Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
I think the whole ‘Macca is a defensive gun’ and the ‘look how bad our defense will be without him’ has been grossly exaggerated over the years based on one eyed fans just looking purely at how many tackles he makes a game on the stats sheet.

Look he is semi reliable and plugs a gap but it’s not like he has a Victor Radley-esque tackle technique where he can cut blokes twice his size down one on one. Also he is not a big body that can wrestle and dominate guys one on one and win the ruck.

How many of his 40-50 odd tackles a game are him just wrapping up the ball carrier with the aid of 1 or 2 other defenders? Besides his tackle counts the only other decent thing about his defense is he doesn’t usually leave gaps in the line probably because he is too slow to shoot out of the line and put a shot on anyway. Reed Mahoney can do the exact same job for Parra with the similar tackle counts yet still have some sort of semblance of an attacking game and he is in his second season of first grade. I have also noticed Reed has been kicking a lot more for Parra out of dummy half recently and with quality as well. Mahoney must be licking his lips knowing an origin jersey is going to be almost a given if Macca is his main competition in years to come.

So don’t give me this ‘oh we are fucked defensively without Macca’ bullshit because it’s an absolute cop out. Our defense has been disgusting even with him there. If you want to know what’s wrong with our defense, start with looking at the the arm grabbing techniques of Anthony Milford and James Roberts and then maybe look at our brain dead wingers who pick the wrong moments to rush in off their wings. Then look at our rubbish defensive structures where we struggle to wrap up the ball to prevent second phase play which causes us to be ok the back foot half of the time.

Very true, post contact metres backwards is proportional to all the 40+ tackles he makes.

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
I wonder if Isaako is just being prepared for NRL fullback role? Maybe give Boyd a break?

Doh.... beaten to it lol
I'd hope not. I'd prefer Bird at fullback as he's played there already. I don't see why Issako should be in front of Bird for such a critical position.

Considering the money he is on Bird to fullback just makes sense.

bronx89

bronx89

QCup Player
Nov 20, 2014
Honestly how is boyd still in this team (at least not even moved.)
I’d have Roberts in over boyd, Roberts only let 1 try in on the weekend, whereas Darius let 2 in and has been letting them in all year.
Seibs, get it sorted.
I would prefer to put Roberts at fullback. Roberts can’t defend but Atleast he would run it. Boyd should be in ISC this weekend.

Nepal Donkeys

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
I can't be the only one who doesn't particularly rate Turpin. Willing to give him a shot but fk, this could be dire.

2 more losses in the next 2 weeks and we're cooked (if not already). Time to go full on rebuild then.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
You reckon they'd prefer to make Macca tired in the 60th minute rather than just run over Milford and Nikorima and get guaranteed points from the 1st minute onwards?

I’m pretty sure they’re doing that as well.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Addin Fonua-Blake and Lachlan Croker have been ruled out.

If we lose, I'm done.

Matheos

Matheos

NYC Player
Apr 4, 2014
I don’t know the media reaction and pressure up there, but being from Sydney we have been hammered by every expert and made the wrong headlines all weekend. Everywhere you look “no effort”, “lack of trying”, “poor attack”, “shambles defensively”, etc.

Off the back of this scrutiny and the attitude and integrity of the players being questioned, I am expecting a monumental effort and determination against Manly.
This is our grand final in front of a sellout. Lose and September is over in May.

If we do not see it, if a team can’t lift and prove a point in this spot, then I will be 100% convinced this playing group is dead and buried.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Macca out = we will win.

That's my call.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Macca out? He should take a few months off to make sure he's totally healthy before coming back to first grade.

I'm not exactly sold on Turpin even being first grade standard though and we absolutely should go to market.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.