Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Yeah, this is the type of stuff we haven't seen at the Broncos in... forever.
It was a set play. It requires the half back to visualize the fullbacks engagement. He is clued on Dearden. Hope the young fella just keeps getting better as it seems this kid has that ability to create time with the ball in hand. He just doesn't look rushed.

I swear I've seen more set plays this year under Seibold than I have in the previous 4 under Bennett. I love it!! To me that's what rugby league is all about.

Melbourne pulls them off with regularity all the time. It used to make me jealous to watch and I wondered why we never seemed capable of doing it. Bennett seemed to focus on the simple stuff more than anything and whilst it is still effective in the modern game, I believe the coaches who have more strings to their bow are the ones having the success these days.

Here we goooooooooo:

1. Boyd - That's the way lad! Excellent game from the captain, so much better than most of his games in the last 18 months. He bought the energy and his team followed, he really led from the front. More of that please. 8
2. Oates - Had a diamonds game instead of a rocks and diamonds game. How did he not score on that run off Milf. Regardless, that red zone in-field run is a real weapon, has resulted in at least two tries and probably should have been a third in this game. It is so hard to read and see coming and Oates runs fantastic lines for them. He is so so valuable with his runs and genuine star ability. 8
3. Staggs - I love this kid. He wants to play for the Broncs and you can see it in everything he does. Has future star written all over him and more than happy to favour him over Jimmy. This is a kid who is a born competitor and so calm in everything he does. He is already very good but can't help feeling there is another 2 or 3 levels more left in this kid. 7
4. Bird - Playing on the right is the way forward for Bird. It is such a shame he blew his knee out and on such a good run as well. He is shaping up to be one of the Broncs biggest dud signings ever BUT at least it isn't his fault now. He looked fantastic on the right, hopefully that is his position moving forward from next season when he returns. Doesn't get a higher score because of leaving the game so early, he was excellent before that. 7
5. Shibasaki - Nope, still not sold on this guy. Now, I'm going to throw this out there, when he runs he reminds me of Gerard Beale. So he runs like Beale, has the hands of origin debut Hodges, the pace of Maranta/Manihera and has impressed as much as Whitchurch. Yeah, I obviously don't rate him BUT I would like him to at least be given the chance at centre now Bird is gone to at least see if he does indeed have something I have not seen at all yet. 3
6. Milford - His forwards get on top and look what he can do. I think Dearden and Turpin absolutely help him. He is catching balls on the run and with time and space. He still has defensive issues but he isn't the worst half in the game defensively by any means. I really think the calmness and time Dearden seems to have is going to be great for Milf moving forward. 8
7. Dearden - I love this kid. Someone else has already mentioned it but he seems to be able to do something already that most halves takes years to develop - he has time. He seems to be able to play in slower motion than other players and it allows him to sum things up on the run. Don't get me wrong, he has really only been solid thus far but it is just the signs amongst all that that leads to the hype and excitement. He has a future. 7
8. Lodge - I wasn't that impressed. I am not sure if it is because so many other forwards for so good or simply because he is actually a step down on what he was producing earlier in the season. He was still good, just feel he might be carrying an injury or something. 6
9. Turpin - I LOVED his game once again. Every time he has stepped up into first grade, he has looked like he belongs. He got the side on the front foot, he made good pass choices and kept the defense guessing. He gave away a couple of penalties which is bad and an error, though I felt that error had help from the defender. He didn't make as many tackles as Macca but he has a sting in him, a bit Ian Lacey style with that. I would happily have him at 9 over Macca if he produced a game like that most weeks. Next week is a far bigger test though. 7
10. Haas - What else needs to be said that hasn't already? He is a machine and at such a young age. It is indeed very scary to think what he may end up becoming in a year or three. He could definitely add an offload and a bigger hit but that can come. He already is an amazing player. 8
11. Glenn - He was very energetic as always. I think Glenn is a bit like Daniel Rich from the Brisbane Lions in a way. They both are fantastic in sides that are doing well but don't really have that ability to lift a side not doing so well. Regardless, they will give their all 100% of the time. The kind of guys that are really nice to have when your side is doing well. 7
12. Gillett - Did he get concussed early? It is such a shame Bird is gone for the season. I felt even after the 60+ minutes they had togehter that that edge looked so much tighter. Dearden's defense aids with that for sure. Gillett though still runs around like a headless chicken at times. The run for the try was quality though. 5
13. Flegler - I love what this kid offers. He is not as impactful as earlier in the season but that is ok. He has such skills and agility for a big man. He will learn to pace himself over the next few seasons and start throwing in the needed big hit or big run when he senses it. He is going to be a Qld and Aussie rep for years to come. 7

14. Carrigan - There was a lot of Arrow about his performance, hence the comparisons that have occurred for such a long time. He makes so many post-contact metres and cleans up so much in defense. He is an extremely exciting prospect. I would be playing him at 13 moving forward. If he can also develop an offload, that would be amazing. 8
15. Fifita - Still don't feel that Siebs is using him correctly. He needs more minutes. Yes, he is a good impact forward but he is built to be playing long minutes and being given opportunities to break games open. Nice try highlighting how much strength he has for someone so young. 6
16. Pangai Jr - He was really quite good. I really feel that the one-two punch of Him and Joffa off the bench is a massive trump card for the Broncs. They are both good enough to be starting for most clubs and that means the intensity never really drops off. He sets the bar so freakishly high due to the Cows game but no one can produce that kind of game week-in, week-out but he was still highly effective. 7
17. Ofahenguae - For me, he was the MOTM, plain and simple. He got the contract done, so can focus on his game. I do see him as the ideal 13 and e could take that spot if you think Carrigan isn't quite ready yet. Excellent in both attack and defense. 9

8. Lodge - I wasn't that impressed. I am not sure if it is because so many other forwards for so good or simply because he is actually a step down on what he was producing earlier in the season. He was still good, just feel he might be carrying an injury or something. 6

Damn, you're a tough marker mate ...

in only 48 mins, Lodge had 17 runs for 169m and 22 tackles (missing only 1)

Last edited:
Damn, you're a tough marker mate ...

in only 48 mins, Lodge had 17 runs for 169m and 22 tackles (missing only 1)

Well...yeah. I don't have any way of countering. Call me wrong.

Just want to say this about Turpin: I did notice a fair few of his passes were a little high (players had to jump or catch at head height) which adds a second to the catch but consider that his nerves must be cranking considering the pressure he prob placed on himself to seize his opportunity. Then consider any time lost on the high passes is easily negated by the speed he picks the ball up and passes from the ground. Even more so in his favour he scoots forward shaping his shoulder left and right so the defence has no idea where he's going to go. He moves with intent and has unreal game awareness. He tackles with sting and hammers himself into tackles (just listen to the sound on a lot of upper body tackles he makes), especially when he is first in. He is one of those players which steps up for the nrl. We are idiots if we let him rot at reddy. Excellent effort and energy. Hooker should be the epicentre of energy and when your hooker is trying his heart out the energy rubs off on the players around him. Give yourself a pat on the back young fella.

Last edited:
he may not be the flashiest prop around ... but the guy just keeps churning out those meters

What more do you ask of a prop.. big metres, effective tackles and minimal errors

1. Boyd - I said this 2 weeks ago and it remains true, his biggest problem is consistency. Good, bad, good, bad and now he's had his good one again. Doesn't bode well for his performance against the Roosters but I am dearly hoping he proves me wrong. Ran with intent, tackled solidly and was communicating all night. Also didn't flap his wings at the refs all night from memory. 7
2. Oates - Scored a good try, came damn close to getting a double (WHY did he not reach out?) and had a great night with his hands. Now that Bird is gone, he is comfortably our best outside back. Lets hope he can go on with it. Would not be surprised to see him selected for QLD. 7
3. Staggs - He has earned his starting spot in my opinion. He is gonna be some player. Every run he had was full of energy and intent. Had the Manly defence on the back peddle all night, in particular when he set Milf up for his try. Roberts can thank his lucky stars that Bird has gone down cause he would have really struggled to fight his way back in. 8
4. Bird - Moved back to his preferred side, immediately looked like reclaiming his Cronulla era best, then goes down with a cruel ACL injury. The footy gods are harsh. He is definitely no quitter and I hope that mentality sees him through to next year. Good luck Birdy. 7
5. Shibasaki - Easily our most underwhelming of the night. Made one good run down the edge, showed a glimpse of some good speed but was pretty comfortably wrapped up by the Manly fullback. Hardly made Isaako squirm I would have thought. It wasn't his preferred position though so a bit more benefit of the doubt wouldn't be misplaced. Can't see him keeping Roberts out of the centres though to be honest. 5
6. Milford - It's no coincidence that in our last 2 wins, Milf has been our best on ground. When he is firing, the team is firing. It's just a shame he can't seem to do that every week. His 40/20 was beautifully executed, mostly held his own in defence and for the first time in what feels like forever, ran the ball off a great run from Staggs and netted a try. He also put up a gorgeous torpedo bomb that Manly were VERY lucky to hang on to. Find some consistency Milf, we really need it. 9
7. Dearden - He is definitely still in that "finding his feet" stage of his development, and within that framework I am very happy with him. His short kicking game is very good and he needs to start utilizing it more. He defends very stoutly for an 18 year old half which is also a great sign. He seems to be gelling well with Milf and if this talk of us chasing Walker is true (to play in the halves), Seibold has rocks in his head. 7
8. Lodge - 169 metres and 22 tackles, I don't know how you could ask for much more from a prop. He is the engine room and making good metres is all he should be trying to do. Nobody ever expected anything flashy from the likes of Petero and Webby, I don't see why Lodge should be any different. Happy to hear we are looking to extend him. He will only get better with age. 7
9. Turpin - Gave away some silly errors and penalties, but I'm happy to put that down to some rust from not playing first grade for quite awhile, and not much of it to begin with. Even at only 3 games, Stevie Wonder could see he offers a tonne more for us in attack than McC, and him and Segeyaro have the potential to offer us a very good hooker rotation. He got dudded out of a chance to own his spot last time, lets hope it doesn't happen again. 7
10. Haas - Gee whiz this kid is some sort of freakshow. Playing that many minutes at his size and work rate, it can barely be called natural. If this is how good he is at such a young age, he will be the best prop in the game in not too long. He hasa said he owes the club after his poor start to the season and so far he has more than delivered. Thank **** we have locked him up long term. 9
11. Glenn - I've been on record with not thinking much of Alex as a player, but even I have to admit he was very good on Friday night. Ran with intent, bent the line, made a few half breaks and seemed to be leading the young forwards barking orders and motivating. If he can produce that every week I am quite happy to keep him on all the way to retirement. 8
12. Gillett - Was happy to see him score a try but the credit lies with Milf's brilliant kick which Gillo basically took on his tits. Otherwise he looks lost out there, not making many metres post contact and being outplayed by Glenn and the youth. I am concerned for him. He has not come back from his hiatus the same player, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang them up in the not too distant future. 5
13. Flegler - He definitely isn't offering as much as he was early in the season starting at Lock, but he isn't shaming himself either. How Seibold can't see that bench impact prop is his best role going forward is beyond me. He would be a monster coming on late in the half against tired opposition. Carrigan should be starting, it's just beyond question. 6

14. Carrigan - Probably his best performance in first grade. Plenty of metres, post contact and otherwise and defended really well. The Arrow comparisons are not misplaced. He should be starting by all rights and playing as many minutes as he can manage. Wolfie should be very pleased with his development. 7
15. Fifita - To be honest he is lucky he barged over for that try late because up until that point, I really wasn't all that happy with him. Maybe it's the coach not using him right, I don't know to be honest, but for all of the hype behind him he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire, especially compared to the likes of Haas, Carrigan and Flegler. 5
16. TPJ - I don't get the hate he is copping to be honest. We were well on the back foot when he came on, and his intensity and offloads turned the games momentum in a hurry. He may not have made many metres, but he had the Manly defenders filling their dacks with every touch regardless, and that sort of intimidation is a valuable asset in and of itself. I'm happy with him, but he does need to lift his game if he wants big money. 7
17. Joe O - A simply superb bench forward performance. A shit tonne of metres and tackles and no errors or stupid penalties. He is another one who needs to work on his consistency but when he is on, damn is he a good forward. I still think he is very suited to a LAM style bench motor role to keep the momentum going. 9

I think Fifita is slowly getting transitioned to be the left edge second rower and will likely replace Glenn at some point this year

He's been a right side player his whole life though, so maybe they should look at moving Gillett to the left (I believe he played left side in his early Broncos days??), would also help Milf in defence. Dearden's defence seems like he doesn't require a bodyguard anyway.

Get Sua on the left at magpies to eventually claim the position off Gillett probably at the end of 2020

Fifita is a weapon on the right side so get him out there building a combo with Dearden.... and also hurry the **** up and lock him down long term.

Dfif should be the highest priority re-signing on our list

I thought it took the Broncos a long time to get going on Friday night. For the opening thirty minutes, Manly were the better team and Brisbane struggled to put any pressure on them either giving them piggy-back penalties outside of their half or putting in an awful kick chase to let a reserve grade winger make 60 odd metres in one run. Fortunately for the Broncos, the Sea Eagles were missing a lot of attacking weapons and their attack was pedestrian at best. Manly were without T. Trbojevic, Taufua, Walker, Croker, Cherry-Evans, Fonua-Blake and they lost Suli, Koroisau and Sipley during the game so they did well to play as well as they did.

The game opened up when both teams went to the bench. The loss of Suli made the Sea Eagles weaker on the edges since they had to move Gosiewski there to cover and allowed the Broncos to gain some ascendency in the ruck. With Pangai on the field, the Broncos started to shift the ball more and Ofahengaue and Carrigan did a better job of bending the line than Boyle or Tanginoa did for the Sea Eagles. This difference eventually saw the Broncos target the Sea Eagles around the fringes where they were able to give Milford just enough space to score a trademark try of his.

From that point on, the Broncos were never headed. The momentum of the game shifted, Manly's defence started getting weaker, giving Brisbane more opportunities at the line and Brisbane were good enough to take advantage of them. I thought the kicking game from Milford was pretty smart. Manly to their credit were still getting off their line really well and creating pressure on the outside men for Brisbane, so the kick behind the lines was the right action and something that you don't often see from Brisbane, or at least not executed well from Brisbane.

I still think if Brisbane were playing good footy, they would have racked up more tries. They had Manly on toast after 55 minutes and were entitled to score more than 26 points, but I think it's a sympton of having a new look team. While a lot of focus has been put on the Sea Eagles and their injury woes, we can't lose sight on the Broncos playing with so many inexperienced players.

3. Kotoni Staggs (6th NRL Game At Centre)
5. Gehamat Shibasaki (1st NRL Game At Wing)
7. Tom Dearden (2nd NRL Game; 18 Years of Age)
9. Jake Turpin (1st NRL Game At Hooker)
10. Payne Haas (5th NRL Game In the Middle)
13. Thomas Flegler (2nd NRL Game In The Middle)

14. Patrick Carrigan (4th NRL Game)
15. David Fifita (20th NRL Game; 19 Years Old)

Brisbane also lost Bird, Pangai Jr and Ofahengaue during various stages of play, so for all this chatter about Manly, we need to keep in mind the Broncos are still far from a settled side in their own right.

Another sympton of having a new look team is the over-reliance on set-plays. The Broncos are relying too heavily on their left edge for points and it's allowing opposition defences to over-load that side of the field. Dearden had a couple of good touches, but he needs to call more ball and link more with Milford and Boyd. The Broncos ought to try and spread the field more and use their speed, foot-work and skill-set of their forward pack to try and catch the opposition out around the middle.

As a team, I think we can all agree that the Broncos still have a lot they need to fix up. However, there were some fantastic individual performances, particularly from Payne Haas. He's been doing some special things this year, and I think he took his game to another level on Friday. I don't think the Kangaroos have any fixtures this year which is a joke in of itself, but if they did, he'd be a part of the squad. In fact, by rights he should be in the NSW Squad for Game I either in the squad or as the first drop for the front row.

5. Gehamat Shibasaki (1st NRL Game At Wing)
9. Jake Turpin (1st NRL Game At Hooker)

Turpin has played 3 games. 3 wins from 3 games, in fact.
Shibasaki has also played 3 games. Two off the bench, one starting on the wing. 2 wins from 3 games.

Last edited:
Exactly. Attempt at mind reading ignored.
1st nrl game AT wing
1st nrl game AT hooker....

They both played both their previous nrl games starting off the bench. No mind reading needed

1st nrl game AT wing
1st nrl game AT hooker....

They both played both their previous nrl games starting off the bench. No mind reading needed

I don't recall Jake playing any other position but hooker, off the bench or otherwise.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • porouian
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • MrRobot
  • Bucking Beads
  • Redux
  • Broncosgirl
  • Spoon
  • Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.