Round 9 - Broncos vs Cowboys Pre-game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely hodges stays at 5/8 (well i think he should). He actually looked like a 5/8 compared to the garbage that hoffman has been showing in the same position. If hook plays the hoff at 5/8, that will be the last straw in terms of my opinion on him. Hodges (5/8).......Hoffman (wing/centre) is a much better option? surely?

I wouldn't be against giving those players a break and going with a line-up of...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Corey Oates
12. Corey Parker (c)
13. Matt Gillett

14. Jake Granville
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. David Hala
17. Todd Lowrie

Would probably be for the best in the long run.

would hope barba is close to 100% fit as possible. the rest we can survive without for a week.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Barba on the sideline this week.

He's been one of our worst players in recent times and clearly hasn't got confidence in himself. If his body isn't right, then maybe it'd be in everybody's best interest to give him the necessary time off and go with that Hoffman/Hodges combination which worked out really well for us last season.

Rest Barba! It's for the best, we'll need him at 100% through origin period, not at 60%

Barba needs to get his confidence back if he is to play at his best. I wouldn't mind seeing him dropped till that happens and Hodges playing at fullback.

I wouldn't be against giving those players a break and going with a line-up of...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Corey Oates
12. Corey Parker (c)
13. Matt Gillett

14. Jake Granville
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. David Hala
17. Todd Lowrie

For the best in the long run...still only 1 half.

I know, it isn't necessarily the 17 I'd like to see either but I can live with it as a one off to get Barba right for the rest of the season.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Corey Oates
12. Corey Parker (c)
13. Matt Gillett

14. Jake Granville
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. David Hala
17. Todd Lowrie

Good team, Pete. I'd put Maranta at fullback and Hoffman to wing (his best position). Lowrie should start as he doesn't make much of an impact off the bench, unlike Oates.

I originally had Lowrie named in the starting backrow for that reason, but talked myself out of it. Namely because I'm not a big fan of Todd, but also becuase I feel like his selection would be a passive option. Lowrie is a solid no-thrills workhorse who can do a job. That isn't the way I'd want to start this match, I think it's important that the Broncos come out all guns blazing and try and do everything to jag an early try and I believe Oates gives us that option more than Lowrie does.

While I believe Maranta is a better fullback than winger, he doesn't offer what I want out of a fullback on this occasion. I believe Hoffman is a safer option and his kick returns will be much more valuable from the fullback role. The biggest problem with Hoffman has always been his ability inside the opposition 20 but with Hodges there to fill in, I don't really see the need for Maranta.

After watching Barba play against the Knights, where, IMO, he was coming on song and was dangerous on both sides, how can anyone call for him to be dropped? WTF? I can't believe this.

Against the Rabbits, we had a mad hatters tea party structure and Barba looked lost, like a few others.

The only reason Barba ought to be dropped is if he is well and truly unfit to play.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Lachlan Maranta
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Justin Hodges (c)
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Corey Oates
12. Corey Parker (c)
13. Matt Gillett

14. Jake Granville
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. David Hala
17. Todd Lowrie

Good team but I would play Hodges at fullback and start with Glenn if he is match fit and if he is play Oates of the bench. Otherwise it's a very good team and I believe it's our strongest.

I was operating under the assumption that Glenn was out.

The idea of the Hoffman move to fullback, in case it wasn't clear, was that Hodges would switch to fullback inside the opposition's half. Hoffman would otherwise do all the heavy lifting as I have my doubts on whether Hodges' body could handle it.

After watching Barba play against the Knights, where, IMO, he was coming on song and was dangerous on both sides, how can anyone call for him to be dropped? WTF? I can't believe this.

Against the Rabbits, we had a mad hatters tea party structure and Barba looked lost, like a few others.

The only reason Barba ought to be dropped is if he is well and truly unfit to play.

Define well and truly? I don't see the benefit of having Barba race the clock just to be right to run out onto the field on Friday. Why risk it? Just give him another week off, ensure he's 100% and unleash him against the Titans at Suncorp a week later.

Last edited:
I was operating under the assumption that Glenn was out.

The idea of the Hoffman move to fullback, in case it wasn't clear, was that Hodges would switch to fullback inside the opposition's half. Hoffman would otherwise do all the heavy lifting as I have my doubts on whether Hodges' body could handle it.

Define well and truly? I don't see the benefit of having Barba race the clock just to be right to run out onto the field on Friday. Why risk it? Just give him another week off, ensure he's 100% and unleash him against the Titans at Suncorp a week later.

As I said, if he's not 100% then he ought not play. His performance v Knights was for mine, a sure sign he is on his way back and has a good combination with (cough cough) our new and terrific 5/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.