RUMOUR: Eels interested in Hunt

Let's realistically rank the halfbacks of the compeition at the start of the season:

Thurston (Cowboys)
Cronk (Storm)
Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
Reynolds (Rabbitohs)
Foran(Eels)
Hunt (Broncos)
Pearce (Roosters)
Johnson (Warriors)
Mbye (Bulldogs)
Hodkinson (Knights)
Sezer (Raiders)
Wallace (Panthers)
Marshall (Dragons)
Townsend (Sharks)
Brooks (Tigers)
Taylor (Titans)

Now you might want to argue on some of the positions, but there is no way Taylor moves from bottom as he was an unproven player at NRL level only playing 15 odd minutes of first grade due to injury on debut. Henry even admitted if Elgey had of been fit Taylor would have started the season in Q-Cup. After Hunt's excellent 2015 he was pushing the top 5 of halfbacks in the competition. Weather you want to drop him to 7th or 8th, he's at least in the top half of halfbacks in the competition at the start of the season.

Hunt has had an ok year at halfback, it definitely wasn't as good as his 2015, nor was it absolutely abysmal as some would make out on this forum. Let's now rank the halfbacks on their 2016 year:

Cronk (Storm)
Thurston (Cowboys)
Taylor (Titans)/Cleary (Panthers)
Sezer (Raiders)
Hunt (Broncos)/ Townsend (Sharks)
Pearce (Roosters)
Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
Reynolds (Rabbitohs)
Mbye (Bulldogs)
Johnson (Warriors)
Marshall (Dragons)
Hodkinson (Knights)
Brooks (Tigers)
Robson (Eels)

Some players get extra credit because their teams made finals like Hunt & Townsend, others probably lose points for not making finals like Reynolds & Cherry-Evans and others just hover like Mbye & Johnson because they had flashes, but their teams didn't exactly help them. Again, even if you want to argue Hunt should be lower on that list he still had a better season than more than half the halfbacks in the compeition - let's keep in mind only 4 had longer seasons (Cronk, Townsend. Thurston & Sezer).

I agree there are some areas of his game that he needs to work on, but given he has a year left on his contract and he's looking for big money we should give him the challenge to do it. I've said it before that I think it's far too early to dispense with the Milford/Hunt combination given the likely change in the premiership landscape that will occur over then next 2-3 years with top class players retiring. But, even I'll admit Hunt needs to make some dramatic improvements in his game management come 2017.

It would seem a very strange move to replace Hunt for Radradra considering Nikorima would likely be the Broncos half.

if you were going to base it on 2015 put Hunt in 2nd place behind JT, because that is where he finished in the GF, that is where he finished in the Dally M's (among halfbacks) and that is why he played off the bench for Australia...

i miss jack reed.

If Oates is still in the back line next season on the wing he will miss reeds passing game. Because Opacic didn't have the best passing game for big Oates

Active Now

• RodF
  • DMZ
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • LGH
  • Justwin
  • Dash
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MrMoore
  • Rookie Alan
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Redux
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Cavalo
  • Yem
  • broncs30
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.