/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

My thoughts in no particular order -

Thaiday - Not leading from the front as he should be in his final year. Watching the lead up to the first try, he was lazy at marker and I remember thinking he was going to cost us a try. Nekminit try time. Needs to step it up for our sakes as I don't think he'll be dropped.

Boyd - Getting better despite all the negativity around here. Playmaking improved and he was at least trying to catch the ball when he slipped over, unlike some other occasions this year. Having said that, some really sloppy passes from him too, and has anyone else noticed how often he falls as he catches the ball......looks like it's to avoid contact which helps when diffusing bombs close to the ingoal to prevent being driven back. Good tactic close to the line, not so much elsewhere on the field.

Oates - Another good night. I don't get the people bitching about 2 missed tries, the ball bounce totally screwed him over. He is a bit of a gumby sometimes, but highly unlikely anyone else scored those.

Isaako - Good night with the boot, can't say that his defence improved as the Dog's preferred to attack the other edge.

Jimmy - Quiet. I wish he went looking for the ball earlier in the game like hodgo used to. Nearly left it too late!

Sims/Sua/Glenn/Lodge - Great games, didn't take a backwards step.

TPJ - Gives us so much more. Forget the cloning, we'd be unstoppable if we could just get the other guys to have the same enthusiasm.

Milf - Really improving and controlling the game better. Kicking is light years better than it was. Nice pass for Glenn to score.

Niko - Didn't offer much that I saw in his limited time. Great 1 on 1 tackle on one of the Morris twins to force a dropout. Would have given him no chance.

Bird - Was the only player in sight chasing back after the break and unlucky to fall over. People are a bit harsh to say there was no effort. In my mind he is over thinking things, 50/50 run and pass to Jimmy, min of 20 touches a game should be 10 runs and 10 passes. He made 3 runs all night, which is atrocious.

Oppa - Was really found wanting and burned by Hopoate. Those more clued up than say he is a good defender. I'll give him a pass, just.

Macca - Guts'ed it out, but not his best game. Still better to have him back than not though.

Haas - Welcome to first grade. He'll come back stronger for it, but probably a good time to be brought down to earth. Hope he's not out for too long, we're short on forwards.

totally undeserved win. boyd and bird were pretty bad, though credit to boyd for chasing that ball in the last minute. bird though, geez, i had high hopes for him but he just doesn't offer anything. if the reports are true about his eating and attitude, sounds like he's a bit immature and the move up north away from his sanctuary has done the opposite to what you'd hope for.

take the 2 and run but man oh man we are not in contention at this current stage playing the way we are.

Definitely agree with the coaching statement. Bennett has lost it completely in my book. Swapping halves positions every game, mid game, taking Glenn off when he was one of our best and then putting an extremely fatigued TPJ on who was found out of position a couple times in his last stint (I do think TPJ was amazing, just should be in the middle).

This is why I can’t blame Bird too much about his performances so far, how can he excel when he’s playing in a position which he is obviously not cut out for (even if he thinks otherwise).

This is why I can’t blame Bird too much about his performances so far, how can he excel when he’s playing in a position which he is obviously not cut out for (even if he thinks otherwise).
Yeah. Also the way in which he has bulked up, all the talk about him playing lock etc that's likely what he prepared for. Then to be thrown in centre, 5/8th, halfback etc. Not fair on him. Yes he has been very disappointing, but he has been given the run around a bit.

It's times like this I'm very glad that Wayne doesn't listen to the fans.

Boyd is old and slow and has no work effort or urgency, so he'd be far better off playing in a position that is extremely technical defensively, requires split-second decision-making, ability to move laterally and turn either way instantly, and needs to cover for any weaknesses in the half who is next to them (centre). Genius.

Or move one of, if not, our shortest player to fullback, who hasn't played there since the 20's, has been completely exposed under the high ball the one time he was under them, and allegedly doesn't have any organisational ability.

Any criticism of Boyd coupled with Bennett being his father, and playing him at fullback for any reason other than being the best person for the job, just shows how compromised people's judgements are, and how quick they are to believe such inane bullshit.

I'll never give up on the Broncos but I can't say the same for the fanbase sometimes.

If Boyd somehow makes origin, I'd like to see Roberts go to fullback. He's the guy that needs to be touching the ball as much as possible.

Has anyone ever floated the idea of Roberts at 5/8 ? Steady now, before you jump down my throat about him needing space etc he appears to have a reasonable pass and I'm certain last nights winning kick isn't the first time I've seen his kicking game. Jimmy does seem to have a 'footie brain' and defensively I think he could cope.

I'm just putting it up for discussion, I'm not saying we should do it OR that it's a great idea.

If you hate the idea or have a hundred reasons why no could you list them.

Has anyone ever floated the idea of Roberts at 5/8 ? Steady now, before you jump down my throat about him needing space etc he appears to have a reasonable pass and I'm certain last nights winning kick isn't the first time I've seen his kicking game. Jimmy does seem to have a 'footie brain' and defensively I think he could cope.

I'm just putting it up for discussion, I'm not saying we should do it OR that it's a great idea.

If you hate the idea or have a hundred reasons why no could you list them.

He threw a couple good passes out of dummy half but my opinion hes got a shit pass, he barely ever passes to his winger because he loves to use his speed but when he does pass it looks so wonky.

Are you sure he was injured? I was sitting right near where he walked off and he seemed fine / looked angry to be taken off. I could be wrong though.

Yep, I was pretty much right by where our interchange was and he was definitely injured. Think Bennett mentioned it as well

Anyone think Wayne will stick with Bird at 7 next week after last nights antics? and barely no touches of the ball
Well, considering that he has suffered a quad injury and is next to no chance of suiting up on Sat, that option is nil. Look for Niko to reclaim the #7 and possibly a bench made up of forwards.

Jeez that was hard to watch.

The biggest takeaway from that game for me was the glaring problem with Boyd - he's not right.. Physically, mentally or both.

When he slipped over to miss that ball, that's understandable given the turf. But what happened next was very telling:
Our CAPTAIN, our leader and one of our most experienced players put his head down into the turf and looked defeated. He didn't secure the ball, he didn't look to make sure no dogs players picked it up, he just laid there broken in defeat while a dogs player picks it up and scoots 30m for them to score. A mistake is tolerable - that sort of attitude from our captain is inexcusable.

Then, for the entire second half he was scared of the ball. We see good fullbacks playing confidently attacking kicks on the full or picking them up after one bounce and bringing them back hard to start the set off on the front foot. Every kick which went near Boyd in the second half, he let it bounce multiple times more than he had to - unwilling to make a play at the ball and looking pretty terrified. It was frankly pretty embarrassing.

The bloke is playing with no confidence, no hunger and no drive. I'm not sure the issue but it's extremely worrying behaviour from our captain.

Well, considering that he has suffered a quad injury and is next to no chance of suiting up on Sat, that option is nil. Look for Niko to reclaim the #7 and possibly a bench made up of forwards.

Why dont we put Sam Scarlett in? or even troy dargan or todd? why did we buy Troy if we arent going to use him

Wow did you guys just hear Matty Johns saying that Darius Boyd was outstanding and everywhere tonight and must have been annoyed at all the critics?! Haha did he watch the game?

I thought Darius was the best on ground. Well until I saw Bird do the same thing.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.