POST GAME [Round 7, 2022] Broncos vs Bulldogs

Alright. Emotions are hard to keep in check. Especially when it's something close to home and at a tribalistic event like the footy.

I just don't think it's acceptable to say it was a good thing to happen, because it could have ended up a lot worse. And the question for me is; for what? A few idiotic blatherings at a stupid time?

It isn't like I don't think people should cop one on the chin, or haven't considered or even done similar shit, but I do regret that stance and I don't want it normalised nor made to be seen as appropriate for any young bloke at the footy, regardless of the circumstances.

The only time I might forgive it, is if he were assaulting someone physically himself, and then I would even prefer subdue, rather than bash.

Sorry, but it's just not a good idea to normalise punching someone for doing something disagreeable. We have police, security and laws for this, and if we're at the stage where society is producing that behaviour, well...
Fair enough. At the end of the day though, this joker - and others of his type - will now likely think twice before pulling this shit. Whereas prior, he may not have been quite so open to taking the lesson onboard.

Maybe I'm reading the game wrong but it seems like our biggest issue is either lack of metres gained per set or lack of defensive line speed. The weird thing is when our metres gained is good, our defensive linespeed is also good. Is this just a simple case of the team not showing up on certain weeks?

Personally I think when are are gaining metres more easily on offense we have more energy to increase linespeed on defence.

Once Paix came on we seemed to be moving up the field more easily but still our average set distance was only 42 metres compared to Bulldogs' 48 metres.

Missed most of the game but turned it on at 18-14 to see the ref trying to give leg ups. No way was Cobbo offside on the kick.

Fun to see some points scored but geez a COVID ravaged doggies and we had to come from behind.
Cobbo was onside. Not sure if Hetherington was though. H was well ahead of the kicker and came in to help Cobbo complete the tackle.

588CD49E EE4B 4633 B1FC 5F2C223660BA

Is this why turpin didn’t play last night?

Cobbo was onside. Not sure if Hetherington was though. H was well ahead of the kicker and came in to help Cobbo complete the tackle.
I rewound it straight away and confirmed.

And yet Reynolds won us the game and is on 700k.

I love haas but 1milly paaaleaseee
And without Haas Reynolds isn't in a position to make those plays. Games are won by winning the forward battle first and always have. The only difference this year is we finally have a great half to capitalise on field position instead of kicking it over the dead ball line.

The criticisms of Haas are getting pretty ridiculous, he's on 850k and is worth every cent as the best prop in the game. once again, he's doing the workrate of 2 very good props, zero errors, zero penalties, coach's dream.

He will only get better with good coaching to add a smart offload, and learning some pass selection but he doesn't even need that. We have 4 other middles, I can't think of any props that have a good offload or pass much. That's usually reserved for 13s.

And without Haas Reynolds isn't in a position to make those plays. Games are won by winning the forward battle first and always have. The only difference this year is we finally have a great half to capitalise on field position instead of kicking it over the dead ball line.

The criticisms of Haas are getting pretty ridiculous, he's on 850k and is worth every cent as the best prop in the game. once again, he's doing the workrate of 2 very good props, zero errors, zero penalties, coach's dream.

He will only get better with good coaching to add a smart offload, and learning some pass selection but he doesn't even need that. We have 4 other middles, I can't think of any props that have a good offload or pass much. That's usually reserved for 13s.
My biggest criticism of Haas, as others have alluded to, is that he isn’t great at working to spots on the field and at times needs to learn to hit his stomach and get a quick ptb. Patty has the same issues and when they both on it really takes Reynolds out of the game.

My biggest criticism of Haas, as others have alluded to, is that he isn’t great at working to spots on the field and at times needs to learn to hit his stomach and get a quick ptb. Patty has the same issues and when they both on it really takes Reynolds out of the game.
I wouldn’t mind seeing him develop an offload as well or maybe he’s being told not to. He seems get the arms free a fair bit but then fights for the extra metres instead.

completely agree with all that but he definitely needs an offload, and a pass before the line, which I've already seen but needs to use more. Use the Oates play running off Haas to mix it up would be awesome.

the scary thing is he's only 22 and these things should come into his game , same as patty

Gamble was pointing at where Dufty should have been playing the ball. We need to do this more often because the refs aren’t. Same with Reynolds at the scrum. The Duffman complaining to the referee and then the replay showing there being nothing he didn’t start himself is hilarious.
Happy to see the old Oates 2nd row play but we can’t use it every week. Might have to combine with a fake if the defense follows him.

completely agree with all that but he definitely needs an offload, and a pass before the line, which I've already seen but needs to use more. Use the Oates play running off Haas to mix it up would be awesome.
Last try in the game, he sucked in TPJ then passed before the line which gave Reynolds the space to run into the gap and put the kick through to Cobbo. He's only played 67 games in first grade, he's still a rookie and he's been surrounded by dud coaches and spine his whole career so far, he's finally got someone with a genuine high IQ, he'll learn when to pass and when to run hard, but that comes with experience and having some brains around you.

Well from where I was sitting, the first 50 mins looked like the Doggies were covered in baby oil. Anyone that stepped, broke the line.

Reyno was barely saying anything to the team. He is the captain! I know he bailed us out in the end but he needs to motivate and talk.

I'm glad we won but bloody hell we are farrrr from a real top 8 team. Our defence is an absolute mess. Broncos used to be one of the tightest defense lines in the game.

Is it Kevvies lack of experience?
Is it the youth?
Is it the captain?

Something is still broken. The team "on paper" should play the whole 80mins and look dangerous. Instead all I can hear in the stands is "don't drop" "hold the ball" "Nooooo!" "Whyyyyyy??" "Come ooooooon" "What the hell are you doing" "they are all bunched up" " this is high school footy".

The opposition are constantly talking to each other, motivating each other, revving each other up. Our players are just standing around hoping someone else will do something.

I'm glad we won, I am. If I was an opposing team I would look at that video and see a ton of opportunities to exploit our defence.

Long way to go yet. Just my opinion.
38 missed tackles is a worry. More so the defence of Cobbo. He's following the old Oates and Coates trick of being caught to far in.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Galah
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Fozz
  • Scorchie
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncorob
  • Stix
  • mieko
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Shane Tronc
  • Maddy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wild Horse
  • sooticus
  • Painin the Haas
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.