Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Because whatever the differences in the team between this year and last year, the actual results so far have been EXACTLY the same.

Great point, Jason. Should we be happy because we're 'losing better' than last year? I'm not sure.

As others have said though, it's only round 8. I think around rounds 12-13, or even after the Origin series, we'll know for sure if this is a repeat of last year.

Last edited:
Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Although the record is the same, the results aren't. Which have me believing we will finish the season a lot stronger than we did last season. Although we will be tested around Origin time, we aren't going to be as decimated as we have been in the past. We will only lose one of our 1-7 and we have adequate cover in Maranta, Kahu and Mills. Our forwards will get worse hit with Thaiday, Gillett & Parker going, but we again have adequate cover in Lowrie, Hala, Wallace, etc.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
So you think results are the only things that matter? so form within these games, the teams form in general, means nothing?

Most definitely results are the only thing that matters. Granted they are playing better football than last year, they have improved greatly but at the end of the day you need to win games, results on the board is what is important.

At this point we are exactly the same record as last year and coming into origin who knows what's going to happen. Losing by 2 or by 20 is still losing, unfortunately we don't get bonus points as in Union.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Most definitely results are the only thing that matters. Granted they are playing better football than last year, they have improved greatly but at the end of the day you need to win games, results on the board is what is important.

At this point we are exactly the same record as last year and coming into origin who knows what's going to happen. Losing by 2 or by 20 is still losing, unfortunately we don't get bonus points as in Union.

I'm more concerned by how we are playing. This year is about building these new combinations and growing as a team. We are no chance of a premiership this year. What I am saying is that it is important to look at how the team is playing not just go "oh we are 4 from 8 it's just like last year"

This team is nothing like last year

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
I'm more concerned by how we are playing. This year is about building these new combinations and growing as a team. We are no chance of a premiership this year. What I am saying is that it is important to look at how the team is playing not just go "oh we are 4 from 8 it's just like last year"

Very true mate, it is important to look at how they are playing and they have improved in leaps and bounds from last year. But still, winning is winning and we aren't winning the winnable games. The team is nothing like last year and we are playing better but we are still in the same spot. Says something about the rest of the comp hey, everyone is moving as one bar a couple of teams so we are still that one step behind.

we are getting better but so are the other teams.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

No, it's not yet I disagree with you about the team being no chance of a premiership this year. I think there is every chance PROVIDED that:

Barba continues to emerge from his shell as he seems to be doing, and continues to play as our effective 2nd ball playing 5/8 cum FB.

Barba continues to build combinations as he seems to be with Gillett;

The kicking game seriously improves which means not just Hunt, and not just hoicking up bombs but more of those little grubbers like he did for Reed last game;

Consistent cross field kicks to Vidot and Copley;

The defence holds (not necessarily dominates) the middle;

The forwards, particularly Hannant, pass the bsall, and we build on an expansive game of football, not the one-out die with ball shite. Offloading is critical, and I must say our support play is improving.

Kennedy takes a fistfull of angry pills and shed 10 kgs

Quick play the balls and keeping the momentum especially in defensive line speed which is showing good signs so far;

Wingers not leaving open corridors.

I am positive, but I must say, with Hoffman at 5/8, Barba is the man along with Hunt. Barba all over the field, Hunt working mainly our deadly right hand side.

I think we are a great chance of at least top 4 if we maintain the evolution

Last edited:
CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
We are no chance of a premiership this year.

I hope it's not true but you're probably right. Do you think a top 4 finish is still within reach, b4l? If our 4/8 record is replicated over the next 2/3 of the season it might not be enough.

This has got me thinking of the "premiership window" theory. When do you think our next genuine chance at a premiership is? Next year, if not this one? I thought I read somewhere in the papers that Griffin (or someone at the Broncos) earmarked 2015 as a legitimate chance.

I would count the era of 2009-11 as a bombed chance. We made two preliminary finals and could have done a lot better.

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

Banned User
Apr 13, 2014
???

so you're not interested in discussing anything?

It certainly seems that way.

Step 1: Read others' posts
Step 2: Respond vaguely
Step 3: ???
Step4: Profit

@Bluebeard has me a little intrigued, the sheer lack of words is refreshing.

What should concern you is the inability to close out even games. After this round it was the 4th time it's happened, it's pathetic and clearly obvious no one has done anything to fix it.

I mean, how many fucking times are we going to let this go on? And it doesn't help that the coach treats our regular 6 like his fucking son.

Last edited:
CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
What should concern you is the inability to close out close games.

100% Bluebeard.

It's a problem because it keeps happening. I don't necessarily agree with the theory that it's because we're lacking a 5/8. It's certainly part of it but we're scoring a lot of points. A big problem is just simple errors and then compounding that with more mistakes. Frustrating to watch. It's also not the young guys letting us down most of the time but experienced players who should know better.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
100% Bluebeard.

It's a problem because it keeps happening. I don't necessarily agree with the theory that it's because we're lacking a 5/8. It's certainly part of it but we're scoring a lot of points. A big problem is just simple errors and then compounding that with more mistakes. Frustrating to watch. It's also not the young guys letting us down most of the time but experienced players who should know better.

IMO reasons we have struggled to close our games this year:

* we are lacking a genuine 5/8

* we essentially have a rookie halfback (maybe not rookie player, but starting halfback is very different to 20 mins a game as releif hooker)

* new combinations in the spine (Macca is the only one remaining from last year). these will take time to gel.

* A full back who is recovering from a bad ankle injury (that may still not be 100%) as well as trying to get his head right and return to his best. He is also being asked to play a different style of footy to what he is used to, it will take some time to find the balance.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I hope it's not true but you're probably right. Do you think a top 4 finish is still within reach, b4l? If our 4/8 record is replicated over the next 2/3 of the season it might not be enough.

This has got me thinking of the "premiership window" theory. When do you think our next genuine chance at a premiership is? Next year, if not this one? I thought I read somewhere in the papers that Griffin (or someone at the Broncos) earmarked 2015 as a legitimate chance.

I would count the era of 2009-11 as a bombed chance. We made two preliminary finals and could have done a lot better.

I don't think top 4 is out of reach this year but we need a lot of things to go right, top 8 and not just making up the numbers is probably more likely.

IMO our window opens next year and probably runs until about 2018, maybe longer depending how the cover the eventual losses of Parker etc

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
IMO reasons we have struggled to close our games this year:

* we are lacking a genuine 5/8

* we essentially have a rookie halfback (maybe not rookie player, but starting halfback is very different to 20 mins a game as releif hooker)

* new combinations in the spine (Macca is the only one remaining from last year). these will take time to gel.

* A full back who is recovering from a bad ankle injury (that may still not be 100%) as well as trying to get his head right and return to his best. He is also being asked to play a different style of footy to what he is used to, it will take some time to find the balance.

And we are missing the calming influence and direction once provided by Locky. He would just guide us around the field, we are certainly more organised this year than last but in the crunch times we've panicked and its cost us the close games.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Yep, still missing the on-field leadership that the teams to beat have.

The guys like Thurston, Smith, DCE. Pearce/Maloney/Carney/etc to some extent.

The guys are getting better at this; Barba will find his voice as he settles into the team, he already is and it's great. Macca is pushing the forwards around, again better all the time. I'd love to see Hunt with another playmaker taking some pressure off, but he's doing a pretty solid job all things considered.

The on-field leadership is IMO the ONLY thing we are missing, that is keeping us from being one of the front-runners in the comp. I also expect that to change as the better teams go up a gear - we have improvement, definitely, but can we go another gear with the Manlys, Souths, etc? I look forward to finding out!

Missing the 8 this year would be unforgivable. We could quite reasonably be 7 or 8 from 8 right now, without any great stretch of the imagination. Missing Sept footy would be an absolute travesty and heads would rightfully roll.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
100% Bluebeard.

I think the fact we lack a proper 5/8 and have a halfback who is still establishing himself in the role, is one if not the most important factor for why we are not closing out games we should have.

We are playing better than last season, but we more than likely would be 8-0 or 7-1 at worst if we had one of Wallace or Prince (I'm not even suggesting Locky) alongside Hunt for the last 10 minutes of each game we lost, purely to control the pace of the game and take away any chance for the opposition to muster the comebacks they have.

Hopefully Hunt will get there, and hopefully Hoggman will be on the wing where he belongs sooner rather than later, but for now, we have to swallow the bitter pill and accept that we don't have the halves to shut out a game.

Having said that, Macca certainly needs to take more responsibility in this aspect.

Last edited:
jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
No, it's not yet I disagree with you about the team being no chance of a premiership this year. I think there is every chance PROVIDED that:

Barba continues to emerge from his shell as he seems to be doing, and continues to play as our effective 2nd ball playing 5/8 cum FB.

Barba continues to build combinations as he seems to be with Gillett;

The kicking game seriously improves which means not just Hunt, and not just hoicking up bombs but more of those little grubbers like he did for Reed last game;

Consistent cross field kicks to Vidot and Copley;

The defence holds (not necessarily dominates) the middle;

The forwards, particularly Hannant, pass the bsall, and we build on an expansive game of football, not the one-out die with ball ****e. Offloading is critical, and I must say our support play is improving.

Kennedy takes a fistfull of angry pills and shed 10 kgs

Quick play the balls and keeping the momentum especially in defensive line speed which is showing good signs so far;

Wingers not leaving open corridors.

I am positive, but I must say, with Hoffman at 5/8, Barba is the man along with Hunt. Barba all over the field, Hunt working mainly our deadly right hand side.

I think we are a great chance of at least top 4 if we maintain the evolution

Thisthisthisthisthisthis !!!!

Couldn't agree more.

Well put good sir :takdir:

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Never bought into the 'we should have kept Wallace line'.

Largely because the team would have been made to play a different style since Wallace is a hands on halfback who basically has to be involved more than he should. Heck, he's virtually played Segeyaro out of the Penrith side by constantly going to dummy half. It was time for both parties to move on, it clearly wasn't working.

Prince didn't have another year to give and was fortunate enough to play out last season. His run home was fine, but people are too quick to forget his poor form for the bulk leading up to that point. The only aspect we could use right now was his passing game, and even then it wasn't anything special to warrant the liability in defence.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • TommieToona
  • Mr Fourex
  • HVbronco
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • bazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.