Round 8 - Broncos vs Bulldogs - Post Match Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
*S* = Spoilers.

Good win, we played to the conditions perfectly and managed to control the territory extremely well. Canterbury were their own worst enemy at stages but the cool head of the Broncos ultimately decided the game.

Hannant played his best game back since his return, Lockyer was good and I thought Dodds was handy off the bench. Parker, Thaiday and Hodges played as well as expected.

Macca again was the only let down. A lot of our sets on their line broke down because of him.

Edit by ning: Don't forget to vote in POTS!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XP55LMH

Re: Round 8 - Broncos vs. Bulldogs - Post Match Discussion *

7 in a row!

Would be nice to score a try that wasn't the result of terrible defense or a dropped ball.

We should have scored more give the possession we had.

Good job with the live game thread ning [icon_razz1 icon_thumbs_u

Am I alone in thinking Beale plays essentially like Boyd did for the Dragons in 2009? I reckon he's a good kick returner and he's reasonable under the high ball but that's basically where the buck stops right now.

Boyd was much better at chiming in during Dragons attacking sweeps. Also known as the "forward pass".

Otherwise.. yes.

His kick returns in the first half were incredible, he had made over 150metres in the first half alone, the second half he wasn't quite as involved, at one stage it looked like possibly clocking up 300m for the game, I think he settled for 220 or so by the end of the match - He has been very impressive at the back.

He is a much more imposing figure then Hoffman.

I mean it's entirely understandable, Beale mostly trained as a centre so a lot of the fullback plays would be foreign to him but that's why I'd have Hoffy before him at this stage.

Round 8 - Broncos vs. Bulldogs - Post Match Discussion *S*

Play the balls were pathetically slow in the second half. Dogs really got to lay down, ruined a lot of momentum.

Hannant was a machine tonight, made over 200 metres, this is the Hannant we wanted back at the club icon_thumbs_u

Two soft tries, one was off a Macca mistake who then missed the tackle on Barba which led to the first try; second one was off a Kenny mistake, who then went in soft on Corey Payne getting bumped off allowing Payne to offload to Barba. Hook brought out the hook immediately for both players!

I believe that our bench is where we're letting teams back into the game.

Did Carlaw play?

GCBRONCO said:
Hannant was a machine tonight, made over 200 metres, this is the Hannant we wanted back at the club icon_thumbs_u

Yep he was great.

Alex Glenn was good again.

Ghibli said:
Two soft tries, one was off a Macca mistake who then missed the tackle on Barba which led to the first try; second one was off a Kenny mistake, who then went in soft on Corey Payne getting bumped off allowing Payne to offload to Barba. Hook brought out the hook immediately for both players!

I believe that our bench is where we're letting teams back into the game.

When Gillett and Te'o get back, the bench will be massively improved. Until then as long as we're winning games I'm happy.

Glenn and Dodds were both great in d.

Also big ups to Jack Reed who kept Idris quiet. That's three big names he's kept quiet - SKD and Uate were the others.

EDIT - Anderson is another possible bench option.

Also fans should check out the ABC tomorrow and see how Lui and Ahern are going.

Lockyer, Hannant and Hodges were the standouts for mine. Hannant's 200+ metres is already immense, and considering how each of his runs was full of vigor, it makes it even more impressive.

'Twas a weird game to watch live.

We were so dominant in general play but as soon as we got near their line our attack turned to crap really. Once again, not enough depth - it was far too flatfooted and slow.

aside from that, our ability to control field position was top notch and the attitude in the team is sensational at the moment. Hannant been good in every game this season but tonight he was immense.

Personally, Hannant was Webke-esk tonight...

Glad ennis isn't a bronco anymore.

The Rock said:
Yep true. So not concerned about the bench at this stage.

Hanant was amazing, Parker and Thaiday were also great.

Lockyer and Wallace were very good, great kicking games (Wallace short kicking game was tops, always looks dangerous).

And as usual, our defence was a rock. Our ability to stop an offload is fantastic. Never thought I would be saying that!!!

Macca was shit. Hunt was shit. Only weak link in our team right now is our dummy halves.

I was right in saying we are peaking. Definitely the best performance of the year.
Agreed, very good game of Locky and Wallace, despite being hopelessly served from dummy half.
The opposition teams are learning to play at the arms of our slow hookers. Second week in a row that McCullough lost the ball because he's so slow out of dummy half... [icon_non

Still our amazing defense and game control makes every opponent look like crap. We pinned them in their half for pretty much the whole of the second half, fantastic stuff! Barba got 2 chances to shine and punished us though...

Hannant deserved his MOM prize, with Glenn second IMO. Parker, Hodgo and Thaiday were quite good too.

Although he scored a good opportunistic try, Beale just doesn’t have that spark in attack and found himself too often either flat footed or just plain in the way of the halves, while his kick returns just lack spark. He’s solid and didn’t much wrong, but I just can’t get excited about him.

The rest of the backs did their job really well, with Reed shutting down Idris and I loved the sledging of Barba, trying to get him off his game! :twisted:

Seven on the trot, great stuff! icon_thumbs_u

The game aside, I was blown away by how Locky was with the fans after the game, he walked up to near where we sat and signed things for anyone and everyone and he just looked right at home. he was the last player to leave the field as well.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.