RUMOR: Ben Te'o to Brisbane

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
@Tiger_CMail Te'o to Brisbane, how likely is it?
ico_verified-1407009642236.png
@Tiger_CMail
quite likely

That's me, btw. I asked him myself.

**** yeah. Te'o will be a monster outside Milf

Last edited:
Dat formatting.

Yeah he'd be an awesome pick-up, would give us an upgrade on Glenn (Whom I still have a spot for in our team, maybe just as a utility / impact player off the bench, along with Sammy.)

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Te'o
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Glenn
16. Thaiday
17. Wallace / Gavet / Ofahengaue / Molo

This would be a massive coup. He is the kind of forward we need. Able to play big minutes, bruising in defence and able to run great lines. As IBM said, can you imagine him running off Milford or hunt? Beautiful.

Here is the story on the CM site.

Only subscribers can access it, so I have copied & pasted.

Brisbane Broncos aim to lure Ben Te’o back to NRL next season
PETER BADEL

FORMER Maroons hitman Ben Te’o is on Brisbane’s radar as coach Wayne Bennett looks for more forward firepower to take the Broncos to their seventh premiership.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos have been in secret talks with Te’o and will bring the 106kg enforcer to Red Hill next season if they can fit him into their salary cap.

The signing of the fearsome Te’o would be a huge coup for the Broncos as the club looks to hit back from Sunday night’s heartbreaking 17-16 grand-final loss to the Cowboys.

The 28-year-old is playing rugby with Irish club Leinster, but he has flagged a return to rugby league and the Broncos are front runners to secure him.

Te’o, who won a premiership at Souths last season, has strong links to Queensland and the Broncos. The Keebra Park product played 75 games for

Brisbane between 2009-12 and represented the Maroons in seven Origin games before his move offshore last year.

During this year’s Origin campaign, Te’o briefly returned to Brisbane to visit family and friends and maintained fitness by working out at the Broncos gymnasium.

Now Bennett is keen to have Te’o back permanently, but his return is contingent upon a number of factors, chiefly Brisbane’s salary cap position.

Te’o could easily command upwards of $500,000 a season on the open market.

That presents a financial challenge for the Broncos, who forked out millions last year to sign big-name recruits Darius Boyd, Anthony Milford and Adam Blair.

The club has also issued a slew of contractual upgrades to prop Josh McGuire, forwards Sam Thaiday and Alex Glenn, halfback Ben Hunt and gun utility Jordan Kahu.

But Bennett is a huge fan of Te’o’s hitting power and he would bring an intimidating edge to the Broncos pack. The retirement of skipper Justin Hodges helps free up funds, while prop Mitchell Dodds’ departure to Warrington opens up a spot in Brisbane’s 17-man squad.

The timing of any move is equally crucial. Te’o’s Leinster deal expires next May, meaning the back-rower would miss the opening months of the 2016 NRL season unless the Irish club grants him an early release.

In June, Te’o, who has played 151 games since his debut for Wests Tigers in 2007, revealed a comeback to the NRL was a genuine possibility.

“I think it (playing Irish rugby) was something I needed to do because I needed to go away for a bit,” he told News Limited.

“I never rule out coming back to rugby league ... I do miss the build-up, all the support and the fans.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/brisbane-broncos-aim-to-lure-ben-teo-back-to-nrl-next-season/story-fnp0lyn6-1227557928866?login=1

I didn't copy the entire story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Te'o will be good for us, but not worth the money at $500k. If we can get him for $350k it'd be worth it. Not because he's not worth that money, but because of the impact it would have on our cap. If we could offload Glenn then I'd be for it.

I don't think he's quite as elite as everyone seems to think. Like the Roosters back-rowers behind their props, Te'o was always going to look impressive with a wall of Burgii having already pushed and scattered the defensive line. But I'd take him.

To would be great for us IMO.

More mongrel to the pack, and a seasoned campaigner who'd bring good experience to the younger guys in the squad.

Trouble is, how would we fit him in ? Who would make way ?

Joe O, Wallace and Gavet all deserve a shot again next year, and i can't see him replacing Gillett or Thaiday in the starting side.

Glenn might be the loser out of this deal it would appear.

I think Te'o will be good for us, but not worth the money at $500k. If we can get him for $350k it'd be worth it. Not because he's not worth that money, but because of the impact it would have on our cap. If we could offload Glenn then I'd be for it.

I don't think he's quite as elite as everyone seems to think. Like the Roosters back-rowers behind their props, Te'o was always going to look impressive with a wall of Burgii having already pushed and scattered the defensive line. But I'd take him.

500k isn't that much in todays game. I'd be happy to give him as much as we can afford, but only AFTER everyone deserving of their upgrades get them. It probably helps that we didn't win, as we don't have GF bonuses to pay.

We don't need him but it would be a bonus if we get him assuming we can get him cheap.
However we are stacked in the second row with Parker, Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday, & Oates capable of playing there not to mention Blair.
I would have preferred we re-sign Dodds than spend the money on Teo who is really only a money hungry mercenary.

Yeah, but he could be our money-hungry mercenary!

I'd be happy to have him back, but I don't think he's a necessity. As has been said we do have pretty good backrow stocks. But he does fit the kind of pack we seem to be building, to make the most of the new interchange rules.

500k isn't that much in todays game. I'd be happy to give him as much as we can afford, but only AFTER everyone deserving of their upgrades get them. It probably helps that we didn't win, as we don't have GF bonuses to pay.

It's not that much, but it is when you don't have the money to spend.

I would love to have Te'o back.

He runs great lines and he has that mongrel in him. He is a better option than Glenn on that left side and he could form a very lethal combination with Milford.

Having him on that left side will improve our attack and defence.

500k? Meh.. The cap is increasing, isn't it?

Last edited:
It's not that much, but it is when you don't have the money to spend.

Surely there's something in the bank. I could of sworn i read an article stated we were playing $750-800K under the cap this year. Hodgo is gone aswell

Surely there's something in the bank. I could of sworn i read an article stated we were playing $750-800K under the cap this year. Hodgo is gone aswell

I read that we were paying that much to players no longer here (Barba & Kennedy). And that Hodges & Doddage going just allows us to upgrade the other contracts. If we had room, surely Sammy T would have been a done deal a while ago.

It's also worth noting that Parker will likely be retiring after next season, so if we could get Te'o, that'd be securing a replacement Lock for at least 2-3 years post-Parker era.

I read that we were paying that much to players no longer here (Barba & Kennedy). And that Hodges & Doddage going just allows us to upgrade the other contracts. If we had room, surely Sammy T would have been a done deal a while ago.

I thought I read the Thaiday situation was an agreement between him and the club. Keep playing like a busted asshole, no contract, play well, contract.

I think part of the reason why it was taking so long for Thaiday to be re-signed is because the NRL took their time approving TPA deals.

Do you even understand what 500K and 350K mean in the current climate?

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.