POST GAME [Round 7, 2022] Broncos vs Bulldogs

You must have me confused with someone else, I haven't ever suggested Turpin shouldn't be in the side.

I think the best combo we have is Turpin for about 45-50 minutes and then a bit of Paix later in the halves.
Yeah probably do, my bad.

The refs let them get away with it, so they just kept doing it. Was crazy tbh - haven't seen a game like that for such a long time.
They did it against souths last week too, but they eventually started getting done for it and resulted in a player (marshall-king i think) getting sent to the bin for repeated offences.

It seems to be a strategy of theirs now (not unlike Penrith and melb) To see if the ref will let them get away with it, and last night he did.

On defensive line speed, the complete lack of it on our team kills me every week. We take two steps and stop and lose the collision each tackle.

Oh, think you missed my joke
Giphy 2

They did it against souths last week too, but they eventually started getting done for it and resulted in a player (marshall-king i think) getting sent to the bin for repeated offences.

It seems to be a strategy of theirs now (not unlike Penrith and melb) To see if the ref will let them get away with it, and last night he did.

On defensive line speed, the complete lack of it on our team kills me every week. We take two steps and stop and lose the collision each tackle.
I don't think we have a line speed issue. We needed it ramps up. Constant line speed sucks the juice from the tank, its not wise to be going fast all game. Far more efficient to settle and let the opponent to take 8-10m per play.

I just think we need to be smarter with pushing the boundaries. Its hard when getting picked up on technical penalties a lot. The natural bias then becomes to buckle up and avoid any risks.

For me for haas to justify 1 million he needs to learn to ball play rather then offloads. Even tpjs offloads hardly ever get anything meaningful. He needs to add the odd pass at the line in the attacking 20m. Or run a good line with a play out the back in their 20m. Nothing major, just something to actually rake advantage of how many players he draws in otherwise they'll just number up on him for no risk to them.
He also needs to pull off some big hits in defence. A forward leader needs to be feared on both sides of the ball by the opposition.
We have a $700,000 prop (eg Welch in his prime, with some change) and we still win last night....
There isn't that many good props that you could just go sign one. Most are plodders, with only a few actual stars out there. Definitely wouldn't give him a million either.

It's not easy to just go and buy a Welch and sit him next to a Jensen, because they're hard to get in the first place.

Top props and estimated salaries

JFH - 900k
Papalii - 750k - Looks pretty over the hill these days
Paulo 800-850k (was on 700k, just extended for 5 years no doubt for a good upgrade) - Excellent player, worth it.
JWH - 700k - Overpaid, twilight years
Saifiti - unknown - Good player hard to comment on value
RCG - 800k - Solid
Fonua Blake - 850k - Beast, I rate him highly.
Welch 700k - Melbourne discount for love - Beast, probably in my top 5 but injury prone as heck
Lodge - 800k - lol, one of the worst deals we've ever done.
Tino - 900k - gun
Klemmer - 800k - good player
T Burgess - 700k - Not in the above league
L Thompson - 800k - as above
J Brom - 700k - as above
Solomona - 700k - gun but an impact player with low minutes, can't be the main man

After that we're really into no namers like Molo, Nicholls who are 500k props.

I'd give Haas 900k x 5 years no question.

The biggest issue we have is conceding penalties and making silly mistakes
I agree with everything you said except for this line. We only concede penalties and make mistakes en masse when we aren't making metres and our linespeed is down. I think you are describing a symptom of our issues rather than the root cause.

When the dogs were making metres through the middle of the field with ease, you could tell a pentaly or a six again was coming before it even happened. This is not just the Broncos either because you see the same pattern occur even with the top teams.

I did like the deliberate 6 again we gave away straight after a scrum when Addo-Carr I think made some decent inroads

Well from where I was sitting, the first 50 mins looked like the Doggies were covered in baby oil. Anyone that stepped, broke the line.

Reyno was barely saying anything to the team. He is the captain! I know he bailed us out in the end but he needs to motivate and talk.

I'm glad we won but bloody hell we are farrrr from a real top 8 team. Our defence is an absolute mess. Broncos used to be one of the tightest defense lines in the game.

Is it Kevvies lack of experience?
Is it the youth?
Is it the captain?

Something is still broken. The team "on paper" should play the whole 80mins and look dangerous. Instead all I can hear in the stands is "don't drop" "hold the ball" "Nooooo!" "Whyyyyyy??" "Come ooooooon" "What the hell are you doing" "they are all bunched up" " this is high school footy".

The opposition are constantly talking to each other, motivating each other, revving each other up. Our players are just standing around hoping someone else will do something.

I'm glad we won, I am. If I was an opposing team I would look at that video and see a ton of opportunities to exploit our defence.

Long way to go yet. Just my opinion.
For this reason alone get Walsh home and keep Gamble. Both do not shut up

Walters was very poor sadly to say. Paix must start from here on out, he needs the chance to make it his. I don't know what Walters was doing but he was absolutely clueless and I wonder if the late change had something to do with it. Walters Sr couldn't help himself and pulled the nepotism card. Stupid Kev.
This nepotism garbage is fucking frustrating.

Paix cant play 80 so would you prefer he start, play 30mins have a spell and then need to get subbed back on (extra interchange) or not come back on at all??

Kevvie did it correctly by starting Walters who got through the initial 30mins (albeit poorly) and then he made the right call to hook him and get Paix on who then played out the game.

The way Kevvie worked it had our better hooker playing the majority of the game and when he came on he was able to spark because he was coming up against fatigued players.

Expect the same next week except it will be Turps starting and then getting pulled at the 30min mark.

That refereeing was atrocious. From the very first sets of the game, look how slow the Dogs were to clear the ruck - and yet we were the first to get pinged? There was a very clear difference in how the rucks were managed throughout that game. They LIVED offside and nothing said. Markers hardly square yet again, we were the ones who got pinged for that. Capewell's usual penalties that wouldn't have been given had he still been wearing the Penrith jersey, you can tell that's frustrating him (but he also needs to learn from it and not push the issue so much). LOVED Reynolds calling the fucking ref out, he absolutely had to - but what state is the fucking game in where a captain has to do the job of the 3 officials on the fucking field? This is the bullshit we're all talking about, Annersley, you fucking muppet. Watch that game, look Broncos fans in the eye and tell us with a straight face that we were refereed the same as the Doggies. Would this shit fly in any other professional sport in the world?!

The flow on effect of the unfair officiating is the ongoing mental damage to our players. IMO it is becoming quite clear to see when watching the game. We play so passively, with no aggression at all because we're not fucking allowed to. It completely demoralises the boys and I don't really blame them tbh, why bother when it's so blatantly rigged against you? Poor Flegler is a prime example - he's now too scared to really take part in the game, the bullshit has gotten into his head and looks like it will pretty much neuter his entire career. Sure, he was a bit loose but he was improving. He is an old school enforcer, like JWH...yet the NRL won't let him play like that simply because of the jersey he wears. 20 years ago he would have been a fucking superstar...and if he wore a Roosters/Storm/Penrith jersey there is no way he cops the punishment he does.

It's so, so wrong. Why is it too much to ask to be officiated the same as our opposition? Yet every fucking week we have to beat the ref as well. Capewell and Reynolds actually look stunned by the rough hand we get dealt, they can't believe half the decisions we cop. It's disgusting and lastnight has me seriously considering whether I want to continue supporting the game.

Having said that, it's just something else we need to overcome. Kev needs to drill the siege mentality into the boys. "You're going to get the dud hand. We are pressuring the NRL through official channels, but until it changes - stop appealing for penalties, you won't get them. Stop throwing your hands up in the air every tackle. Just stop. You can't control it, so forget it. What you CAN control is possession, wrapping up offloads, line speed in defence. We need to beat the refs as well - that's just how it is. It's us against the world, lads, now let's fucking dig in!"

Still so many issues. I see Kev as a Wayne-type coach...the 'soft' stuff. He needs better assistants yesterday to help with the 'hard' technical stuff because our defensive structures, while better, are still woeful. Our line speed is terrible. We still look so lost out there, especially when pressuring the opposition's line. I know it's hard to build combinations with spine positions always changing but that should not affect the way we play. We MUST wrap up offloads better, we get killed every week with those. And Kev needs to change whatever he does at half time, we always seem to struggle immediately after.

I'm just so disillusioned. Look, I'm stoked we got the win, I was hollering and yahooing and I'm so proud of them for hanging in there. I'm genuinely happy they managed to come back, that will hopefully do wonders for their confidence. TMM was really really good, Kennedy had a career best game, Cobbo was outstanding, Oates was vintage again and Reynolds is starting to play even better for us than he did at Souths. We have an amazing young forward pack and some really exciting outside men. Geez we have the talent to compete. But we need coaches who can get the best from that talent (we don't) and we need to get a fair shot from the officials (we don't). Until those things change we won't make the 8. I hate to be a downer but that first 50 minutes was sooooo bad.

There isn't that many good props that you could just go sign one. Most are plodders, with only a few actual stars out there. Definitely wouldn't give him a million either.

It's not easy to just go and buy a Welch and sit him next to a Jensen, because they're hard to get in the first place.

Top props and estimated salaries

JFH - 900k
Papalii - 750k - Looks pretty over the hill these days
Paulo 800-850k (was on 700k, just extended for 5 years no doubt for a good upgrade) - Excellent player, worth it.
JWH - 700k - Overpaid, twilight years
Saifiti - unknown - Good player hard to comment on value
RCG - 800k - Solid
Fonua Blake - 850k - Beast, I rate him highly.
Welch 700k - Melbourne discount for love - Beast, probably in my top 5 but injury prone as heck
Lodge - 800k - lol, one of the worst deals we've ever done.
Tino - 900k - gun
Klemmer - 800k - good player
T Burgess - 700k - Not in the above league
L Thompson - 800k - as above
J Brom - 700k - as above
Solomona - 700k - gun but an impact player with low minutes, can't be the main man

After that we're really into no namers like Molo, Nicholls who are 500k props.

I'd give Haas 900k x 5 years no question.
So, a no name like Kennedy, what rate do you pay ?

Not one of Burton's bombs were dropped or let to bounce when not safe. I count that as a win for our back 3 who were all pretty good tonight.
Don`t think he kicked the torpedo bomb ?
That`s why AFL use the drop punt . Easier to catch than a Torp .

Active Now

• scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.