RUMOR: Ben Te'o to Brisbane

He played an impact role for the Rabbits IIRC, and turned a few matches when he came on.i thought he was in the best form of his career the year he left. Can he recreate that form after a year on the bludge? If he could, he'd be a good pickup.

I think, if we get him, he'll come off the bench and play predominantly in the middle.

I think, if we get him, he'll come off the bench and play predominantly in the middle.

A player of his caliber doesn't need to go to a team who aren't going to put him on the run on side.

I always thought Teo was a little lazy and struggled to cover in defense from the inside, especially late in each half. Good player though, and wouldn't be against it if it didn't blow the bank too much.

You've got to remember, Te'o never wanted to leave the club in the first place. He loved his time in Brisbane and really filled out his potential after a disappointing exit at the Tigers. Souths signed him, but he hated the culture down in Sydney. Especially the media who hounded him and started a huge moral panic without getting their facts straight. If he was to come back, we'd be his first preference and I'm sure he'd sacrifice a few $$$ to potentially play for another premiership at a club he loves.

If there was an option where we could choose and potentially pick up Israel Folau for a similar price, then I'd be all for signing Izzy but that's about as likely as a Grand Final replay. If you've got a player like Te'o who wants to come back and is willing to compromise his value, then by all means sign him.

I actually think it would be a handy signing as well. I thought we really needed an edge backrow replacement towards the end of the finals series. It was clear that Alex Glenn was struggling with injury and we needed someone to replace him. Unfortunately all we had was Stagg or Lowrie.

Down the road, I honestly believe S'ua has what it takes to crack first grade. If he can improve on his break-out year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in 2017. He's only 17 years old, but there were games where he was just destroying teams down the fringe. Good teams as well, not junk teams like NYC sides like Cronulla or St George.

You've got to remember, Te'o never wanted to leave the club in the first place. He loved his time in Brisbane and really filled out his potential after a disappointing exit at the Tigers. Souths signed him, but he hated the culture down in Sydney. Especially the media who hounded him and started a huge moral panic without getting their facts straight. If he was to come back, we'd be his first preference and I'm sure he'd sacrifice a few $$$ to potentially play for another premiership at a club he loves.

If there was an option where we could choose and potentially pick up Israel Folau for a similar price, then I'd be all for signing Izzy but that's about as likely as a Grand Final replay. If you've got a player like Te'o who wants to come back and is willing to compromise his value, then by all means sign him.

I actually think it would be a handy signing as well. I thought we really needed an edge backrow replacement towards the end of the finals series. It was clear that Alex Glenn was struggling with injury and we needed someone to replace him. Unfortunately all we had was Stagg or Lowrie.

Down the road, I honestly believe S'ua has what it takes to crack first grade. If he can improve on his break-out year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in 2017. He's only 17 years old, but there were games where he was just destroying teams down the fringe. Good teams as well, not junk teams like NYC sides like Cronulla or St George.

Yeah I like the look of Su'a, very damaging for someone of his age, hope we have signed him long term.

If someone gets a chance could they please copy and paste what Paul Kent said about Ben Teo and the cap today in the courier mail. For some reason it won't let me open it

If someone gets a chance could they please copy and paste what Paul Kent said about Ben Teo and the cap today in the courier mail. For some reason it won't let me open it 

Nothing worth mentioning, it was just a typical "Broncos have such an advantage because of 3rd party deals" Paul Kent article, he said we don't even have close to enough to sign Te'o for next season, but we'll find a way, potentially after the season starts next year.

Also worth noting is Ben's missus moved back to Brisbane recently, which obviously helps our cause.

external
BRISBANE are still dusting off their hangovers from Sunday night’s grand final but already Next Year’s Team that surprisingly nearly emerged as This Year’s Team is about to get stronger.

Just days after the grand final, the Broncos were linked to a *return to the NRL for Ben Te’o.
The irony of rugby league is that often the less said about something the more chance it is of happening and the Broncos have been overwhelmingly silent on this.
Te’o is playing at Leinster and, with another year to run, would seem at strong odds to remain in Ireland.
Unless, of course, his partner has already moved back to Brisbane, which she already has.
Te’o can’t simply follow because the NRL has this little thing called the salary cap, which is designed to stop clubs like the Broncos securing all the talent, like they used to do.
Even the Broncos’ absolute advantage with third-party corporate sponsorships can’t help entirely.
The NRL refuses to reveal how much each club spends on third-party agreements because it would swiftly negate the game’s great claim about how even the salary cap makes the competition.
Several times in recent weeks NRL boss Dave Smith has quoted the evenness of the competition, the great boast of the NRL, even though it no longer completely adds up.
d6caef5f6bdc450c1b604ecf0bb89c30
Ben Te'o could be on his way back to the NRL Picture: Gregg PorteousWhile there was a period during the season when the gap between first and last was the closest ever, it had stretched by season’s end.
The top eight was decided a week out from the finals and once we got into the finals none of the bottom-four teams was able to beat the top-four teams.
Uncapped third-party agreements are causing the great *divide in the NRL.
The Broncos can’t simply push Te’o in on a reduced contract and hope the wonderfully generous Brisbane business community will see fit to reward him with third-party deals because there is also this idea of a notional contract value.
It says the NRL salary cap auditors reserve the right to judge a player’s minimal value unless some kind of funny business might be going on, such as reducing a player’s salary cap value while making up his true value with third-party deals.
Unless, of course, what can’t be done has actually already been done before. Before Mark Gasnier returned to the Dragons in June 2010, he began talks with Red V coach Wayne Bennett the previous December.
So why not bring Te’o into the club under similar circumstances as Gasnier?
It couldn’t possibly happen.
19bf19b1b275f7fc8e81b4f945910f65
Ben Te'o is currently overseas playing rugby in Ireland. Picture: Brett CostelloIt would be virtually impossible for Te’o to join the club right away. There is no room in the salary cap and the NRL would be in no mind to allow the Broncos to plead, because he was returning from European rugby and did not play in the NRL this season, for a reduced value.
Unless, of course, Te’o returned after next season started or perhaps some way into it and pleaded diminished value.
Unless, of course, he pleaded some kind of hardship and the NRL saw the value in welcoming him back to show why the good ones leave for rugby union but always come back.
And so he would go into the Broncos’ salary cap at tier-two level. That would still leave Te’o at some financial disadvantage.
Unless, of course, while Te’o was biding his time he played this summer in Japan, earning a lot of money for minimal wear and tear that would also, fortunately, make up for the reduced Broncos contract.
Then he could return next season sometime after round one. It sounds crazy, even far-fetched. Unless, of course ...
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...m-to-the-broncos/story-fniabjcr-1227560937609

This is probably not as silly as it sounds. If he came later in the year in 2016, he would be good cover for the Origin period and after, would be significantly cheaper and then for 2017 and beyond, the Barba/Kennedy money is not an issue.

That's the penalty you get (losing players to stronger clubs via TPAs) for being a shit house club that's barely keeping your head above water in a national competition. If you want to keep your precious Sydney sides, then this is what you get.

The rorters get away with blatantly cheating the cap, but I haven't heard Kent have a whinge about them.

Paul Kent is a POS. The very fact they gave him a TV show to dribble his bullshit on is pathetic.

Hodges, Vidot, Dodds, Stagg and Lowrie all leaving but apparently Te'o would take up five players salaries.

Right.

Hodges, Vidot, Dodds, Stagg and Lowrie all leaving but apparently Te'o would take up five players salaries.

Right.

4 of those guys were on virtually minimum allowable salary, and we used all of that money on re-signing Kahu, Glenn, Thaiday.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.