year .

Milford needs to stay in the halves, he is the only having to try and be the organiser because the guy who is actually the halfback can't.

Nikorima should be playing bench hooker or maybe fullback, that is best for the team.

Boyd would not be any better at 6 than he is at fullback and definitely wouldn't help the team as a whole. He either needs to up his game a lot of the next couple of weeks or find himself a new position on the centre/wing or out of the team entirely.

That is literally the same backline that got us into the 8 last year and whom people believed underperformed due to bad coaching. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you blame Bennet for the current back line do you give him merit for the young forwards or the three young halves we have developing?
We don't have the best halves in the comp, that is true, but they are plenty good enough if we can hold onto a football, complete sets, and then defend across the park. We did so in 2015 and got to a grand final.
I'm not saying we can do that but there is a lot more potential in this side than is currently being shown, and just needs the leaders of the team to look at how we were beaten by the tigers to know how to unleash it .
That tigers team just kept showing up. We didn't. They had a lot less talent in just about every position barring the half, and he didn't exactly win the game on his own.
He just played his role whilst forwards gained the momentum and kept us deep in our own half. Even then it went down to the last two minutes, until a rookie frontrower missed a tackle that should never have been necessary to make.
Imagine if we showed that commitment.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we have now, right now enough troops to win the whole shebang. That written I am extremely doubtful we will or can be considered a real chance. I believe we have the talent and enough of the ingredients to win a title but potential is only a part of the story. The requirement is a winning mindset and we need to start winning consistently and if, a big if that started happening the questions surrounding our problems would all but disappear. McCullough CAN be good enough just like Boyd, Milf and Knik CAN be good enough.

I’ve got a good feeling! I think we are about to click.

I hope so but the raiders are on a roll t the moment. I am actually more worried about this game than any previous one this season except the roosters where I didn’t give us much chance.
We had better click this Sunday or it could be ugly.

We really need to get Haas and Lodge working over their halves.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.