PRE-GAME Round 7 - Broncos vs Storm

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Smith is now passing into players lying in the ruck (which I can't recall him doing previously).

Milford did that against the Storm ... in fact i'm pretty sure he did that at one point on Saturday against the Warriors. Smith has done it in the past as well.

Ah, I don't even know anymore.

One thing I do know is Billy is going for gold in the diving again this week.

IMG 0286

Fucking Hope so

I saw four things that occurred on Saturday that make me more positive for the future, as long as they are built on and developed by the team.

1. Attitude - right from the outset there was a completely different feel to the side and it was clear that they came to play. This is very much contrasted with the disinterested, lazy and apathetic approach that they showed against the Titans and Newcastle. One would hope that the penny has dropped regarding how important their individual and collective attitudes are. If they revert back to what happened in the earlier games, they don't need a coach, they need a psychiatrist.

2. Committed forwards - forwards running with purpose, looking to bend the line and make post contact metres. We dominated that Warriors pack who had shown in the previous 5 games that they were a good pack and difficult to get over the top of. It was also not one or two of them that showed that type of commitment, it was across the board. Milford and Bird benefited from the extra space and time that afforded them.

3. Milford's game awareness - I noted some criticism of him taking the FG just before half-time. I had no issue with it and it in fact showed good game awareness in my view. It was unlikely that we were going to create anything in the time available prior to half-time. We had prime field position, why not take the opportunity to go in at half-time ahead by one, and what's more, have that advantage of being a point up and not looking for a FG at the end of the game where there may have been more pressure.

4. Right near the death, Milford put in a deliberate grubber to get the ball over the sideline and force a scrum and thereby (a) chew up more time and (b) allow us to defend with a set defensive line from the scrum. Once again, really good game management in my opinion, which has been lacking.

If we go in with the same approach against the Storm, I give us every chance of beating them. Particularly, if the refs continue their crack down.

I think the hardline stance the NRL has taken on bending the rules this season will hurt Melbourne more than it hurts us. I never enjoy watching us play verse Melbourne because I'm so agitated with what they get away with, and how well they execute it.

It's play AGAINST Melbourne, not verse

We are not writing poetry about them

The verses left the Storm with ‘Sinnews’.

I don't see a threat from Melbourne this time round and that worries me ! I couldn't see the Broncos winning in NZ and I was totally wrong about that. I'll be backing the Broncos this week, I expect they'll pour the points on but only if we go with basically the same team. Knik has got to be rested one more week or in the 14 jumper but really, he is surplus altogether. You can afford one turnstile but not two. Milford has picked up his attitude in defence but he is still only moderate but Bird is what we need at 5/8. Milf as a halfback is ok and where I have always thought he belonged.

Play bird at #6 until it stops working.

I’m really interested to see if Wayne sticks to his claim or backflips, will tell a bit about the old man.

If Bird is at 6, we win.
If he's not, calling it here that Munster will have an absolute field day and generate three weeks of "ORIGIN PLAYER" talk.

I’m not knocking Bird’s performance at all, but how much of Saturday was down to Bird being a better fit, and how much was it down to the field position and momentum we had?

It seemed to me to be an Origin I vs II thing, where Milford had limited opportunities behind a beaten pack in Game I, but Munster had a blinder in Game II when Smith pulled his finger out and orchestrated momentum.

Would Nikorima have looked better than he has been in Bird’s place on the weekend?

Play bird at #6 until it stops working.

I’m really interested to see if Wayne sticks to his claim or backflips, will tell a bit about the old man.

It won’t say shit about him. Wayne has done the opposite of what he has told the media countless times. How can you have followed any of his career and not realise this?

Last week Bennett said Thaiday and Nikorima will not be dropped. Surely after the wing against the Warriors, and the way the Bird/Milford combination panned out being successful in both attack and defence and Thaiday yet again being the worst forward on the field, he will be dropped to bring Nikorima on the bench? Everytime we play against the storm they have tortured us by running at Nikorima so having him go back to half back terrifies me.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skathen
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.