vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the Bulldogs game, there could be another week of "coach under pressure" headlines in the lead up if the Panthers lose today.

I just want to see us play as we did against the Roosters: expansive, ball moving, bodies moving, back row getting lots of ball but with a tighter and faster moving defence.

We can beat anyone, but not with the last 2 weeks style of heart attack game plans, featuring constant one out running and side to side passing, except for Boyd's great combination with Oates, and Knik beginning to explore the back row options with Gillo which I hope continues to grow when Hunt returns (who did it anyway against the Roosters).

I still can't get my head around why we changed from the Roosters game plan to the last 2 weeks garbage. It is largely, or solely Hunt's absence?

Straight after the roosters game Thaiday gave an Interview saying they wouldn't be playing that way again any time soon. Don't understand it at all

That may well be true yet it hardly helps our cause when we stand flat in attack so that by the time the 1st or 2nd receiver has the ball the defence are already on top of them. We lack depth, and again I will say it, our halves simply do not challenge the defensive line by running straight and hard at it from deeper positioning and having support runners positioned equally deep AND moving. We need to use our back rowers much more on the edges than keep running one out, one or 2 wide.

Our flat structures invite that defensive plan to which you correctly refer and it worked for them.

The Sharks game plan is how you beat the Storm: fast and furious defensive line speed targeting the play makers, and same for the kick chase, followed by depth in a wide, moving attacking formation with lots of ball movement.
I might be being a little unfair here and I usually don't like being overly negative but I want to know what this attacking wiz of a coach JD has brought to the table. Haven't seen anything yet that is overly different from what we dished up last year. If anything, we look more clueless out there than what we did in 2016.

You mentioned the Roosters game and why aren't we playing like that. I'll take that further and say why aren't we playing like we did in 2015? It's like chalk and cheese. After 2015, I thought we were building a dynasty that would win multiple premierships in the next 5 years and totally dominate. I feel we have gone so far backwards, that just making the 8 will be a good achievement.

I'm hoping that something will click soon and we'll be off and running like we did in 2015. But at the moment, I'm starting to have serious doubts for this year.

I might be being a little unfair here and I usually don't like being overly negative but I want to know what this attacking wiz of a coach JD has brought to the table. Haven't seen anything yet that is overly different from what we dished up last year. If anything, we look more clueless out there than what we did in 2016.

You mentioned the Roosters game and why aren't we playing like that. I'll take that further and say why aren't we playing like we did in 2015? It's like chalk and cheese. After 2015, I thought we were building a dynasty that would win multiple premierships in the next 5 years and totally dominate. I feel we have gone so far backwards, that just making the 8 will be a good achievement.

I'm hoping that something will click soon and we'll be off and running like we did in 2015. But at the moment, I'm starting to have serious doubts for this year.

Yep is the same reason I'm not getting my hopes up. Every round last year alot on here(myself included) kept saying " don't worry, the attack will come soon" but it never did. What the hell happened to 2015's form.

This will be another tough match at the office for the following reasons:

- with the bagging Milford and the refs are copping today and which will continue during the week - don't expect any favours. Will probably be the biggest stitch up of all time.

- This match dovetails perfectly with a game against Penrith. We have a nasty habit of playing shit sides back into form and the media love a good 'underdog' story so that will be the narrative this week.

- Griifin's record over Wayne Bennett is too one sided to be a fluke. He'll have his team up for this.

I'm sure this will all be corrected by the knowledgeable ones shortly, but JD was assistant coach at the Dragons last year and is our assistant coach this year...

Last year the Dragons attack sucked large hairy ones, this year it's great. Last year and 2015 in particular ours was great, now ours has latched onto the hairy ones...

Today afternoon game south Logan magpies vs Ipswich jets on channel nine at 1:30pm. In magpies team their are many Broncos contract player playing today. Jamayne Isaako, Travis Waddell, George Fai, Jaydn Su'a, Joe Boyce, Sam Lavea.

Straight after the roosters game Thaiday gave an Interview saying they wouldn't be playing that way again any time soon. Don't understand it at all

Maybe we are keeping it locked up until we make a run to the finals
I'm sure this will all be corrected by the knowledgeable ones shortly, but JD was assistant coach at the Dragons last year and is our assistant coach this year...

Last year the Dragons attack sucked large hairy ones, this year it's great. Last year and 2015 in particular ours was great, now ours has latched onto the hairy ones...

Wasn't he the cutters coach ????

Last year JD was in the dragon coaching box during the games. I don't know he was assistant coach or not.

Last year JD was in the dragon coaching box during the games. I don't know he was assistant coach or not.

Pretty sure he won nsw cup with the cutters after being assistant at the cowboys

Demetriou was the assistant coach and also the Cutters coach.

He didn't sign with St George until January. It's difficult for the players to buy in, especially when the draw was so tough for them at the start of the year.

Demetriou was the assistant coach and also the Cutters coach.

He didn't sign with St George until January. It's difficult for the players to buy in, especially when the draw was so tough for them at the start of the year.

So maybe there form this year is from his plan

I don't think their form this year or last year has anything to do with Demetriou.

Last year they had a difficult start to the season where they played Melbourne, Cronulla, North Queensland and Brisbane inside the first six weeks. They found themselves on the back-foot early and they just didn't have the depth whenever they'd suffer an injury.

They've addressed that and brought in Sims, Vaughan, McInnes and McDonald which has bolstered their side. The other bonus is that since Benji Marshall has left the club, it's allowed Gareth Widdop to play his natural game. When Benji was there, it seemed like both guys were in two minds of when to run the football and when to position the side for the next play. With McCrone handling that responsibility, it's allowed Widdop to embrace his running game and the Dragons are a lot more dangerous as a result.

Demetriou isn't apart of the draw, nor was he apart of recruitment and retention, so how he's copping it I'm not so sure.

I can't see a win here. Griffin will have them up to give us hell. Cartwright will be better for last week. Their offloads and second phase play always hurt us. Our 5th tackle options need to improve. And we are down strike benchies.
Plus. They need a win. Badly

Last edited:

Dude. It takes time! And we lost our halfback. You're knee jerking like all them journalists who always doubt doubt doubt. Trust.. Faith. We are the Broncos. We will not settle for mediocre systems

I've seen us throw the ball around without any real aim or direction against the Titans, but then I've seen almost every other team do the same this year too. It's a little weird, though it created some entertaining moments, like the Dogs try. Seems like a lot of teams are struggling with their attack this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Culhwch
  • Stix
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Lurker
  • broncsgoat
  • azza.79
  • HarryAllan7
  • BooKhaki
  • Horseheadsup
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Sproj
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.