Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
To be honest I am just happy to see that Copley is good with the boot from that play.

I rate Copley highly and I think Brisbane will come good. We need a 5/8th who has a good kicking game(who is hopefully a decent goal kicker also) and Barba to find some form as well as need to tighten up the defence. Some of those tries last week were very soft.

I think we would have won against the Rabbitohs if the refs realised Sam Burgess just flat out dropped the ball in the dying minutes though we almost had it at the end before being bundled over the sideline which shows they fought until the end. Broncos of 2013 would have given up after being behind by 14 points and the loss came down to missed conversions and a dodgy penalty gifting the lead to the opposition.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gillett was also involved.

It was soft defense by all 3 of them. He also got through Barba, but I don't blame him. There was no way Barba was going to stop George Burgess..

Macca and Wallace (I think) were asleep. They completely misread Burgess speed and both Macca and Wallace ought to have stopped him.

Gillett was asleep too yet he looked to me like he was also expecting the other 2 to make the tackle which simply should have, and could have been made. It was a soft try. Another example of how this team can just lose focus at the wrong time in the face of the bleeding obvious ... like Souths using Burgess close to the line.

As for the Copley effort, Reed looked to me like he never even contemplated the possibility of catching the ball. He could have, and maybe caught it and stepped inside and scored, but I don't think Reed is that good.

Looks to me like he was always looking for the play to Vidot who would most likely have scored if the Reed tip on came off

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Composure is a big issue for us as is defence in the last 10 minutes of games. Not sure if we are running out of puff or our composure in defence is the major cause.

True.

We had no idea how to set up for the field goal play.

And I think in future, surely the better option when in doubt go for a better kick than a half arsed field goal attempt.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
True.

We had no idea how to set up for the field goal play.

And I think in future, surely the better option when in doubt go for a better kick than a half arsed field goal attempt.

Exactly, from memory there were still 5 or so mins on the clock. It wasn't last gasp stuff. Upon seeing that there was no real chance of a field goal, we should have kicked for the repeat set.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Composure is a big issue for us as is defence in the last 10 minutes of games. Not sure if we are running out of puff or our composure in defence is the major cause.

Defence has been the biggest problem all year.

Brisbane were relying on their defence....and it was working, to win games in previous seasons. Since Stephen Kearney became one of the assistant coaches, it's gone to shit.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Defence has been the biggest problem all year.

What.. I must be watching different games to you, I thought that our defense had improved 10 fold in comparison to last season.

Just checked the NRL website, we have the 6th best "Against" in the NRL, and that's including a 30 point outing from the Roosters against us and the 28 from the Bunnies last week, the 2 best attacking sides in the NRL over the last couple of years.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
What.. I must be watching different games to you, I thought that our defense had improved 10 fold in comparison to last season.

Can't agree with that. What was the missed tackle stat against the Roosters? 42 or something crazy like that. The only real highlight defensively has been the Newcastle game. They were camped on our line for a long time - I think they were over the line 4 times but were held up. That was quality defense. All our other games the defense has been lacking, especially at crucial times.

Just checked the NRL website, we have the 6th best "Against" in the NRL, and that's including a 30 point outing from the Roosters against us and the 28 from the Bunnies last week, the 2 best attacking sides in the NRL over the last couple of years.

I don't know what to make of that. 6th best doesn't sound all that impressive. It could be most sides are struggling defensively. Even the once impregnable Storm are letting in soft tries.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
First 8 rounds for 2013.

Against - 126 points, averaging 15.75 points a game. 22 tries, averaging 2.75 tries a game. Missed 225 tackles, averaging 28.12 missed tackles a game.

First 8 rounds for 2014.

Against - 145 points, averaging 18.12 points a game. 25 tries, averaging 3.12 tries a game. 266 missed tackles, averaging 33.25 missed tackles a game.

Our defense has improved? Okay. We are showing a little more commitment this year, but our defense is really no better.

The only real difference from last year is our attack. And our fitness..

First 8 rounds of 2013.

For - 138 points, averaging 17.25 points a game. 26 tries, averaging 3.25 tries a game.

First 8 rounds of 2014.

For - 180 points, averaging 22.5 points a game. 32 tries, averaging 4 tries a game.

However, we are still doing a lot of the one out crap.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
First 8 rounds for 2013.

Against - 126 points, averaging 15.75 points a game. 22 tries, averaging 2.75 tries a game. Missed 225 tackles, averaging 28.12 missed tackles a game.

First 8 rounds for 2014.

Against - 145 points, averaging 18.12 points a game. 25 tries, averaging 3.12 tries a game. 266 missed tackles, averaging 33.25 missed tackles a game.

Our defense has improved? Okay. We are showing a little more commitment this year, but our defense is really no better.

The only real difference from last year is our attack. And our fitness..

First 8 rounds of 2013.

For - 138 points, averaging 17.25 points a game. 26 tries, averaging 3.25 tries a game.

First 8 rounds of 2014.

For - 180 points, averaging 22.5 points a game. 32 tries, averaging 4 tries a game.

However, we are still doing a lot of the one out crap.

While all that is interesting (seriously) I feel it is also important to look at those stats relative to how other teams are performing.

Also, for mine, the game is a lot faster this year, a few different rules, and yes, there is still too much one-out shit but I have also noticed a lot more of an expansive game, especially when Barba gets involved, and Hannant seems to be passing more consistently.

IMO, Hannant's passing game is an under-rated aspect of our game, and its importance is significant. I actually see Hannant as a vital cog in our attacking game.

I think our game overall this year is a lot better than last year so far, stats notwithstanding.

The missed tackles are however a crucial issue, as is the loss of focus at key times, particularly the last 5- 10 minutes of the game.

Hunt's progressive evolution as half, in difficult circumstances, makes our game different to last year's as well

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Watching the highlights, Maranta did show some of his supposed speed when chasing Inglis, though it was right at the end and he didn't manage to tackle him in time. He needs to back himself and show it more in general play.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
What does everyone think of that obstruction try/no try?

I think it was technically an obstruction, but after the anger passed, I was fine with the decision.

Unread

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • RolledOates
  • Astro
  • Ondi
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • davidp
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.