PRE-GAME Round 8 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

No one in the media has said we are left with a spud team. They have said that there is a lot more work for Seibold to do with this team because Bennett has a very simplistic style of coaching and Seibs is putting structure into them for the very first time. This can’t really be disputed and no one is using that as a knock on Wayne, however Crawley is taking it out of context intentionally to run his agenda.
Here's Paul Kent on the team Wayne left us with:
"He could’ve acknowledged (Seibold) has got potential, he’s done some good things.
“Seibold inherited a much worse team than Wayne inherited as far as football education and where they are.
It's all about positioning to be able to continue with whatever grudges they've already got. Dollars to donuts if we were 6 and 1 while the Rabbits were 2 and 5 the usual suspects wouldn't be going on about how Wayne's an amazing coach. They want to have it both ways and that's what shits me.

Just watched Bennett's presser yesterday. Got to say, how bitter and conceited which i don't know about the rest of the BHQ fam, but it made me lose some respect for him.
I hope Seibold uses that footage as some ammunition and let's really give it to them.
Win at all costs mentality!

We have the cattle to be top 4. We should be doing better than we are right now, no question about that in my mind.
So what do you think the problem is then ?

Is the new 'style' too hard for the current group adjust too..or do we not have the right players to play the Seibold way ?

Paul Kent is talking about fitness and structures. It was found that conditioning was not up to standard and the playing structures were not there. This includes wrestling, play the ball speed and ball in hand structure.

I can not find one player in this squad who is not at peak weight this year. The Hook bulking era is done and now the Wayne its ok as long as you can run era is done.

The argument is Wayne has walked into a team who has had Madge then Siebs as coaches. who have built a fit structured team primed for GF finish this year. Siebs walked into a team that in reality had been slipping. We had not improved post 15. The media had no right to be talking us up the way they did preseason. We had just finished back end of the 8 in a flogging by st george and then the coaching saga.

I still feel that all that talk was the media setting up the Broncos for a bashing.

I just wanted to write a quick post re Darius Boyd. He has certainly been a whipping boy around here recently and I agree his form is down and also think his best is behind him.

In saying that, he plays game 300 tonight and should be regarded as a great Bronco. Hoping he turns it on tonight and gets a deserved win! It’s a shame all the crap re Seibold and Bennett has overshadowed the celebrations re Darius and GI.

Fwiw I don’t rate the whole ‘we finished 2018 one win off first’ reasoning - nearly half the comp did. Tigers were only 4 wins off first and came 9th. (That was the difference between the Storm in first and us in 3rd in 2017)

You can angle it as we were just as good as the Storm, Souths etc, but we were only on the right side of average too.

Last edited:

Is the new 'style' too hard for the current group adjust too..or do we not have the right players to play the Seibold way ?

I don't think it's the style, we just haven't been holding the ball enough. I'm sure if Seibold could get South's players used to his style quickly he can do it with us. I just think we have been collectively making too many errors.

Fwiw I don’t rate the whole ‘we finished 2018 one win off first’ reasoning - nearly half the comp did. Tigers were only 4 wins off first and came 9th. (That was the difference between the Storm in first and us in 3rd in 2017)

You can angle it as we were just as good as the Storm, Souths etc, but we were only on the right side of average too.

Totally agree, whilst it was a condensed ladder there was a clear gulf between the top sides. We were good but were not on the roosters or storms level.

We certainly have the cattle, but for a few missed tackles and a few dropped balls we realisticly could be 5 and 2. Tighten up our defence and a few more sprays of Griptec on the hands and we'll be much improved.

We did beat the Roosters twice as well as Souths. And by the end of the year the injuries were mounting up, off the top of my head we were missing Gillett, Bird, Haas, Su'a, and Savelio with TPJ, Boyd, Roberts and Milford all playing injured. With those guys back in and fit the squad is far better than the one we had running out in late 2018.

Is Deardon likely to kick more than Nikorima?
He does have a longer kicking game than Kodi. How much he'll over cook his kicks due to nerves is something I'm looking forward to learn. Though as the King so sagely advised - it's running at those big forwards that is likely create most damage.

Forward leadership for mine.
Sure we may technically have a better forward pack this year on paper than last year but leadership is what counts and we lost a lot of it in the off season with McGuire, Thaiday and Sims all departing the club. Sure we got Matt Gillett back this year but some of the players we lost were the forward leaders of the team in Thaiday and McGuire. They were the ones who held you accountable for your mistakes. We still haven't remotely got a forward leader yet to hold every one of them accountable for their actions on the field.

Just watched Bennett's presser yesterday. Got to say, how bitter and conceited which i don't know about the rest of the BHQ fam, but it made me lose some respect for him.
I hope Seibold uses that footage as some ammunition and let's really give it to them.
Can you link it please. What did he say that was bitter and which part made him appear conceited? Quotes if you can manage it, examples of bitterness and conceit.

I just hope our forwards work hard for the young fellow. It's hard enough to debut at 18 as a half, let alone behind a beaten pack.
That said if he does nothing more than follow milf's, boydBoyd Macca's direction, you can ask nothing more. Some early tackles or taking the line on in an early tackle should settle his nerves. From then on it's just following the set, back up the forwards for 2nd phase (if he does though, he'll be the first one this season), and setting up for the kick or kick chase.
I don't expect the team to blaze a path of glory., but if they follow whatever game plan siebold sets out and show a strong defensive line, I'll be more than happy.
South's are a strong contender for the title and well settled. Our team on the other hand has had some major disruptions. Whatever we try against South's should be based on wearing out their aging forwards. Shifting the point of attack with a pivot to the halves is fine but anything more like sweeping back line moves early in the set and we will be in trouble.
On the plus side, if our forwards run close to the ruck, with the aim of getting some momentum and quick play-the-balls, I won't complain, but I suspect neither might the burgesses. Theyll be keen to put a dent on our pack.

Forward leadership for mine.
Sure we may technically have a better forward pack this year on paper than last year but leadership is what counts and we lost a lot of it in the off season with McGuire, Thaiday and Sims all departing the club. Sure we got Matt Gillett back this year but some of the players we lost were the forward leaders of the team in Thaiday and McGuire. They were the ones who held you accountable for your mistakes. We still haven't remotely got a forward leader yet to hold every one of them accountable for their actions on the field.

Forward leaders? Accountability? Thaiday and McGuire? Hmmm. Nah. Thaiday was too busy being lazy in defence and McGuire was too busy giving away silly penalties. However Gillett, definitely. I also reckon last week's performance by our very young pack was as good as anything Thaiday, McGuire and Sims put on last year. I reckon Gillett and Lodge are leading the pack just fine and getting better with every game.

You're allowed to be conceited when you have accomplished as much as he has and have 27 million in the bank. You can't blame him for being bitter considering how he was blindsided. I'm sure he isn't complaining though, about to go 7-1 and riding high.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.