PRE-GAME Round 7 - Broncos vs Storm

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I don't like the idea of an injured Lodge being thrown to the grub wolves in the Melbourne pack. The likes of Bromwich will be targeting his ribs all night

I hope lodge recovers. He has been a leader in our pack with his consistency, along with Maguire. Maguire was instrumental in that win. and whilst I have reservation about his ability to ball play, no one can doubt his courage and tenacity (bearing in mind it is also done with the vision of one eye). I think Maguire is at his peak level, but i think lodge can improve on his defence a little (although the rib injury might play a role in that).
As for the others: in an inconsistent season start, Offa had his best game. He was easily one of the best forwards on the park (and that's saying something against the warriors!). My only concern is he may not back it up. Thats where a coaching great like Bennet gets to work his magic. Glenn gave his usual. Sua did well for a first starting game in a while. Thaiday, sims and taga were ok, (if they were better than that, I didn't notice).
Our back looked sharper, but they didn't really try anything extravagant, and I couldn't have been happier.
What we need now is to look at how we won that game, build on it and add to it. There no coincidence that the marvellous completion rate of that first half came in a game in which we outplayed a team at the top of the table.
It might sound counter-intuitive, but I think whilst it would be great to a have sweeping backline plays for an attack, it must really be built on a game plan that wears an opponent down and takes advantage of mistakes.
When we have two halves at the peak of their powers we can look at sweeping counter-attacks from our own half, but we're not there yet and won't be for awhile longer.
Whats needed? Simple first half gameplay that forces our opponents on the back foot, then wear them down with repeat sets. Read the body language and when they are cooked, go to town with your attacking guns. Keep bird around the ruck too. He was talking and reading that game better than any other bronco out there.

I hate being the negative one but it’s hard to get to excited by todays results. I’ve been let down too many times by this team the last couple of years.

I’m going to enjoy this win for what it was but it means absolutely nothing if we come out and play terrible against the storm next week.

I hate being the negative one but it’s hard to get to excited by todays results. I’ve been let down too many times by this team the last couple of years.

I’m going to enjoy this win for what it was but it means absolutely nothing if we come out and play terrible against the storm next week.

Yeah. Was a good win but the Warriors seemed really flat to me. Like a due for a loss performance. As you said the proof will be in how we play against Melbourne.

You gave yourself that condition didn't you? You were chicken little'ing like our season was over after 5 rounds.

cough ...cough....it was more like round 2 when we first were being written off by the "realists"

I want to see TPJ offload more in this game. I can understand the need for restraint agains the Warriors in poor conditions, but I think he needs to go back to it against the Storm.

This is exactly how I feel. Although, I am VERY happy we played really well today for 80 minutes and got the win when not many of us thought we would, you're right because it means absolutely nothing if we play like we did against the Titans and Knights.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Opacic
5. Isaako
6. Bird
7. Milford
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Glenn
12. Su'A
13. McGuire

14. Nikorima
15. Pangai Jr
16. Sims
17. Tagatese

Out for 1-2 weeks with a mysterious injury: Thaiday

I'd have Thaiday over Sims ... Thaiday is still out performing Sims, in fact i can't see what Sims offers the team at all. other than that, i want this to be the team named on Tuesday

If Bird is named in the halves I think that's a big bonus for us, Melbourne won't have too much video of Bird (other then last week) to go off..If Niko is in the halves, they will have a field day..
It could also go the other way and expose Bird's lack of experience in the halves, but his defense is solid, so I'm hopeful he stands up again..
Something about Melbourne playing at Suncorp, Smith always rises and it's always hard to get the W over them, but hopefully the boys get it done.. Looking for a big game from TPJ also, thought he was a little quite on Saturday night..

If Bird is named in the halves I think that's a big bonus for us, Melbourne won't have too much video of Bird (other then last week) to go off..If Niko is in the halves, they will have a field day..
It could also go the other way and expose Bird's lack of experience in the halves, but his defense is solid, so I'm hopeful he stands up again..
Something about Melbourne playing at Suncorp, Smith always rises and it's always hard to get the W over them, but hopefully the boys get it done.. Looking for a big game from TPJ also, thought he was a little quite on Saturday night..

they would have plenty of video of Bird in the halves ... he played there for a full season at the Sharks

Happy to be wrong (as I always want us to win), but if Bird remains in the halves - we can win it. If Niko plays 7, I don’t see how we possibly can - we’ve just looked ordinary as hell for all but about 60mins of the Cowboys game with him at 7.
I’m also not naive enough to think one game proves anything, nor has Bird ridden in on a white stallion to be our saviour, but I just feel infinitely more confident (did before the Warriors game too) with him in the halves over Kodi - for a number of reasons.
We just looked more focused, tenacious, energetic, structured and importantly, dangerous this weekend gone than we have all of 2018 and some of the backend of ‘17.
Coincidence? Maybe.
Time will tell I suppose.

Happy to be wrong (as I always want us to win), but if Bird remains in the halves - we can win it. If Niko plays 7, I don’t see how we possibly can - we’ve just looked ordinary as hell for all but about 60mins of the Cowboys game with him at 7.
I’m also not naive enough to think one game proves anything, nor has Bird ridden in on a white stallion to be our saviour, but I just feel infinitely more confident (did before the Warriors game too) with him in the halves over Kodi - for a number of reasons.
We just looked more focused, tenacious, energetic, structured and importantly, dangerous this weekend gone than we have all of 2018 and some of the backend of ‘17.
Coincidence? Maybe.
Time will tell I suppose.
I think the players were more confident as well knowing that there isn't that vast defensive corridor that players like Fitzgibbon and Pongia we're finding safe passage through the week before. The Warriors tried but couldn't find any gaps through Bird and S'ua. I'm with you, if Kodi plays, Melb win easy. If Bennett sticks with the same lineup, then I have increased confidence that a performance like last week could see the Broncos successful on the night.

Dno how the Storm can target Bird honestly. He's not like JT or Brooks, he's a big body who takes on the line and makes meters, and if they try and swarm him it will open up the men outside him. That's another reason why he's better than Niko.

I'm not sure what to expect this year as it appears to be a different storm team. The loss of Cooper appears to have rattled them a little more than anticipated.

They are well known as a dirty team but this year they've gone to another level with the diving to get people sin binned (3 cases this year alone) and Smith is now passing into players lying in the ruck (which I can't recall him doing previously).

They really are looking to win at all costs this year, whereas teams of the last few years used tactical advantages to get the wins and played a style that was entertaining to watch (compared to the grind it out style).

The loss of Cooper has hampered their attack with everything revolving around Cam and Billy this year. Unlike last year where Cooper was able to make his surrounding players better, bringing a different element. They're not getting enough from their halves and last week Cam played a lot of first receiver with Munster and Jacks playing as split 5/8's.

As always storm will look to exploit fast play the balls through the middle of our ruck, which has seemed to be out Achilles heel as far back as the Petero days, so to be any chance our goal line defence will need to be on song with a lot of scrambling defence required

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Organix
  • Shane Tronc
  • bert_lifts
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Fatboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • teampjta
  • bb_gun
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • MrRobot
  • Santa
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.