Round 7 - Broncos vs Raiders - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Reece Robinson, how the hell did he transform himself from a total nuffy into a pretty good reserve fullback?
I still remember having nightmares of Robinson on the wing for us! :rash:

I think his style suits a more central role, than being stuck on the wing. He's not a big, strong player, more one of those light-footed, jinky types that the more immobile forwards can have a hard time tackling. On the wing, he doesn't really get much room to have an effect.

I do expect us to send a few bombs his way on Friday night though. IIRC, he was never that good under the high ball when he was at the Broncos.

Robinson always had potential, it was just going to take more than one pre-season to find it.

Very handy player, good to see an ex-Bronco playing well.

Broncos' team to play the raiders, friday 7.30pm at Suncorp Stadium:
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Gerard Beale
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Dale Copley
6 Corey Norman
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Alex Glenn
12 Sam Thaiday (c)
13 Matt Gillett
Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Josh McGuire
16 Corey Parker
17 Ben Te’o
Coach Anthony Griffin

http://www.broncos.com.au/news-display/Teo-Named-To-Face-Raiders/50635

i wonder why Parker is still on the bench... he should start in place of Gillett IMO. I'm not sure Gillett is quite ready to start yet, his 2 worst games of the season came when he was in the starting side, it has been the same since his debut, he has been far better of the bench. (cue the defense of Gillett from rnabokov, arguing he should start in front of Parker)

Perhaps Parker is now a permanent bench player? Not something I would do honestly. I would much prefer Gillett coming off the bench for impact with Parker being a workhorse for 80 minutes.

Why is Ben Te'o even named? I thought with suspensions you wouldn't be named unless you somehow cleared the charge and had no suspension anymore in which case you would be a late addition to the squad?

players that contest charges are always named in their teams on a Tuesday .. probably to show that they have the confidence that the Player will get off

Surely Parker has to start now that he's had a run out. As much as Gillett should be a starting player for us right now he needs to drop back to the bench to think a bit more about how he goes about his game.

Perhaps Parker is now a permanent bench player?

That's a bit presumptuous considering this is only his second game back from injury, and he wasn't even originally named last week.

Besides, how do we know Hook won't move him into the starting side and shift Gillett back to the bench? I reckon that's a pretty good chance of happening. :handshake:

13+ win this Friday night IMO.

Raiders: Reece Robinson, Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker, Shaun Berrigan, Jack Wighton, Terry Campese (c), Josh McCrone, David Shillington, Glen Buttriss, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Joe Picker, Bronson Harrison, Josh Papalii. Interchange: Travis Waddell, Jarrad Kennedy, Sam Mataora, Dane Tilse

Broncos' team to play the raiders, friday 7.30pm at Suncorp Stadium:
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Gerard Beale
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Dale Copley
6 Corey Norman
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Alex Glenn
12 Sam Thaiday (c)
13 Matt Gillett
Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Josh McGuire
16 Corey Parker
17 Ben Te’o
Coach Anthony Griffin

http://www.broncos.com.au/news-display/Teo-Named-To-Face-Raiders/50635

i wonder why Parker is still on the bench... he should start in place of Gillett IMO. I'm not sure Gillett is quite ready to start yet, his 2 worst games of the season came when he was in the starting side, it has been the same since his debut, he has been far better of the bench. (cue the defense of Gillett from rnabokov, arguing he should start in front of Parker)

Right on cue ... I still maintain Gillett should be in the starting 13, but not necessarily at Parker's expense.

As for Gillett's "2 worst games of the season came when he was in the starting side", v the Dragons, nearly every media commentator was talking up Gillett for Origin and Test, as well they should. He played a terrific game, despite some errors.

Given Parker, Glenn and Thaiday are going to be around for years, are you saying Gillett's place is permanently on the bench?

In any case, I suspect it is likely Parker will start and Gillett will be on the bench, in which case I will be most interested to see if we blow the Raiders off the park in the first 30 as we did the Dragons and Tigers - especially since the Raiders have a few injured players out. Again, I'm not saying that was because of Gillett, just that it was a ripper of a starting side who played so well together as a unit, until the bench rotation started.

I also hope Macca is not interchanged if he is playing well. He should stay on the field until or unless his game falls away. His defence up the middle is invaluable. When he was off, it seemed to me both the Dragons and the Tigers started making ground up the middle and scoring points.

And just to be even more controversial (or stupid as Beads will say) maybe Parker's game is more valuable up the middle as a prop rather than a back rower.

Right on cue ... I still maintain Gillett should be in the starting 13, but not necessarily at Parker's expense.

As for Gillett's "2 worst games of the season came when he was in the starting side", v the Dragons, nearly every media commentator was talking up Gillett for Origin and Test, as well they should. He played a terrific game, despite some errors.

Given Parker, Glenn and Thaiday are going to be around for years, are you saying Gillett's place is permanently on the bench?

In any case, I suspect it is likely Parker will start and Gillett will be on the bench, in which case I will be most interested to see if we blow the Raiders off the park in the first 30 as we did the Dragons and Tigers - especially since the Raiders have a few injured players out. Again, I'm not saying that was because of Gillett, just that it was a ripper of a starting side who played so well together as a unit, until the bench rotation started.

I also hope Macca is not interchanged if he is playing well. He should stay on the field until or unless his game falls away. His defence up the middle is invaluable. When he was off, it seemed to me both the Dragons and the Tigers started making ground up the middle and scoring points.

And just to be even more controversial (or stupid as Beads will say) maybe Parker's game is more valuable up the middle as a prop rather than a back rower.

I didn't say he played badly in those 2 games, i just said that they were his worst games of the season (the one against the Tigers was his worst)

IMO Parker and Thaiday both should be certainties in the starting lineup, which leaves Glenn. I think it is best for the team that Glenn starts over Gillett because Gillett offers the better impact and ability to change the momentum off the bench

I also think that Gillett is better off starting from the bench as an impact player at the moment, just like Te'o, except Matt has probably more potential and talent.

Having said that, the idea of putting Parker in the props is not entirely wrong, although I would only envisage it after Civo retires and Parker no longer is an 80 minutes player, at which stage Gillett would slot into the lock position.

Glenn's work may not attract much praise or big stats, but as someone said before, he is always there when a tough hitup is needed, and is an excellent defender who hits hard every time. I see no reason to move him to the bench yet...

13+ win this Friday night IMO.

I thought that too against the Tigers. I had it all wrapped up with 4 minutes to go! I know for a fact if I had not put that bet on Gillett and Copely would have scored comfortably.

I hope we can An 80 minute performance in and just blow them away.

I also think that Gillett is better off starting from the bench as an impact player at the moment, just like Te'o, except Matt has probably more potential and talent.

Having said that, the idea of putting Parker in the props is not entirely wrong, although I would only envisage it after Civo retires and Parker no longer is an 80 minutes player, at which stage Gillett would slot into the lock position.

Glenn's work may not attract much praise or big stats, but as someone said before, he is always there when a tough hitup is needed, and is an excellent defender who hits hard every time. I see no reason to move him to the bench yet...

Like many of the tradional positions in league, the lock position has certainly morphed.
Many teams play their lock as the central defender - between the props if you like. Others defend wider.
It was laughable when the decision to select Gallen as a prop in the SOO last year created so much debate.
Gallen has always been one of those players who defends centrally like the 'new' locks.
Picking him as a prop meant he would play his normal role but with a different number.

Sammy T is on NRL on Fox tonight. Might be worth a watch for a change.

Sammy sure loves his hand gestures.

It's like he's translating for the deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Justwin
  • mrslong
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bish
  • jd87
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.