PRE-GAME Round 9 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

It kind of sucks that McCullough isn't captain to be honest, I think he deserves it, and I also think he'd thrive on it and it'd take his game to the next level.

He always leads by example, never gives any less than 100%, puts pride in to the jersey and does everything right off the field, attitude & work ethic wise.
Would've been my choice after Hodgo when Locky retired. Never understood Thaiday's choice at the time.

It kind of sucks that McCullough isn't captain to be honest, I think he deserves it, and I also think he'd thrive on it and it'd take his game to the next level.

He always leads by example, never gives any less than 100%, puts pride in to the jersey and does everything right off the field, attitude & work ethic wise.

while i've always though he would be a good captain ... i feel, that being that secure in the side would make his form suffer.

every time there has been some speculation over his position ... his performances lifted to another level.

while i've always though he would be a good captain ... i feel, that being that secure in the side would make his form suffer.

every time there has been some speculation over his position ... his performances lifted to another level.

Other side of the coin is as Captain he could lift. He'd be the guy that has to front the media after the game.....the guy that would cop a large portion of the criticism if we lose.

Other side of the coin is as Captain he could lift. He'd be the guy that has to front the media after the game.....the guy that would cop a large portion of the criticism if we lose.

I think you're both right to some degree.

you may have a point there

The secrets behind Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough’s incredible early return from injury

ba77f46161bf167fa7647c7920208240

Andrew McCullough of the Broncos leaves the field injured during the Round 7 NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and the Melbourne Storm at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Friday, April 20, 2018. (AAP Image/Glenn Hunt) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE
DO you want a rum and coke Macca?
The question floated in from a couple of the media boys to Andrew McCullough as they waited for a plane last Saturday evening in Mackay where McCullough had attended a coaching clinic and regional dinner.
“No chance,’’ said McCullough. “I could play next week.’’
Really? Crook elbow and all. There’s a shock.
But surely one cheeky little rum before the plane would not make .0000001 of a difference to his chances of playing or indeed, how he would play.
“No,’’ said McCullough because you never know — it just might.
This was not simply the story of McCullough’s weekend but his entire career.
He may not be the biggest, fastest, or most well-paid hooker of his generation but in terms of squeezing every last bleeding drop of potential from his game it is doubtful any story can top his.
aa91e948b451589f20347ca1a3506ad9

McCullough has cut no corners in his quest to get back on the field.
Whether it is getting the right amount of the sleep he needs, eating the right foods, doing the right exercises or staying on the wagon, he has given himself every chance.
When boxing great Joe Frazier was asked why he was looking so at peace with himself before a major fight he said “because if I go down there will be no excuses. I’ve done everything I can. There is nothing left to do.’’
McCullough could feel the same way.
Last year McCullough was supposed to miss four to six weeks with a broken thumb. He missed three.
Then he tore a leg muscle and was supposed to be out for four to six weeks but was back in three.
On Wednesday he was cleared to return from an elbow injury that saw him miss just one week and not the four to six expected.
You had to be at Broncos training to realise what moments like this mean to a club.
People do not start punching the air or woo-hooing because he actually has not proven anything yet.
HE WILL PLAY: McCullough’s miracle recovery
ORIGIN: Could Ponga play?

The ultimate proof of whether he is ready will be whether he and his elbow goes the distance tonight. And let’s face it. Coming back early from an elbow injury is not coming back from the dead.
But once McCullough was declared a certain starter it tangibly lifted the morale not simply of the session but of everyone at the club.
In a season that grinds on with very little changing from week to week suddenly there was a fresh buoyancy that comes when someone proves, though sheer bloody-mindedness, anything is possible.
It was another little spike in McCullough’s reputation which has grown steadily in recent winters.
A few years ago people were saying the Broncos would not win a premiership with McCullough at hooker. Now they say they won’t win without him.
9e9b529b4680ff9b79fa09d724067a9d

McCullough has only missed one week with an elbow injury.
McCullough was desperate for an early return.
After a furious training session last Thursday he bet Broncos corporate affairs manager Trad McLean lunch that he would play this week and by Sunday was texting him asking “can I place my order now?’’
For all of his commitment it must be said McCullough is no straight-laced Methodist Minister.
During the off-season he is capable of loosening up and kicking it around a bit.
I remember once receiving a wacky little text message from him while covering a Perth cricket Test which hinted that while bowlers were toiling off long runs at the WACA he may have been at an even longer lunch in Brisbane.
One long-lasting image is of him standing, numb and shattered in the Broncos dressingroom after his side had the 2015 grand final picked from their pocket by the Cowboys.
He has simply spent everything he had but even through the distress of it all there was one consoling thought — like Joe Frazier he had given all he had.

Respect.
The byline didn’t copy over for some reason but this was written by Craddock in the CM.

Last edited:
He's brave and all, but I hope we don't go back to that one out shit with him there.

How would he lift? Would he all of a sudden provide faster service? Would he become an attacking weapon? Would he constantly go for the right option in the opposition red zone? What you see is what you get with Macca. A good honest toiler but it will never be anything more than that. He might make a half decent captain but it won't change his playing abilities.

His position has never been unsafe. McCullough has a huge heart. Not a fan at all of his attack for most part but way better captain material then alternatives and seems like type of guy that would lift only question is would he player smarter or just go more in on his defensive work.

How would he lift? Would he all of a sudden provide faster service? Would he become an attacking weapon? Would he constantly go for the right option in the opposition red zone? What you see is what you get with Macca. A good honest toiler but it will never be anything more than that. He might make a half decent captain but it won't change his playing abilities.

It was in response to Foordy saying Macca getting the captaincy could be a negative more than anything, but who knows what it would do to him. He might become an attacking weapon, he might back himself more and take the right option in the red instead of the one out stuff, who knows. I'd certainly like him to kick more, he's got a decent boot on him.

We need to put out a rumour that Smith is considering joining the Broncos next year.

The last time there was talk of that, Macca went up a level.

Frawley named to start at hooker.

Looks like Jeremy Marshall-King will be staying at 6. It makes sense, as Frawley is a bigger body.

Frawley is 185cm and 90kg's. Marshall-King is 186cm and 83kg's.

It was in response to Foordy saying Macca getting the captaincy could be a negative more than anything, but who knows what it would do to him. He might become an attacking weapon, he might back himself more and take the right option in the red instead of the one out stuff, who knows. I'd certainly like him to kick more, he's got a decent boot on him.
He’ll be due to retire in four years when Boyd’s done anyway.

Frawley named to start at hooker.

Looks like Jeremy Marshall-King will be staying at 6. It makes sense, as Frawley is a bigger body.

Frawley is 185cm and 90kg's. Marshall-King is 186cm and 83kg's.
Lichaa hasn't had a great start to the season but this team change makes no sense. If it's even possible, they're a less creative team with JMK and Frawley.

Had hoped we'd rest Macca even if he's ahead of schedule, would rather he's fully recuperated. Think we still could have accounted for them with Murphy as substitute.

Will be interested to see TPJ over the coming weeks. With Moose out he's get a golden opportunity to establish himself as a lynch pin in the side.

Lichaa hasn't had a great start to the season but this team change makes no sense. If it's even possible, they're a less creative team with JMK and Frawley.

Had hoped we'd rest Macca even if he's ahead of schedule, would rather he's fully recuperated. Think we still could have accounted for them with Murphy as substitute.

Will be interested to see TPJ over the coming weeks. With Moose out he's get a golden opportunity to establish himself as a lynch pin in the side.

Yeah can't disagree with any of that.

Team looks so much better with McGuire starting prop and TPJ at lock, hopefully this happens when McGuire returns.

I don't get the dogs change at all. Lichaa hasn't been in top form but he is hardly their biggest issue.

I don’t mind Frawley but admittedly haven’t seen more than a handful or so of his games. Off contract next season. On cheap thinking he would be worth a go? Especially if could get him this season. Is he the controlling half that could be built?

How's the weather around Brisbane today? Expecting rain tonight?

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Mr Fourex
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • Fitzy
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • jd87
  • Fatboy
  • bb_gun
  • mrslong
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.